HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:27 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
Discussion
A funny day today...

No hand launch for me but I was out doors all day long taking soil samples. The morning started out cloudy, cool at 40ish degrees and a wind of 10 to 12 or so. The cloud cover started to break up and the wind started to die down about 10:30. About noon or so the sky was totaly clear and no wind at all. The temp made it to 55. I was down to a long sleeve T-shirt and that was too hot. I expected to feel a thermal or two pass me by but never did. I then started to really look for thermal signs. I never saw a one! I thought the day would be prime for some serious activity. "Cool" air and "hot" sun soaking the dark colored earth should have produced something I thought I even saw a couple of hawks but they were flapping their wings pretty much the whole time I was near them. The didn't do that for long as they disappeared within about 10 minutes. Even they must have figured it was not good for flying

Not much of a story but a story none the less.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:34 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
There is ALWAYS lift. The fact that you didn't feel it means you were not looking for the right signs for that day. I have knocked 3min after 3min flight in active snow. Next time throw a plane and figure out what the signs are for the day.
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:03 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,097 Posts
I don't know- I had a day yesterday that should have had great lift but had none that I could find. I watched buzzards and other soaring birds struggling to find a ride. I even had a buzzard or two wander over to where I was flying to see if I'd found anything.

When I see the birds having a hard time, I figure there's no way I'm going to get anything. I still fly anyway, but it's just launch practice under those conditions.

And yeah, I know there's always lift, but sometimes you have to be at several hundred feet to find it.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:09 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,057 Posts
Because of global climate change every year I'm finding more thermals than the year before.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
Again I strongly disagree. We have much better wing loading than birds and I have flown lift they have fallen out of. It may not get you specked but it can get a long flight. I dropped 8sec in 1,2,3,4 at the Bruce this year and never got above tree height. There is always lift.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:40 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhlg View Post
Again I strongly disagree. We have much better wing loading than birds and I have flown lift they have fallen out of. It may not get you specked but it can get a long flight. I dropped 8sec in 1,2,3,4 at the Bruce this year and never got above tree height. There is always lift.
Depends on what you're flying. You might have a Snipe, Stoebel, or something like that, right?

I fly smaller scratchbuilt DLGs, and trust me- they are much harder to thermal and fly than those high dollar contest birds. When I manage to speck my Icarus of Bug, it's a grand day and I feel like I've accomplished something.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Because of global climate change every year I'm finding more thermals than the year before.

Ryan
Hahaha :-).....Funny!

Because of G.C.C. I haven't hit the deer woods yet (but it's coming ;-)
Triggerhappy is offline Find More Posts by Triggerhappy
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Depends on what you're flying. You might have a Snipe, Stoebel, or something like that, right?

I fly smaller scratchbuilt DLGs, and trust me- they are much harder to thermal and fly than those high dollar contest birds. When I manage to speck my Icarus of Bug, it's a grand day and I feel like I've accomplished something.
Smaller span gliders are more difficult to maximize. However they still benefit from light lift and can stretch a flight when flown in light air. On difficult days look to get some outliers, 20% better than your average flight is good. Even if your average is 40 sec, a 1:00 shows you flew the air better. Change your definition of "lift" and you will have more fun and more success.

There is always lift!
Old Yesterday, 02:21 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,334 Posts
Quote:

There is always lift!
Sometimes it is just upside down!

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
rug
Matt Cook
United Kingdom, New Mills
Joined Feb 2014
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
About noon or so the sky was totaly clear and no wind at all.
Doesn't this imply that the day was a high-pressure one, with inversions preventing any thermals from lasting long before being stopped by hitting the warmer air layer above ? There probably were (as Austinhlg stated) thermals about, but they were probably small and short-lived.

Matt
rug is offline Find More Posts by rug
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,767 Posts
Thermals can form in convection cells. You might have had the misfortune of flying in the region where the air was coming down softly. Fly farther out.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,972 Posts
Quote:
There is ALWAYS lift.
Yes its 3 miles that a way. Quite often there is NO lift in the area that is accessible to the DLG after launch.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,097 Posts
There's lift, and then there's lift. I can usually find those ground bubbles that AustinHLG mentions about any time and float around in them 50' off the deck. It just seems that the lift that will take you to 400' is much harder to come by.

The days I really don't like are the ones where you find sink everywhere. Shorter than "dead-air" flights then. LOL