HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:06 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Got a nice few flights in on the FPV Radian today. Even though I had a few video issues, the Dragon Link performed flawlessly.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Stuart !

Hi Chris......How are you....
SMFC... Southern Model Flying Club... Based in Bandon...
We were down at the Old Head of Kinsale...

I was down there 2 weels ago as well with the club
flying my Phoenix 2000....
There's a MACI Gliding site there...

[url]rl]

Sean
Sorry Sean, I knew it started with an "S" ...

I know the site, I've flown there a few times.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:02 PM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Pen got my joke. Too bad some of you did not did not.

Furthermore since YOU had no involvement in the original topic then by our own definition you have no say here, unless you are just trying to feel that you belong.
I did did.

'viper, kapton', pen, et al....you guys must be alter egos of Gene, Nav', Chuck and others on the SC #4 thread.

Glad to see the Radian thread lighten UP! Partly what catchin' thermals is all about.

jo
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
All personal crusades in PM, please...
Stick to the Radian

Ouch! First, check the motor bell/ can, it's plastic so even normal use can result in cracks (check the PZ ME109 thread...). Second, remove the prop/ spinner and see how the motor is running on its own. If the motor is smooth, then you might need a new spinner/ prop if you cannot balance the current one. Be very careful running an unbalanced plastic motor, it's just a matter of time before it quits, could cost you a crash, even though a motor failure isn't as critical on a glider as on a warbird.

Btw. maidened mine yesterday evening, never had a 3-channel plane with di-polyhedral before, was a nerve wracking experience until I finally accepted that the ship won't capsize She flew well, very floaty, easy as pie to catch, no need to bellyland. There wasn't too much wind, but I was surrounded by 20m tall trees, so the wind I had was 'bumpy'. The Zippy 1.3Ah 15C pack failed miserably, at least I couldn't stand listening to the low voltage buzzer even at 50% throttle, so I changed it to the 1.3Ah Turnigy Nano, slightly heavier, partly due to beefier wire. No issues there, good power, it went up almost vertical.

I was pleased with the maiden, but decided to call it quits soon. This ship needs low winds/ thermals, or a constant and 'clean' wind, preferably on a gentle slope, turbulence and bumpy air isn't its strength.

All I need now is some more sunshine
Thanks MC. Good to hear your flying well. What's the best way to slow her down for catch? I still haven't figured out the knack for slowing her down nicely for a catch landing. I'm flying against the wind but some are faster than others I guess I'll have to figure out what I was doing the times I was able to manage to slow her down and catch her nicely!

Think I eliminated most the noise from my loud motor - opened up the prop cone and there was a big lump of dirt on one side while the other side was clean so I cleaned all that out thinking it may have been causing balance issues.
desodon is offline Find More Posts by desodon
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Stuart !

Hi Chris......How are you....
SMFC... Southern Model Flying Club... Based in Bandon...
We were down at the Old Head of Kinsale...

I was down there 2 weels ago as well with the club
flying my Phoenix 2000....
There's a MACI Gliding site there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D38vtdJ_AKE

Sean
Nice footage there Sean! Not sure if you know the town but I got some footage of Castletownroche (outside Mallow) yesterday! Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/desodon#p/a/u/0/D38vtdJ_AKE
desodon is offline Find More Posts by desodon
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Thanks MC. Good to hear your flying well.
Thanks, good to hear you figured out the cause of the vibrations!

Quote:
What's the best way to slow her down for catch? I still haven't figured out the knack for slowing her down nicely for a catch landing. I'm flying against the wind but some are faster than others I guess I'll have to figure out what I was doing the times I was able to manage to slow her down and catch her nicely!
First of all, you need good 'clean' air/wind with no turbulence. Hilltops, trees, large bushes, etc. all cause turbulence, which makes the approach hairy. So, while a steady moderate wind helps you to lower the ground speed for the catch, it's also the cause of turbulence of which the separation layer is the worst place to be! Look for the blue line on this pic:

http://www.rcsail.com/ds1.jpg

Remember, the more wind the longer/ flatter the separation layer.

With my first glider (Ripmax FOX) every single landing was nerve-wracking until I realized the hilltop I was standing even in the slightest breeze formed a small separation layer which resulted in an bumpy approach. The fix was simple, move away from the hilltop...
With the radian, no brakes, spoilers, and an excellent glide ratio, your only option is a flat approach, so a flat clean area is essential for easy undramatic landings. What you do not want to do is to stall the plane, since the nose is quite fragile, so what you should do is to practice flying on the stall speed limit in a safe height, and learn to anticipate the stall... The power-line has plenty of oomph, so if you are ready with the throttle, you can easily pull out of difficulties given the nose hasn't already dropped 45 degrees... When you have a pretty good idea about the stall speed, then you should try to do some low passes with just enough throttle to make the propeller spin, hereby eliminating the folding-lang of the prop. So a few low passes like this, and sooner or later you'll simply grab it without any hesitation.

Oh, one more thing, I've only flown her with a (light) 1.3Ah and a beefy 1.3Ah battery, I don't know how she handles with larger packs.

Quote:
Think I eliminated most the noise from my loud motor - opened up the prop cone and there was a big lump of dirt on one side while the other side was clean so I cleaned all that out thinking it may have been causing balance issues.
A lump of dirt usually weighs more than 1" of packing tape (that's what's usually used for balancing a prop). Just make sure there aren't any cracks on the bell (you can check that through the hatch), and make sure the shaft is not bent, otherwise happy flying
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:02 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Nice footage there Sean! Not sure if you know the town but I got some footage of Castletownroche (outside Mallow) yesterday! Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/desodon#p/a/u/0/D38vtdJ_AKE
Yeah I know it,been to a few car boot sales there...

