SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Feb 2007
1,271 Posts
Question
Cars for almost 5y/o twins??

Hello.... I'm a model airplane pilot, so first time over with you guys in the Car dept. I have a 25 y/o tamiya Grasshopper RC car that I fired up last night (with modern electronics), and it is Fast as He$$!! Too fast for my kids.

I'm looking for something for xmas season for my two 4.5 y/o boys. I looked at the Losi line a bit, and the Associated models. I think RTR is probably the way to go with this age, but I dont want to buy total crap! I'm trying avoid the Target landfill phenomenon. I'm an experienced builder, so Kits dont scare me off.

Any recommendations appreciated. I'd like to be able to slow them down for training/safety purposes, early on in the process.

thanks

Ben
skinnydoc is offline Find More Posts by skinnydoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:45 PM
Mississauga Ontario Canada
Joined Jan 2006
753 Posts
Maybe the Losi Micro-T? You can just put in the smallest pinion gear to get it to moove slower. They can be alot of fun indoors!
RC flight is offline Find More Posts by RC flight
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,271 Posts
burly enough?

are they somewhat durable?

are the parts pretty available?

can they be used in moist environments?

(if you can ans any of these questions.... thanks!!)

Ben
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,507 Posts
skinnydoc,
They are extremely durable, my two year old even stepped on my Micro t with no damage. Used inside and out. Check u tube and see some of the stunts people do with them.
Steve
sleb is online now Find More Posts by sleb
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
Joined Aug 2008
73 Posts
very durable, very affordable, and very very cheap parts. i mean i am 24, 6' tall and 180lbs and i have pretty much full on stepped on mine and did not have it break!

plus, they come FULLY RTR, even the batts for the transmitter and battery charger come included! you really can't do much better. i mean, you can find cheaper, like those little crap ones from wal-mart or meijers, but they are garbage and are really not fixable when broken!

trust me, you would not be dissapointed!

EDIT:
only thing i would really recommend doing right off the bat are for sure the threaded axles, as stock they have the tiniest little e-clips you have ever seen holding on the wheels, and are nearly impossible to get back on! i think they are like 7 bucks for the set.

other than that, you might want to consider getting the bearings for the wheels, as they come stock with bushings. adding the bearings ($11 bucks) give you a good extra 4-7 mins of runtime i have noticed, as there is much less resistance.
StrangE2u is offline Find More Posts by StrangE2u
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
4 Posts
i'd start them out with mini-t's or actually, their not losi but radio shack xmods would be great for an on road car
kaianuanu is offline Find More Posts by kaianuanu
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
362 Posts
My opinion "i'v owned most of the micro vehicles out there"

Mini T will be slow "slow enough for a child stock" but even stock you will probably need to invest another 20bucks or more to make it "crash proof" for child play.

the RC18T is tough.. i mean REALLY tough i'v put brushless and lipo's on the stock set up and it does just fine. Only down side is STOCK the rc18t WILL BE TO FAST!!!! its actualy incredibaly fast for a stock RTR kit.

I was just thinking today what RC vehicle to get my Brothers 4 year old son and was thinking the Losi Rock crawler is also VERY durable, pretty slow... slow enough for a child to play with and it will go in the tall grass, rocks, dirt piles that a child would play with it in. Unfortionatly it is a rock crawler and might not look as cool as something your "his fother" is driving.

pictures of the 3 products.
P.S. I have never tested any of my vehicles in serious moist conditions....... might be something to look into though.
rusty gearz is offline Find More Posts by rusty gearz
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,271 Posts
thanks for the advice...

I'll take a look at 'em!

Ben
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:04 AM
Joined Jun 2005
61 Posts
Kyosho Mini-Monster ... got it for my son ..
Nitrojunk is offline Find More Posts by Nitrojunk
Old Nov 25, 2008, 03:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
438 Posts
IMO the 18T, just get a 10T pinion and turn down the "ATV" on the throttle (slows it down), i must confess its MIGHTY fast for an RTR, my car has seen crash, crash, crash (mostly bad jumps ) and it still works, amazling little thing
calvino is offline Find More Posts by calvino
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,271 Posts
voltage question...

I notice the cars are all 7.2V NiMhs. How much time do you get out of the "standard" 7.2 battery in say a rc18t, stock setup??

I use 3s batteries in my prop planes, at 11.2V lipo. Is this usable? I put my 11.2V 2500 in my Grasshopper car, with my Spektrum rx (air) and an air ESC, and it is fast as hell, but maybe this is too much for that old electric motor. And, as stated, I can only go forward!'

do the car esc's accept 11.2V??

any info appreciated.

ben
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoc
I notice the cars are all 7.2V NiMhs. How much time do you get out of the "standard" 7.2 battery in say a rc18t, stock setup??

I use 3s batteries in my prop planes, at 11.2V lipo. Is this usable? I put my 11.2V 2500 in my Grasshopper car, with my Spektrum rx (air) and an air ESC, and it is fast as hell, but maybe this is too much for that old electric motor. And, as stated, I can only go forward!'

do the car esc's accept 11.2V??

any info appreciated.

ben
The stock 18T battery easily gives 20minute run times.
Swap to brushless and run the 3s, but the stock setup will fry pretty quickly.
You won't be able to fit the 2500mah in there though.
I use a 1200mah 3s, and the fit is really tight.

Ron
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:43 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
BTW- Associated 18th scalers are the perfect match for your kids as presents.

Ron
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,271 Posts
thanks...

thanks for that.

too bad they are $150 each (minimum)!

I think I'll try to kit out my Grasshopper first, and shoot for next xmas, or bday first.

thanks for all the advice.

Ben