New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by phillysoftpretz
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2014
27 Posts
Hey Robca

It was M-538 aluminum bar stock which I believe is 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch. I don't notice vibrations myself I do see a wobble which I'm attributing to the roll motor PIDs. I also made the vibration mount out of aluminum sheet and went a little overkill on the dampening balls maybe that helped. You are correct about the pitch and roll motors the yaw motor is a BR2804-100T I found on ebay for $13 USD it performs quite well actually. The surprising thing is I got 18 minutes of flight time on my f450 + gimbal with my smaller 3s 5200mah battery. I was not expecting that.
phillysoftpretz is offline Find More Posts by phillysoftpretz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoftpretz View Post
Hey Robca

It was M-538 aluminum bar stock which I believe is 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch. I don't notice vibrations myself I do see a wobble which I'm attributing to the roll motor PIDs. I also made the vibration mount out of aluminum sheet and went a little overkill on the dampening balls maybe that helped. You are correct about the pitch and roll motors the yaw motor is a BR2804-100T I found on ebay for $13 USD it performs quite well actually. The surprising thing is I got 18 minutes of flight time on my f450 + gimbal with my smaller 3s 5200mah battery. I was not expecting that.
Looks like I can get this at Home Depot for about $6. How did you cut and bend it?
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by cyhyam
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca View Post
I seem to see in your picture that you used the FPV Line 2204 motors for pitch and roll, and something bigger for yaw?
I used 2204 on all axis, it works great. Finished weight gimbal, damper plate, controller, and Mobius 176.6 grams.
Name: my gimbal 1.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 201.4 KB
Description:
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM
Joined Mar 2015
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
I used 2204 on all axis, it works great. Finished weight gimbal, damper plate, controller, and Mobius 176.6 grams.
Attachment 7898135
Looks great! Is that carbon fiber? If so, where did you get it and did you have to shape it yourself? Mind sharing your PIDs?
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
Joined Mar 2015
392 Posts
How do you guys think this will fare with a Mobius?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FPV-M...282215216.html

I'm mainly looking for something more rigid than my 3D printed frame to avoid all the wobble.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleX View Post
Looks great! Is that carbon fiber? If so, where did you get it and did you have to shape it yourself? Mind sharing your PIDs?
All carbon, the arms are laminated carbon with end grain balsa core, very stiff. I laid them up with carbon cloth and vacuum bag. I already shut down the computer for the night, I'll get you the PIDs tomorrow. I did make a calibration block to calibrate the IMU that is mounted under the camera.
Last edited by cyhyam; Yesterday at 12:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,196 Posts
[quote=whifflex;31703931]looks great! Is that carbon fiber? If so, where did you get it and did you have to shape it yourself? Mind sharing your pids?
Name: PID 5-24-14.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 65.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by cyhyam; Yesterday at 09:30 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
Joined Mar 2015
392 Posts
[QUOTE=cyhyam;31705693]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whifflex View Post
looks great! Is that carbon fiber? If so, where did you get it and did you have to shape it yourself? Mind sharing your pids?
Attachment 7898752
Wow, those are some high I values. I'm using SimpleBGC and my I's are .4. I guess your board can't really be compared to mine. What are your thoughts on the aluminum frame I shared a couple posts back? Do you think it'll get a similar result as your carbon laminated balsa? Where did you get your materials?
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,196 Posts
I think the 1/8 aluminum is good. The advantage of the carbon is it will never change shape and its light. It is real important to have the gimbal balanced. When using aluminum if an arm bends even slightly the balance is lost and you have to realign from the start. The carbon cloth and epoxy can be found at Aircraft Spruce.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,196 Posts
Does the simple BGC board have 2 IMUs, one on the board and one to mount on the last axis (camera) ?
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2015
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
Does the simple BGC board have 2 IMUs, one on the board and one to mount on the last axis (camera) ?
I'm not sure if it has one on the board, but it's the full size one sold on Goodluckbuy.