HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2014
3 Posts
Gracias andres. Voy a intentarlo. Por otro lado me puedes decir las especificaciones completas de esa antena yagi que tienes en el campo??
fpvleonardoortiz is offline Find More Posts by fpvleonardoortiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:45 AM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmrdude View Post
Ha, you just described my exact path to how I got to the Ranger EX!

This is very true though. Something like the Ranger being flown long distance can be a dangerous and expensive situation. This is really something you have to work your way up to. I really recommend finding an experienced person in your local area that does serious FPV before even considering this plane. There is so much knowledge and experience needed to build your own FPV plane that can fly reliably for 30+ min several miles away from you. And in my opinion, that is what this plane is all about. If you want to do shorter range FPV, there are more cost effective, easier to transport (possibly safer) platforms out there. Check out Readymade RC or Hobbyking in their FPV plane section.

Oh and invest in a flight system that will give you return to home!

OK, stepping off the soapbox now...
True, long distance takes a lot of experience and knowledge!!

And to make my point, it took A LOT of hours of tests, crashes, busted batteries, cameras and other electronics, burned motors, etc., before I felt ready and confident to make this flight, and even then I was mentally prepared that I might never see that plane again!!

FPVraptor V2 - a flight to the top of mount Vitosha! (5 min 41 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvleonardoortiz View Post
Gracias andres. Voy a intentarlo. Por otro lado me puedes decir las especificaciones completas de esa antena yagi que tienes en el campo??
Guys, I don't want to be a nag... but can we please write in English here, as this is an International forum and a lot of people do not know your language.

If you are having problem with the language just use Google Translate, like a few other people do.
Arxangel is offline Find More Posts by Arxangel
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post

I do not remember what I have programmed it to, but both T-motors that I have tested on this plane have too much thrust, so I probably have gone with a lower timing setting. The one thing I know for certain is that the 4012 motor did not like the 24kHz setting on the K-force ESC!!!
Dumb question, but trying to understand ESC params...

My hobbywing has the timing in degrees. Lower timing means higher angle? Cause if I choose lower angle I start getting weird noises in the motor

Also i have the hobbywing version of the esc... no 24khz option, only 12 and 8, I am 12khz as your setup, but what are the pros/cons of 8khz?

Thanks again!!
vectorcharlie is offline Find More Posts by vectorcharlie
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcharlie View Post
Dumb question, but trying to understand ESC params...

My hobbywing has the timing in degrees. Lower timing means higher angle? Cause if I choose lower angle I start getting weird noises in the motor

Also i have the hobbywing version of the esc... no 24khz option, only 12 and 8, I am 12khz as your setup, but what are the pros/cons of 8khz?

Thanks again!!
When it comes to kHz, higher is better and makes the motor run smoother, although not all motors like it. As for timing, that would depend on the pole count. You can try to put the timing at around 20-23 degrees for the 4012 and see if ti likes it better... usually more poles require higher timing... soooooo... its possible I am not remembering my settings correctly!!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
47 Posts
Thanks so much!!! Will try on the weekend
vectorcharlie is offline Find More Posts by vectorcharlie
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:19 AM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Feb 2013
506 Posts
I have listed my Ranger EX with APM FC for sale in the Classifieds, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2267010. Plane is great, just dont have the time for such a large craft.
trickedout is online now Find More Posts by trickedout
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:30 PM
Joined Mar 2014
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
True, long distance takes a lot of experience and knowledge!!

And to make my point, it took A LOT of hours of tests, crashes, busted batteries, cameras and other electronics, burned motors, etc., before I felt ready and confident to make this flight, and even then I was mentally prepared that I might never see that plane again!!

http://youtu.be/clq6DpJ3b7U

Guys, I don't want to be a nag... but can we please write in English here, as this is an International forum and a lot of people do not know your language.

If you are having problem with the language just use Google Translate, like a few other people do.

Great Video! I hope to be posting some awesome stuff soon!