Looks like you had a better day then we had , down at the old head of kinsale...
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2009
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
BTW, the comment about all that stuff on the top of the wing affecting the "lifting surface". If I recall my high school physics lessons correctly, the top surface doesn't "lift". It creates the low pressure zone so that the higher pressure zone under the wing can push the wing up. A bit of a nit pick, but then, it seems people in this hobby do nit pick anyway.
My question was directed at Pen and it was intended to be a sincere question as noted by the ? mark

Not intended to "nit pick", but my only experience is FPV & AP with Helicopters

I'm new to the Radian and trying to get where Pen has already been with regard to AP.

If you are the resident expert on fluid dynamics it would be helpful to me and I'm sure others to understand why one should disturb the airflow that has the highest velocity?

Thanks in advance for your help
Navigator53 is offline Find More Posts by Navigator53
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:56 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
If you are the resident expert on fluid dynamics it would be helpful to me and I'm sure others to understand why one should disturb the airflow that has the highest velocity?
High school physics does NOT qualify me to be the "resident expert on fluid dynamics", but thanks for your sarcarsm anyway.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:46 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for reply...
it say's in the add...
"Please note that the Spektrum Special Edition DX7 transmitter was designed by Spektrum with the professional pilot in mind and therefore has a much faster response time when used with the fast receivers such as the AR7600. It does not have the buddy lead facility, and the DX7 SE transmitter is not upgradeable to DSMX technology".....

I would not call my self a professional pilot,,,,more of a weekend flyer
So if I'm not useing the AR700 the response time with a AR500 Rx would be normal ???
Note that you can not upgrade the DX7 SE to the new (DSM2x?) protocol that came out recently. I think the new receivers are compatible with both, so not a big deal for now. Even Spektrum says you don't really need it unless attending large group flyins.

Edit: Whoops - OP already knows that. Sorry!

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:55 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,588 Posts
I just watch a video on the DSMX and they do mention that by sending the DX7 in they will upgrade it to DSMX but they never mention the DX7 SE, very strange that the SE would not be upgradable.

I also dont fly in major events that would require the DSMX to be on the safer side of things
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:14 PM
Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
My question was directed at Pen and it was intended to be a sincere question as noted by the ? mark
I really don't know whether mounting stuff over or under is better. I am quite sure that the best to do is keep everything inside if possible like TDisaster has done!

Mine does seem to fly pretty good but I bet TDisaster's flies better.
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:01 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Just wanted to give my impression of what a great plane the Radian is. My plane is beat up, it has been broken in half many times and glued and glassed back together and thus gained weight and lost almost an inch in overall lenght. The stab has been eaten by the use of the wrong glue and the wings are filled with spackling and taped over. All this the result of my buying a RTF and not asking anyone what to do and suffering the results of being stubborn.

OK, last weekend I was attending the Fresno contest as a spectator. After the offical flying was over and people started fun flying I noticed two of the excellent pilots there put up radians. So I put mine up and followed them around learning the air they found. Those planes were top notch shape and flown well. Much to my surprise I found that my ugly beat up and heavy plane could stay with them. Later I talked to those pilots and others who had done a demo of ALES flying and found support in my theory that pretty much how bad your CG is and what ever prop you are using the plane will be very forgiving. Of course you won't do as well as a well set up plane but you will be up there enjoying yourself.

By the way I used my CAM unit for the first time and 200 meters is almost too high for my old eyes to see. But I did hit the 200 mark before the 30 second limit using a 12-8 prop. Near straight up climbs.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:20 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I took my new Radian out for her maiden flight today. I added a Rx and a 1300mah 3s lipo. I used my Polks Hobby Tx. The maiden flight was in terrible conditions. I was flying from a bowl of very turbulent air that was constantly changing directions. The wind was blowing close to 20mph.

I gave the plane a very nervous, but firm, toss into the wind at full throttle. The first thing I wanted to do was to get it up above the turbulent wind currents of the bowl I was flying out of into some clean air. I wasn't really sure which way the wind was blowing up above until I got the plane up there.

I got the Radian up high (but not so high it was a speck...that came later), then cut the motor off. I was very happy to see it hit a thermal and begin climbing. In just a few seconds it was pushed down (hard) from descending air outside of the thermal. I put the nose down just a bit to pick up speed, turn around, and come back into the thermal. I played around for about 25 minutes, then decided to bring her back down into the turbulent bowl of air I was standing in (coming from various directions at different times). I was surprised how well she landed with the wind changing direction as she was landing.

I decided to wait for calmer conditions and a better flying site. I was able to get that nervous first flight over with, and saw enough that I am sure that I am really going to like this plane. I may take it out to a slope tomorrow afternoon to see how well it does there. I should put a small keychain camera on it too (maybe one on each wing about half way out).

I appreciate all of the advice that I have been reading on this thread.

Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:29 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Low Volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfflyer View Post
Yes the controls will keep working for a while, but you also risk ruining a lipo battery by continuing for much beyond the LVC voltage. Depending on your ESC settings, it is probably set to 9.2V (default) or 74% of starting voltage whichever is higher, and you don't want to run a 3s lipo below 9.2V. For best life you really shouldn't go below 3.2 per cell. Note that these are voltage under load, and if you put a meter on it after landing it will be higher.
The BEC voltage cut-off is not the same as the motor cut-off. When you reach the ESC cut-off you are not at risk of losing or draining your LiPo to a damaging voltage. The ESC cut-off allows a generous margin for your electronics.

9.2v is a very low limit on a 3s Lipo and I have never seen this flying way beyond the motor LVC. The surging signal from the motor does not signal a need to land...I have had the surge signal and landed 15 minutes later with a battery voltage at 11.2v.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird