New Products Flash Sale

5 Things to Like About the Spektrum DX9

Your transmitter is the common denominator with all your RC craft. Here are 5 reasons I like my DX9.

Splash

Here are 5 things I like about the Spekrum DX9 Transmitter

I recently became the proud owner of a DX9 Black Edition transmitter from Spektrum. I thought I would share some of my favorite things about this sweet TX.

It Talks!

I have to say this was the one thing I really wanted. I do a lot of FPV flying these days so looking down at my transmitter isn't really an option. When I flip a switch it is great to hear vocally that I have switched to the right flight mode! With the telemetry function I can monitor the stuff that matters. It's also cool that I can add my own voice.

Model Match

The DX9 assigns each aircraft a unique identifier. I admit it, I have flown the wrong model on the wrong plane. That usually ends up in a pretty spectacular crash! The unique identifier feature is insurance this won't happen again!

Style

The way a transmitter looks shouldn't really matter BUT whenever one is brought up, or a new one is brought out the way it looks always seems to come up. Maybe it's like a new car. You want something reliable but you want to like the way it looks as well. The Black Edition DX9 is just sexy. All it's lacking are some Spektrum orange switch covers to push it totally over the top!

The Programming

My last transmitter was a DX so the DX9 is a no brainer. I'm a Mac user and I think if you designed it right I shouldn't have to access the manual. I have found my DX radios to be pretty intuitive. RCG editor Matt Gunn also just starting using a DX9 and he commented to me how easy he was able to make the switch.

Wireless Trainer

While the DX9 does have a trainer cord jack, the DX9 gives me the option to wirelessly "buddy box" with another DSM2/DSMX transmitter. Once bound to another transmitter I can re-link without having to go through the bind process again.

Photos

Video

DX9 9-Channel DSMX® Transmitter by Spektrum (3 min 49 sec)

Check It Out

Click here to learn more about the Black Edition DX9.

Old Feb 16, 2016, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by rpstar
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
4,252 Posts
Im very interested in how the new Dx8 compares to the Dx9. Is one channel the only difference? I assume not. I don't really need the extra channel myself so if it was feature-close I'd consider upgrading to the Dx8g2 from my current Dx8. I do agree that I like the black color scheme. I particularly like that they no longer have the "elbow" antennae that break pretty easily.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM8000
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Last edited by rpstar; Feb 16, 2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
4,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
!Forward Programming
This means I'll always have the latest firmware and any additions Spektrum makes like the recent addition of the multi-rotor model type.
Nope. Forward programming is marketing speak for programming gyros and receivers by using only the transmitter. It was announced for Airware version 2.0 when the DX9 came out. Currently the DX9 runs 1.10, so only Andy knows how it really works (and probably hates the marketing dept. for promising features way too early).....

But due to the same hardware platform all new Airware radios (except the old DX8 and DX7s) get the latest updates and many new features. If a new radio is released with new features it is likely the other ones get at least some of the features too.

Nevertheless you mentioned a couple of nice features of the current Airware range. The DX9 is THE radio for most of the ppl with enough headroom for larger or more complex models. If I hadn't 2 DX18 (one G1 and one G2) I would probably have kept the DX9 (I sold it as soon as I got my DX18G2, it just had to fill the gap until the DX18G2 came out).
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
12,748 Posts
Updated!
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by rpstar
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
4,252 Posts
Nice to hear they are doing better with passing updates on to earlier radios. The Dx8 to my knowledge never got record telemetry to SD card ability even though it was completely stupid to not have it. I ceased caring as their telemetry modules were too freaking huge to be of much use in most cases anyways. I might revisit it now that Lemon has some nice smaller DSMX telemetry capable receivers with RSSI out.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,507 Posts
Your DX8 has it if you update to the current version.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2016, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by chuck75
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Nice to hear they are doing better with passing updates on to earlier radios. The Dx8 to my knowledge never got record telemetry to SD card ability even though it was completely stupid to not have it. I ceased caring as their telemetry modules were too freaking huge to be of much use in most cases anyways. I might revisit it now that Lemon has some nice smaller DSMX telemetry capable receivers with RSSI out.
It did. But, one of the earlier DX8 (old model) software revs supported GPS, and the later rev did not.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,507 Posts
What?!? Use the current version. It has all the GPS the radio can do. It never had any more than it does right now.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2016, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by KCinNC
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
4,180 Posts
I have 2 of the older model DX7's that are both almost full with model memory. so I am slowly trying to convert all over to my DX9. I truly love both Radios.
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 20, 2016, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,416 Posts
The things I hate about 'DX-9', scrolling through ABC and symbols to program new model name, and the horrible rough "feel" of the rear sliders. I would expect the basic functions like these of some better way!
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Feb 20, 2016, 05:59 PM
Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
514 Posts
The rough feel rear sliders are an easy fix. I too did not like the rough feel as I use one of then to tilt my camera gimbal and I wanted it to have a smooth feel. I removed the back of my dx9 to find the rear sliders have a screw on ratchet plate that can be removed. Mine are now silky smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
The things I hate about 'DX-9', scrolling through ABC and symbols to program new model name, and the horrible rough "feel" of the rear sliders. I would expect the basic functions like these of some better way!
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Feb 20, 2016, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by William A
Tacoma, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
What?!? Use the current version. It has all the GPS the radio can do. It never had any more than it does right now.

Andy
Maybe it's in a software update, but my DX8 with 3.01 does not do GPS. Never has.

Also,
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...patibility.PDF
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Feb 20, 2016, 07:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,507 Posts
It was never removed. That was my point. It might be there or not, I don't remember.

I have it in mine but I'm running v3.02 (not released). Its not the full one that's in the modern radios.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2016, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by William A
Tacoma, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,833 Posts
Ah, gotcha.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by aerocal
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
3,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William A View Post
Maybe it's in a software update, but my DX8 with 3.01 does not do GPS. Never has
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It was never removed. That was my point. It might be there or not, I don't remember.
I have it in mine but I'm running v3.02 (not released). Its not the full one that's in the modern radios.
Andy
Im running 3.01 on mine and GPS is available and functional.If you have further questions about your Dx8 please find the appropriate thread.

Jim
Sorry we got off track and sort of hijacked your thread. So back to the topic at hand. DX9
I love my DX9. The antenna is a work of art. Its looks to me like a Monument.
The Japanese radios look like Transformers to me. Many Europeans seem to like the desk looking(tray) Txs with switches and sticks on them. To me the DX9 looks and feels American. I like it.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal