Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:22 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobisch View Post
Hi folks
My Eagle is airborne. Having no supporter I decided to handlaunch my F-15. Almost full throttle and here we go.

Installed a WingCam from HK and will report the whole flight as soon as the files are downloaded.

My Bird was a little tail heavy and after 6 minutes of flying I recognized a different speed on full throttle. I landed and had to cut out the battery which was seriously hot and short before melding! Cooled it down with my car's air conditioning.
Glad it did not acturally catch fire in the car - that would have been
Looking forward to the flight video.
Mike
Still, all is well that ends well .... Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Jul 08, 2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added encourigment
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:18 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
859 Posts
herewith the link

Shumate F-15 Eagle Maiden flight (5 min 44 sec)
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:24 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,339 Posts
Looks and flies great.....nice job Wobisch!
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:43 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Joined Oct 2011
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Glad it did not acturally catch fire in the car -
... I was aware of that and did held the battery in my hand after some cooling down in the shadow first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2013, 10:49 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobisch View Post
... I was aware of that and did held the battery in my hand after some cooling down in the shadow first.
Ah I'm preaching to the Converted - sorry.

The Video looked fine, though at times it did seem that the rear deck was flexing quite a lot at high G.

Thank you for posting, all in all a very good flight & good looking model.

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jul 08, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, TN, Arlington
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
Elevator linkage problem

Maidened my F-15 this afternoon, first two flights went way better than I anticipated. Third flight the elevator seemed a bit mushy right off the bat so I got her on the ground as soon as possible. The control horn has come loose from the carbon fiber stabilator rod. I had a very good friction fit before gluing the horn to the rod. Also cleaned both surfaces with denatured alcohol. Thin CA and kicker. Any suggestions for securing the control horn to the stabilator rod? I could drill a fine hole through the horn and carbon fiber rod then put a pin through both to keep them in line. My concern would be compromising the integrity of the carbon fiber rod by drilling a hole through it. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
gbman is offline Find More Posts by gbman
Old Jul 08, 2013, 10:31 PM
absolutely maybe
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Apr 2011
570 Posts
Great job Wobisch!

Regards
Ian
pistnbroke is offline Find More Posts by pistnbroke
Old Jul 08, 2013, 11:06 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbman View Post
Maidened my F-15 this afternoon, first two flights went way better than I anticipated. Third flight the elevator seemed a bit mushy right off the bat so I got her on the ground as soon as possible. The control horn has come loose from the carbon fiber stabilator rod. I had a very good friction fit before gluing the horn to the rod. Also cleaned both surfaces with denatured alcohol. Thin CA and kicker. Any suggestions for securing the control horn to the stabilator rod? I could drill a fine hole through the horn and carbon fiber rod then put a pin through both to keep them in line. My concern would be compromising the integrity of the carbon fiber rod by drilling a hole through it. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Contrats on the maiden. CA the horn to the CF rod just like you did before. You don't want it too solid. These elevators are prone to ground strike if you don't release the stick on landing. The CA provides enough strength for mild abuse but fails if hit hard (which is what you want). otherwise next time it will be your servo gears that strip and that's a bigger problem to fix. Just take a bottle of thin CA with you to the field for those less than perfect arrivals

If you really feel you want the extra strength I suggest the CA first, then when it's dry, mix some 5min epoxy and make a "trap" around the base of the horn.
vanderbrander is online now Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Jul 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
Thanks vanderbrander! I've CA'd the horn and topped it off with some 5 min epoxy with micro balloons. Now I just have to hope it holds in the future. Appreciate your input!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:51 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
+1 on the micro balloons. That should keep it secure. Cotton Flox would be good as well.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
I've been to the field twice since the elevator repair. 10 flights and everything is holding up well. Enjoying the F-15 as I've grown more accustomed to flying her. Thanks again for the repair suggestions.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,611 Posts
wobisch and pistnbroke - Congrats! Great looking models and nice flying on both!

gbman - Yes, I have had some trouble in the past with that linkage coming undone as well. Never in flight, just in landings on tall grass or hangar rash. I now use thin CA for the initial glue-in, and then a light coating of epoxy all over the intersection. Haven't had one break loose since.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:22 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Yet another reason for JetSet44 to smile. and the rest of the world as well
Mike
Yes, I got a smile both from that great landing and from this comment!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Aug 03, 2013, 03:46 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Joined Oct 2011
859 Posts
Father and Son had some fun

Today I wrecked my F-15. She broke in two pieces just behind the wing.
Men, that impact was hard. During a flyby I hit the ground! Video is in production. F-15 is reparable. Have to change some things. She is tailheavy and thrust us not enough. Glass coating of the bottom was excellent. Otherwise I would have build a new bird.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2013, 12:02 PM
fortuna favet fortibus
Joined Oct 2011
859 Posts
My Video inclusive Crash

F-15 Eagle Parkjet (1 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member