SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:27 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Post your Black Widow AV / Camera systems.

Hey guys,

Im thinking about purchasing a new black widow av system and would like to get some opinions on what you guys think about what you have and what you guys think is the best set up.

I am debating on using a digi-live to downlink the image seen from my Sony P7 digital camera, but at the same time, I think there would be times when I would like to have the plane weigh a little less and still be able to get video so maybe a strictly video system would be fine.

Please give me your opinions on what I should do.

My plane is a highly modified SLow Stick that has 6" additional wingspan and 36" fuse. Its powered by a HiMaxx 2025-5300 and 2s Thunder Power packs. I also have a Co-Pilot.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2005, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
If your camera has AV output you can do both. Just unplug the camera to the video tx and plug your AP camera in. Whether it's the digilive or not, it uses the same AV technology and rca jacks.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
So your saying that I can put together a tx system that has a plug, you can plug the Digital Still Camera into the transmiter through the AV out port, or you can plug in a video CCD camera like he sells at Black Widow. Either one will show its view on the ground through a montitor right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:40 PM
Never enough time to Fly
Maine
Joined Nov 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester
So your saying that I can put together a tx system that has a plug, you can plug the Digital Still Camera into the transmiter through the AV out port, or you can plug in a video CCD camera like he sells at Black Widow. Either one will show its view on the ground through a montitor right?
Thatís correct. I purchased one of his plug and play systems with the better ccd video camera. I hacked it a bit by putting a connector (universal hitec servo) in the wires that come out of the transmitter so I can use the ccd video cam that I bought with the system or I can hook it to my Nikon 3700 with its av cable (hacked with a universal hitec servo connector). It gives me the option of using it strictly for videos or as a downlink for the 3700.
Zeek
TheZeek is offline Find More Posts by TheZeek
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:49 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Nice. I like that idea. I think I will do that.

Now, do you have a suggestion on which CCD camera to buy?

Thanks so much for the info.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:00 PM
Never enough time to Fly
Maine
Joined Nov 2004
187 Posts
The BWAV200 Ready-to-Fly video system comes with the Panasonic KX-121. I had him upgrade it to the newest one he had. The KX-131. It was $40 more but it is a better camera. you will not be disappointed with any of his products or his service. He is top notch in my book..
Zeek
TheZeek is offline Find More Posts by TheZeek
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:49 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
Here's mine, it is the Black Widow 600 mw brown-bag kit. I used Deans 4 pin connectors to allow me to switch between running the supplied camera and my nikon. I went to RatShack to get regulators and they were out so I'm using an extra UBEC I had on the shelf
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:42 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
what kind of range are you guys getting with the 200mW system versus the 600mW. i'm trying to decide between the two.
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:22 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
Matt,

Another suggestion on video..............using a good 1 GB SD card, your Nikon 3700 can take (and save) GREAT video at 30 fps.

Larry
txflyboys2 is online now Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Mar 23, 2005, 02:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I used to use my wireless setup with a portable tv/vcr combo, but since I got my Nikon and it takes such great video, when I simply want to record, I'm going to just use my wireless as a view finder and use the camera for both photos and video recording. I'm waiting on a tiny little casio handheld tv and I'm debating on whether to hook that to my rc tx or attach it to a helmet that my receiver and patch antenna is on.
I'll still keep my tv around for funflies and when I go to some of the local schools.
You will definately want to get a good SD card. I'm using a Kingmax Platinum 1 gig card or you can also get a Sandisc ultra. The bigger the card space the better.
When I get home I simply upload the video and I can then burn a DVD or CD or use the DVD to record onto VHS tape.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:25 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
One thing that would be *most* helpful would be to include the output power of the system you use. That, along with what altitude and distance from you that you normally fly at, would help others decide what to buy.

Thanks!

Mike S.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:28 AM
Mt. Airy, NC
Joined Aug 2004
331 Posts
Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingagain
Here's mine, it is the Black Widow 600 mw brown-bag kit. I used Deans 4 pin connectors to allow me to switch between running the supplied camera and my nikon. I went to RatShack to get regulators and they were out so I'm using an extra UBEC I had on the shelf
Crashingagain.. i can't tell from the pic.. but i assume the red wire from your TX and from your Battery(ubec) going to the circuit board.. doesn't make contact with the deans connector? right? I'm getting ready to build mine and wanted to make sure i didn't miss something.. also.. the yellow for video and white for audio coming off your nikon.. did you put the 2 grounds from those together? any pics of the cable before you covered it?
thanks! Nice job!
BlueDevil is offline Find More Posts by BlueDevil
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Although my setup is 2.4 ghz it's not a black widow so it wouldn't really apply here. I use a 1500mw ebay tx and receiver. It transmitts as far as I'm willing to take it.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:27 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
All 4 wires from the transmitter contact the Deans connector, I used the bussboard that was supplied in the kit and soldered the deans to it and the wires to it as well.
The video and audio grounds share a connection.

On the Nikon pigtail the battery pin is not used and on the mini-cam lead the audio pin is not used
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Last edited by crashingagain; Mar 23, 2005 at 07:40 PM.