Old Mar 11, 2016, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by LTChip
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,950 Posts
Discussion
Old Lipos and Chargers - toss or keep?

I have a bunch of small (less than 3000mah) 2-3 cell lipos which are old 2-lead packs. Some with very few cycles some are never used. All of them are more than 5 years old (some are closer to 10+)

Since they have no balancing leads, are they dangerous to use knowing what we know now?

Also, I have an Astro109 - any use for that thing?
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2016, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,843 Posts
I wouldn't use LiPo packs with no balance taps, and 5-10 year old packs are probably not in very good shape. You could add a balance tap and try them out though.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Mar 11, 2016, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,967 Posts
Toss the 109 and the packs. I lost a fb to one of those chargers that switched the cell count during the charge and burned his shop down with him inside.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 11, 2016, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by losi man
Suspended Account
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Oct 2015
2,052 Posts
its easy to solder on balance plugs... so use them since that charger is built for those types of batterys..why is it always toss it its old. no use it ..
losi man is offline Find More Posts by losi man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 12, 2016, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,843 Posts
If the charger has a dangerous flaw like the randomly changing cell count during charging then that's a pretty good reason to scrap it! Not because it's old, but because it's dangerously defective.

Balance plugs can be added to the batteries, but batteries do degrade with age so there's no point unless they're in good shape.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Mar 13, 2016, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man View Post
its easy to solder on balance plugs... so use them since that charger is built for those types of batterys..why is it always toss it its old. no use it ..
I agree with you on the batterys ... but based on what another reports about the charger .. I would bin the charger.

Balance leads are cheap enough on eBay etc and quite simple to add. It's not like trying to add main leads which are virtually impossible unless you have industrial pack welding gear.

I too am not of the 'bin it automatically' brigade.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 13, 2016, 03:56 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
If the charger has a dangerous flaw like the randomly changing cell count during charging then that's a pretty good reason to scrap it! Not because it's old, but because it's dangerously defective.

Balance plugs can be added to the batteries, but batteries do degrade with age so there's no point unless they're in good shape.
To check the condition means getting to the individual cell contacts ... no hardship if done carefully. While end of pack is open .. add the balance leads !

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 18, 2016, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by LTChip
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,950 Posts
Cool - I'll get balancing leads and do some soldering. Astro 109 is out. I'll pick up a new modern lipo charger with balancing plugs.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Mar 18, 2016, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,967 Posts
If you need taps, pay the $5.15 postage and I will USPS Priority several taps and extra wires to you. I have a box full.
PM me the cell count and quantity needed. YOU will need to take single wires out of connectors and install into the 2S and 3S JST connectors. Exacto #11 works great to press the retainer down for removal.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman