HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
Discussion
FPV Radios

Hello,

I have flown a Super Cub for a while, have mastered basic aerobatics with it and would now like to get into FPV. After various threads on this forum I realized that you cannot use 2.4Ghz video RX/TX if you have a 2.4 Ghz radio for the plane. I tested the remote on the stock super cub and it had a range of just a few hundred feet so you guys must use a more professional remotes like Spektrum, Futaba or Jr, which are all 2.4Ghz. From various threads and FPV stores I got the impression that most of you have a 2.4Ghz Video RX/TX so what kind of remotes do you fly with?
shmo70 is offline Find More Posts by shmo70
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Most people flying with 2.4 R/C use 900Mhz video

Most people flying with 2.4 Video, use standard 72Mhz R/C
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
thanks galaxiex,

for someone that doesn't have a decent radio yet, Would recommend getting a 2.4 Radio or an older 72 MHz Radio. I would like a low priced FPV setup now but also one that would not be too expensive to upgrade in the future to unlock more range ( mile, maybe more..) Are there any dramatic differences between the two systems?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmo70
thanks galaxiex,

for someone that doesn't have a decent radio yet, Would recommend getting a 2.4 Radio or an older 72 MHz Radio. I would like a low priced FPV setup now but also one that would not be too expensive to upgrade in the future to unlock more range ( mile, maybe more..) Are there any dramatic differences between the two systems?
Dramatic differences? YES!

2.4 = new technology... 72Mhz = older technology, but still valid...

Might be tough to do this on a budget, AND have upgradablity.

Most of the less expensive radios are not upgradable.

Cheap FPV can be done, but to get more range later will probably mean starting over and buying the "good stuff".

I have flown my Spektrum DX6i 2.4 gear out 1 mile with no problems.

Really, I am probably not the best one to answer you, I have only been flying about 1.5 years now.

Maybe someone with more experience could chime in?

FWIW you could get a Spektrum DX6i for a good price, and later go for a (more expensive? better? ) system later.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,321 Posts
Well it really depends on where you live. You'd have to check your local laws and such.

I fly in the states and in a urban area. In the urban environment I'll fly with 2.4ghz control and 900mhz video. There is quite a few 'rogue' people out there flying park fliers in my area. I switched to 2.4ghz to avoid these people. It's like why risk losing $500 in equipment?

When I fly out in the Arizona desert I'll use whatever radio I have available. There's less chance of bumping into someone on 72mhz out in the middle of nowhere. Especially when the closest grocery store is 20 miles away. My old 2.4ghz Black Widow setup looks great out there.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
The bulk of my flying will be done in a suburban North East. I've never seen another RC planes in the neighborhood where I fly but I have noticed the Super Cub doing weird things (probably because of radio interference) a few times. I guess I should take the safe route and go with a Spektrum dx6i or dx7 ( based on ebay sales) controller unless you can suggest something better. I know the head tracker will require a Futaba radio but those are too expensive.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:40 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
You could always look into a used modular radio. Most of the older Futaba 9CAP and better can be used on 72mhz or on Futaba's own 2.4Ghz modules.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:45 AM
Northern VA
Joined May 2007
296 Posts
Adding to the above post, the Futabas can also use Spectrum modules to allow them to use the less expensive spektrum receivers.
nathanj988 is offline Find More Posts by nathanj988
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Here is some info on 2.4 R/C radio tech...

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/24ghz.htm

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/24scanner.htm
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
I have been on the lookout for Dx6, DX7 and Fubata 7C but have not seen any for less than $150 (with transmitter) and $120 (without). These are kind of expensive. Can you suggest other transmitters to search for?

What do you guys think about DX5e that is included with the PZ Radian RTF
Old Jan 03, 2009, 12:09 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Honestly you get what you pay for, I got a new Futaba 9c with a synthesised receiver and its unreal!! ... only thing is its not very secure as typicalaimster mentioned.

Try hobbycity.com they have some cheap spektrum transmitters...

I was going to geta bare futaba 9c transmitter from servocity.com and then buy some modules for it but I found it all localy for around the same price.

Spend the most money on your radio gear as its the most important for FPV !
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:51 AM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
Well how do crystals on a 72mhz system work ( I'm a noob to RC too)? The crystals must have a unique ID, which are used to match your RX to TX, right? Whats is the probability that 2 people will get the same crystal?

I realize that 2.4Ghz is so expensive now is because everyone is upgrading from 72mhz to 2.4ghz so beside the fact that 2.4 recievers have model matching systems that make them very secure and operate on an entire spectrum making them more reliable how much better are they really? Would you say its a 2x, 3x improvement in range + reliability? If the improvement is lower then I may get a used 72mhz system now and wait to enjoy low range FPV and wait for my funds to build back up before getting a 2.4GHZ system.

I liked that DX6i has aileron/rudder mixing option. This would allow me to use the aileron stick to pan the camera but if this costs an extra $100 then I can learn to live without it for a while.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:08 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Crystal in a 72mhz system define what channel you are on. There are I believe 49 72mhz channels so if someone is one the same channel as you they will cause interference.

With that said, I fly 72mhz Futaba 7CHP with a dual conversian PCM receiver. A system like that could be had for 150-200. Like others said this is one of the most important parts of your FPV system. Don't skimp here as you will find your self with a crashed or lost plane.

If you are just getting into this I would suggest you get a 72mhz PCM Radio system and then you can get either 2.4ghz or 900mhz video.

Take a look in the for sale section of RCGroups as you will find great deals on used Futaba 7 and 9 radios.

Igor
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,321 Posts
They do not have a Unique ID, they broadcast on a set frequency. Keep in mind this is analog vs digital transmission. If someone on the same channel broadcasts within close proximity of your plane, there is a very good chance of a crash. If you're flying at your local field, say within 2000' this may not be a issue. AS LONG as someone at that field doesn't start transmitting on your frequency. The problem is most FPV'ers get curious and like to explore. The further out you go, the weaker the signal gets. If someone else broadcasts on your same channel, and your plane picks up on that stronger signal, that's when things are going to go bad very quickly...

As I stated above it all depends on where you are flying. If your out in the country, chances are you won't get struck down. If your flying in a City/Urban area your chances will increase. To give you an idea I live in Fairfax, Va. I have roughly about 7 AMA sanctioned fields within a hours driving distance. To drill down even more I have 4 fields within 30 minutes. There are numerous parks and various fields I've ran into other RC fliers. In fact while I was driving home I saw a group of people flying off at a construction site.

The price on 2.4ghz radios is the same as 72mhz radios were when they were the prime system. Now that people are unloading their 72mhz radios it is possible to pick one up on the cheep. Yes you can fly FPV on 72mhz and many of us have in the past. Many of us have invested large sums of money into our FPV equipment. A single crash from a radio failure could be disastrous and set a few of us back financially. That's why we've gone the 2.4ghz route. It's just simple peace of mind.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
edit