New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Mad Man Marko
United States, CT, Montville
Joined Jan 2005
21 Posts
Discussion
New electronics in vintage radio transmitters

I have a few old EK champion and Hobby Lobby 5 transmitters and would like to add Spektrum electronics internally but still use the EK tx and sticks. Does anyone know the value of the pots for the EK sticks and trim pots and if they would interface with the spectrum encoder circuitry.
Thanks
Mad Man Marko is offline Find More Posts by Mad Man Marko
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
1,090 Posts
Don't know specifically about the EK/Hobby Lobby variety, but most of the transmitters from Kraft/Heathkit systems of that era (looking at the old schematics) were 5K mains, and 50K or 47K trims. Best to grab a VOM and test across the two outer leads to make sure, though.

You using a modern encoder, or are you planning to adapt an older encoder to 2.4 GHz?
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Sep 05, 2015, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Mad Man Marko
United States, CT, Montville
Joined Jan 2005
21 Posts
New electronics in older transmitters

I was thinking of using the entire encoder and RF circuit from the 2.4 Ghz Spectrum just use the old sticks and case.
Mad Man Marko is offline Find More Posts by Mad Man Marko
Old Sep 05, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Thermals, Tom
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,923 Posts
I had Radio South (now in Muncie) help me with the conversion of some old Kraft TXs to 2.4.

I've been using these after giving up on Spektrum a few years ago and haven't had any issues.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Sep 06, 2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marko View Post
I have a few old EK champion and Hobby Lobby 5 transmitters and would like to add Spektrum electronics internally but still use the EK tx and sticks. Does anyone know the value of the pots for the EK sticks and trim pots and if they would interface with the spectrum encoder circuitry.
The resistance of the pots doesn't matter so much. We use 5K pots in the radios. What matters is the range over which they travel. If they don't go close-enough to the 0V and 3V values, they won't be able to calibrate.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by PAT-T
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
592 Posts
Hi,
Another option is to get an Arduino encoder from Phil Green.
At singlechannel.uk. He can program them for you either forAETR or TEAR. He also can deliver you a PCB to mount the Arduino on. But it is easy to make you board yourself. That encoder gives you up to 7 channels, DR and EX. Only one model memory, and also Single channel emulation. You have to tell him what DIY RF module you want to use. To much info to tell here. Any questions, you are welcome.
Regards,
Pat
PAT-T is offline Find More Posts by PAT-T
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by PAT-T
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
592 Posts
Some more pics. This one is working with FrSKY, in 26 hours of flight never had one glitch. Range is plenty, at least for my eyes. I also have a reed transmitter working on Spectrum/OR RF module with Spectrum receivers.
Last edited by PAT-T; Sep 20, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by PAT-T
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
592 Posts
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=97589

I just visited Phil's thread, and recently it is even more simple to get an Arduino in your TX.

So I'm guessing this will be the standard PCB for retro-refits now, and I've updated the "7ch + S/C mix encoder" document to include this board, its item P16 on the Archive page of www.singlechannel.co.uk

You can email Phil Green at philg@talk21.com

Regards
Last edited by PAT-T; Sep 20, 2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by PAT-T
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
592 Posts
Last available version from Phil.