New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,596 Posts
If you're not up for rolling your own replacement horn, you may be able to buy a suitable replacement from an online retailer that caters to RC micro-flight - such as BSD, Plantraco, etc. The most important part is to make sure the geometry is the same on both ailerons - which may require replacing both control horns if you opt for a ready-made solution instead of making a replacement.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by wasork
Joined Dec 2014
218 Posts
I sure wish they'd come up with a way to use threaded rods and micro clevises.
wasork is offline Find More Posts by wasork
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by wasork
Joined Dec 2014
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
That's odd. I've never had an issue with either of my Sbach 3Ds on 2s when they spool-up smoothly on the bench with no servo jitters at any throttle setting. On 3s, I had to get rid of the slop in the elevator & rudder horns with the ca 'bearing' trick. I also had to stiffen the horizontal stab and elevator with CF rods, and I added glue fillets to the root of both stabs for good measure. The elevator & rudder pushrods are all the way in on the horns, and the ailerons are in the second hole out.

Sounds to me like a case of excessive play in the pushrod holes. That's the about the only thing I can think of that can cause oscillations in flight on 2s when everything's smooth on the ground. How much play is present when you try to gently move the control surfaces with a fingertip?

Regarding the ca 'bearings', I found that a shot of kicker makes it easier to get the bond to break only at the pushrod, thereby leaving the ca inside the hole intact.

Joel
Thanks for the info. I'll brace up the elevator with CF rod since I already have some. Can't hurt. I'll try cracking off the CA from my bearing attempt before and re-do it if possible. The only thing that changed from last time was I had to replace the elevator servo since the original one would stick full down even with travel reduced to 95% and a Deoxit F5 treatment.
wasork is offline Find More Posts by wasork
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasork View Post
I sure wish they'd come up with a way to use threaded rods and micro clevises.
When I do have to work with them, I do curse and balk a bit, BUT I do have to admit for light weight, and for keeping in trim once you get them right, it would be tough to beat their current simple system.

As to the horns, you can buy the control arms and plates as replacement items. I have replaced some that got bent, broken or loose over time. In fact, the interface between the foam and the base is a place that more people seem to over look, and I find that it's one of the most common sources of slop on these critters.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
Find a thin piece of plastic from some packaging or whatever. Use the old one as a template, cut to size and carefully drill a hole no bigger than it needs to be for the rod to fit. I have never purchased a control horn. On bigger planes, a cut up credit card does well.
thanks for the advice bud. worked like a charm
noobiznessflying is online now Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Apr 08, 2015, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by skytek
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
590 Posts
After a harrier drop belly landing the other night my elevator no longer responds. Is the brick dead? Everything else works.
skytek is offline Find More Posts by skytek
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:12 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek View Post
After a harrier drop belly landing the other night my elevator no longer responds. Is the brick dead? Everything else works.
linkage jammed? Grit in servo gear? horn tore loose from flight surface and now just wiggles? The main thing is to look at (and or feel) the servo and determine if it is even trying to move -- you might have to remove the linkage... if it's not even trying, maybe the servo connector popped out of the control board. If you have to get inside, you can swap the ele and rud servo to determine if it's the board or if it's the servo.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:06 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
linkage jammed? Grit in servo gear? horn tore loose from flight surface and now just wiggles? The main thing is to look at (and or feel) the servo and determine if it is even trying to move -- you might have to remove the linkage... if it's not even trying, maybe the servo connector popped out of the control board. If you have to get inside, you can swap the ele and rud servo to determine if it's the board or if it's the servo.
Great suggestions, thanks a lot! It's not even trying to move or making a sound. I'll try your tips and report back.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
11,015 Posts
Quote:
Great suggestions, thanks a lot! It's not even trying to move or making a sound. I'll try your tips and report back.
Is the elevator stuck or is it centered?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 08, 2015, 03:23 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,911 Posts
good question, bhoov!

if it is off-center, then it is likely mechanically stick.

if skytek can just roll the big gear with his finger, to get the lead screw moving manually, then sometimes that gets it off of a spot of dirt on the carbon strip underneath, and a balky servo starts working again!

you can also feel whether there is anything resisting you, like grit in the gears (power off). With power on, you can tell if it is trying to slew to the correct location.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 09:10 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
590 Posts
I opened it up to find that the connector was ever so slightly loose. I clicked it back in and all is well. However, it seems that if it comes out even 0.25mm it's enough to break the connection. I may put a tiny blob of goop glue or something else easy to remove over it to secure it.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 12:29 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,911 Posts
Quote:
I opened it up to find that the connector was ever so slightly loose. I clicked it back in and all is well. However, it seems that if it comes out even 0.25mm it's enough to break the connection. I may put a tiny blob of goop glue or something else easy to remove over it to secure it.
Glad you got it!

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:53 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
590 Posts
This thread is so quiet these days. There are no posts for weeks at a time. I guess you're all just so busy flying your Sbachs that you have no time to post
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by kitetricks
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
542 Posts
Quote:
This thread is so quiet these days. There are no posts for weeks at a time. I guess you're all just so busy flying your Sbachs that you have no time to post
Flying , Glueing , repeat
kitetricks is offline Find More Posts by kitetricks