SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
I just maidened my Ultra Stick 25E with an Eflite 32 motor, 60 amp ESC, running on 4S 3300mah 40C batteries. It fly's great but it seems gutless. I'm using an 11X5.5 prop. I have another Ultra Stick 25E using an Eflite 25 and on 3s 30 C batteries using a 12X6 prop and it has almost the same power as the 32. Any ideas why the 32 setup is so doggy. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Hey, congratulations!

Go ahead and try a 12X6 on the 25e, that should wake things up.
Things are drying up quickly here. Our field opens this weekend!
Wamp is online now Find More Posts by Wamp
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2015, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,646 Posts
Fun day yesterday, I got to push the Ultra Stick a bit more and know it better. Didn't get many opportunities to fly it yet, especially since the prop change, fined tuned the D/R more to my liking and looking forward to fly it more this season!

Very happy with the current power setup and prop, a bit less with my Zippy Compact 25C 4000mAh 3S LiPos. It seems the plane doesn't balance quite right with these and they feel less punchy than my venerable 30C 3S 4000 "blue" Turnigy packs, even though I don't pull above 40A at WOT. Telemetry recorded some figures I'm eager to dissect.

On the downside much aileron trim to the left is still required... Removing some right thrust angle didn't help a bit, OTOH it didn't make things worse either, so root cause still not clearly identified. I may hold another culprit as upon close examination the right inner flap may be sitting a bit high... It could account for triggering some rolling to the right. There's also a bit of play with its control rod which I don't like so I'll be replacing it, and we'll see how it goes.
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old May 16, 2015, 06:29 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,646 Posts
... How to avoid losing another Ultra Stick...

Working on the flap linkage which was a bit loose I realized by chance the wing trunnions were wobbly. And sure enough with a gentle pull one of them came out clean. Not a single hint of glue where it is supposed to be joined to the wing spar (a tiny chip of wood came off the wing leading edge so it was only glued there apparently).

The other trunnion is wobbly at the leading edge but it doesn't seem it will come off the wing spar that easily.

I can see through the hole for the servo leads that the trunnions don't clear the spar, they're just barely inserted into it, no wonder it's a fragile assembly. I'm thinking about replacing the trunnions with slightly longer ones (so that they clear the spar inside the wing in the same way they clear the leading edge) and swamp the assembly with epoxy.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by G.P.
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Canada, AB
Joined May 2005
6,739 Posts
Good find. Mine were fine, but others have reported the same issue. I added some extra ca just in case and haven't any issues after years of flying my us25 hard, and a good majority of that with the added weight of floats attached.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old May 17, 2015, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by clive45
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,642 Posts
What do you mean by wing trunnions.............................
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old May 17, 2015, 06:12 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,646 Posts
Maybe this is not the right word? I'm sorry. I'm speaking of the wooden plugs sticking out of the leading edge and holding the wing to the fuselage.
Old May 17, 2015, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by clive45
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,642 Posts
Ahhhh Thats what I thought. My leading edge was made from very soft balsa and sadly the pegs broke free and the aircraft fuse was destroyed the wing survived. I replaced the broken leading edge with better balsa and a ply plate behind it.
The supplier replaced the whole aircraft for me so I guess others had complained about the problem, I put a ply plate on the new wing as well and re-glued the pegs.
Problem solved.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old May 17, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Ahhhh Thats what I thought. My leading edge was made from very soft balsa and sadly the pegs broke free and the aircraft fuse was destroyed the wing survived. I replaced the broken leading edge with better balsa and a ply plate behind it.
The supplier replaced the whole aircraft for me so I guess others had complained about the problem, I put a ply plate on the new wing as well and re-glued the pegs.
Problem solved.
I was suspect of that area and were the pegs mount.
I poked pin holes and cut small slits and wicked in thin ca.
The fuse it self got soaked in ca here and there.
Also beads of thick rubberized ca firmed things up.
Balsa soaked in Ca sure turns into something different!
Old Today, 04:56 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,646 Posts
Well it seems carpenter's glue did the trick... The missing peg was glued back, and I let some of the glue get into the leading edge along the remaining wobbly peg, now that it has cured nothing seems to be moving any more.

We'll see after next flight!
Old Today, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
Well it seems carpenter's glue did the trick... The missing peg was glued back, and I let some of the glue get into the leading edge along the remaining wobbly peg, now that it has cured nothing seems to be moving any more.

We'll see after next flight!
Sure have gone through 'Tightbond' carpenter's glue over the years.
I tend to forget about it in the hobby, for some reason!
I do use it on guitars, though purests prefer hide glue.
Hide or rabbit skin glue would probably work on fabric covering.
Thanks
Old Today, 09:12 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,646 Posts
I've built so many control line planes with this glue back in my younger days (as well as my first RC glider), I just can't quite forget the sensation of dried white glue peeling of my fingers