Doing my maiden with the Ranger EX tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Drmrdude is offline Find More Posts by Drmrdude
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Great Video! I hope to be posting some awesome stuff soon!

Doing my maiden with the Ranger EX tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Good luck!! Make sure you take video and possibly photos...
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:40 AM
Peru, Lima Region, Lima
Joined Oct 2013
32 Posts
Here a new higher flight

With some peruvian music
Jose Antonio from Chabuca Granda
Vuelo 2K high (8 min 27 sec)
andrescuadros is offline Find More Posts by andrescuadros
Last edited by andrescuadros; Oct 18, 2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Info
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrescuadros View Post
With some peruvian music
Jose Antonio from Chabuca Granda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0U_v4m5wqA
Congratulations!!!!! Very nice flight. Was it me, or was there pretty much no wind??

Personally I am never brave enough to put my GoPro on these planes!!! I can live with a lost Mobius... wouldn't be that easy with a lost GoPro Black!!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2014
16 Posts
Hey Guys,

I had a successful maiden flight today! It was a big hit at the field, lots of people asked about it and really checked it out.

I'm running an eagle tree vector as the flight controller and still have some kinks to work out there...

Arx,

What CG are you running? I have a 6S 6000mah pack in the plane and even with it fully to the nose, I can't hit the 62mm LE CG. Also with the battery that far forward I need to do a lot of elevator trim to keep the nose up.

I tried moving the battery back further to avoid using so much elevator trim and now the CG is past 70mm LE. Seems to handle alright there, but still doing elevator trim to keep the nose up.

Also for those wondering, I was able to take off on grass. My trick is to hold full up elevator, ease on the throttle until it starts moving, back off the throttle a little, let it build speed, add more throttle until it jumps off the ground. Once it is airborne, it will want to climb like crazy with this method, so ease back on the elevator after you get 10-20 feet off the ground. I wouldn't try this method unless you have a good power to weight ratio on your Ranger. I'm pushing near 7.5 pounds all loaded up, but putting out nearly 2HP with my Tiger Motor. It will climb vertically with about 70-80% throttle.

The guy I fly with also uses this technique with his skywalker. It's quite a sight to see such a big heavy plane jump up into the sky with that much power!

I wonder what I could do with flaps Got to test those once I get a little braver.

Oh and I got some larger wheels to try next. I'll let everyone know if they are worth it. I plan to mount a custom mobius gimbal on the front, so I could use the extra clearance. If I nose over just once with the stock wheels, the gimbal will got and there goes a bunch of time and money...
Drmrdude is offline Find More Posts by Drmrdude
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I had a successful maiden flight today! It was a big hit at the field, lots of people asked about it and really checked it out.

I'm running an eagle tree vector as the flight controller and still have some kinks to work out there...

Arx,

What CG are you running? I have a 6S 6000mah pack in the plane and even with it fully to the nose, I can't hit the 62mm LE CG. Also with the battery that far forward I need to do a lot of elevator trim to keep the nose up.

I tried moving the battery back further to avoid using so much elevator trim and now the CG is past 70mm LE. Seems to handle alright there, but still doing elevator trim to keep the nose up.
I have mine balanced at 62mm, but I also need a lot of elevator to get off the ground. I have done some mods to the plane now, also removed the landing gear and installed a bungee hook, so I will test how that will work out today. I will move the batteries a little further back, the APM should handle the tail heaviness with ease, but will also improve flight efficiency and could potentially limit the nose down issue a little. Keep in mind that at high throttle this plane will always tend to nose down, so you will either have to fly at lower throttle or just be aware of that and compensate for it.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM
Peru, Lima Region, Lima
Joined Oct 2013
32 Posts
Another flight

Vuelo a la Isla (10 min 22 sec)
andrescuadros is offline Find More Posts by andrescuadros
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Damn... you weren't kidding when you said its always cloudy over there!!!
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
ranger ex

Quote:
Pachacamac Island from the air is good linda.- more music video congratulations. Pancho
Francisco IBSO is offline Find More Posts by Francisco IBSO