HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Slow Stick

Hey all,

Have been flying little RTF electrics for a while now, Champ, micro T28. was looking at the HK slow stick...I see it has ailerons. From what I read online, this is not a good thing to do to a slow stick..have they redesigned the thing and made it workable?

Can anyone tell me the flight characteristics of the traditional slow stick? I like low and slow..which I think this can do fine?
iceman88 is online now Find More Posts by iceman88
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:40 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,061 Posts
I added ailerons to the real, i.e. GWS, Slow Stick and it didn’t make any difference in how it flew. You can put ailerons on it but it doesn’t need them at all.

My opinion is that you would do much better with the real Slow Stick because it’s cheaper; there are replacement parts and up-grades, and what I have read they are stronger than the HK knock-off in the first place.

Flight characteristics are everything from slow to, believe it or not, aerobatic. It’s not a 3D plane but you can hover on the prop, fly inverted, do crazy maneuvers of all kind and just have fun with it. It all depends on what motor you put on it and how you manage the throttle.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:34 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
745 Posts
I have read and watched many reviews of this plane. Most all flyers think it fly's great and as good or better than the GWS. Some of the flyer's had both. The only thing talked about was weak stick body at tail. And bad wind pushed it around even with the size. And the GSW would fly in much stronger wind. And does the GWS need ailerons as good as it fly's.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
I saw this at my local hobby store

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...s-400c-bb.html

Was curious about the required parts. I have a 4 channel receiver and a transmitter, I have a 10Amp ESC and a 1300Mah 2S battery as well as lots of micro servos. Am I all set, or is the battery of a different type than the one I have? I have the red T type plug connection on my 2S battery.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:08 PM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,061 Posts
You don't want this one. It has a brushed motor.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
You don't want this one. It has a brushed motor.
How can you tell it has a brushed motor? Where do you recommend buying the original slow stick then, based on the parts I gave as already having.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:34 PM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,061 Posts
I have been looking for what I might use to put one together.
Start with this. NPS in the descriptions of Slow Sticks means No Power System.

You will want a 350 size brushless outrunner motor like this one.

With this ESC.

And one of these batteries.

Or these.

Shop around some for something like what I have listed here if you want a good price.

Hold onto the ESC and battery you have. You will find a use for theme some time soon too.
You will need two 9G servos. If thatís what you have, good. If not they are cheap too.
If I can help some more let me know.
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,380 Posts
What a nice little cheap motor! And it'll outperform the brushed 300 or 400 three times over.

I went a different route: a Turnigy 2217-20 motor and an APC 11x4.7 SF prop. The thing kicks out 200 watts and turns the Slow Stick into the Space Shuttle. Zero to 400' in less than 10 seconds on a vertical trajectory, complete with roll program.
Slow Stick Blast Off! (0 min 35 sec)

I'm rehabilitating the crunched airframe to put her back in service. Had a cracked wing that I fixed with Gorilla Glue after a cordial meeting with a chain link fence. Flew good for awhile but Gorilla Glue just turns to powder in the Florida sun. Wing came apart in 2 pieces at about 50' and I lawn darted. Didn't break the prop. Motor was fine. But the fiberglass fuselage was all splayed out for three inches. I put the plane in mothballs for 18 months. That's too long and I'm working on her today.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
Quote:
I have been looking for what I might use to put one together.
Start with this. NPS in the descriptions of Slow Sticks means No Power System.

You will want a 350 size brushless outrunner motor like this one.

With this ESC.

And one of these batteries.

Or these.

Shop around some for something like what I have listed here if you want a good price.

Hold onto the ESC and battery you have. You will find a use for theme some time soon too.
You will need two 9G servos. If thatís what you have, good. If not they are cheap too.
If I can help some more let me know.
Thanks for all of the advice. I have a brushless motor no idea what kind of power it has though.

Is the place where you linked to the NPS slow stick a US stock? I would hate to get my stuff from HK then wait 2 months of the plane!
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,061 Posts
What is on the label on the motor?
Where do you live?
Are there any hobby shops near you?
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
Quote:
What is on the label on the motor?
Where do you live?
Are there any hobby shops near you?
I'll get back to you with what is is on the label
I live in Orange County, CA and while there are Local Hobby Stores..none of them have very good selection
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,061 Posts
The motor, ESC and battery can come from the west coast HK. I don't know where the GWS Slow Stick would ship from though.

I'm sorry to see that your LHS doesn't carry much of the GOOD stuff. I guess we are really lucky to have shops in the Twin Cities metro area that have a great selection.
Old Today, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
Here is my motor

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-G-560.htm

Ya, I wish we had a better hobby store too, and maybe we do, I just haven't done much research because it has been so easy to buy online
Old Today, 08:55 AM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,061 Posts
That motor will work although it has a higher kV than is needed. If you use the 7X3.5 prop that is shown as one of the choices it should be good. You might have to experiment with the power set up a little. I don’t know if you could get by with a 2S battery with the APC 8X3.8 prop but you could try it.
I have done some experiments with my Slow Sticks with different motors and props. I stick to the 3S 1300mAh to 1400mAh batteries.

BTW I have not tried it myself but several friends I fly with buy from Heads Up RC and recommend it frequently.
Old Today, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
Quote:
That motor will work although it has a higher kV than is needed. If you use the 7X3.5 prop that is shown as one of the choices it should be good. You might have to experiment with the power set up a little. I donít know if you could get by with a 2S battery with the APC 8X3.8 prop but you could try it.
I have done some experiments with my Slow Sticks with different motors and props. I stick to the 3S 1300mAh to 1400mAh batteries.

BTW I have not tried it myself but several friends I fly with buy from Heads Up RC and recommend it frequently.
Ya, I bought all of my motors, servos, batteries, etc from Heads Up RC and it seemed to work well. I guess I should see if they have the NPS Slow Stick.

So Basically I need the propellor and battery and I should be good to go then?