SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:17 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Mini-Review
Seagul MXS-R maiden flight

Greetings,

maiden mine today with no problems. Beautiful day here in south central Indiana. Sunny with low to no wind at all, but a bit colder than usual.
I built mine with 425BB Hitec servos and an OS 91 two strokes with a 14x8 Master airscrew. The instructions are slightly wrong. Even with the firewall pushed all the way to the front I had to mount the engine mounts on 3/4" stands. I used long connecting nuts from Menard's, the one used for threaded rods. With them the engine came at the recommended position. I did open all three front holes in the cowl and cut five more on the cowl's bottom (I read that the air outlet section should be 50% higher than the inlet. Not sure about the ratio, but kind of made sense). I did not make any cuts for the cylinder. I use a remote glow plug connection. I did though a small cut for the high idle valve extension. This was kind of challenging to position.
Balance was achieved easily by just moving the battery around. I used a home made pack with two Trustfire 3.7V/2400 mAh. CG is at recommended 100 mm position. Because of the 7.4V I had to use a BEC. My Hitec receiver will accept a higher voltage, but I am not sure the way the servos will manage this voltage, so something to experiment in the future.
Taking off is easy, like any taildragger a bit up elevator and a bit of right rudder till the tail lifts and she is airborn. Probably because of the small prop it did not gain altitude really fast even at full throttle. Once in the air a click left aileron and two down elevator and trim was done. I flew around cutting the throttle click by click and adjusting the elevator for level flight. I can report here that this plane flies very well on a OS-91 at 1/3 throttle. No need for a bigger engine unless you are a hardcore 3D guy.
Landing is easy as well. Lower the throttle and on the final straight line let it idle. It will glide and needs just a bit of flare for a nice landing.
I put three flights today, about 35 minutes in the air. At this point I am pretty happy with this airframe. I do have a Guardian 3D installed, but I left tuning it for another time.

cheers,
MarLi
MarLi is offline Find More Posts by MarLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:59 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,412 Posts
I found that a TF powerpoint 15x8 was the best prop on my 91fx in my GP Extra 300 which is probably a bit heavier then your MXS-R!

if your gonna try any 3D, I would try a 16x6, couldn't hurt!

oh that is on 15% at sea level!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Thanks. I have already installed a 15x8 and since I have a digital luggage scale I plan to measure the static thrust at full open throttle. I will report back once I get the chance to do it.

cheers,
MarLi
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
I have just got one of these are you happy using the fittings that came with the msx-r - i`m not so sure about the control rod fittings going only part way ???
iqon is offline Find More Posts by iqon
Old Dec 01, 2013, 04:56 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqon View Post
I have just got one of these are you happy using the fittings that came with the msx-r - i`m not so sure about the control rod fittings going only part way ???
iqon, are you referring to the elevator tri-joint ? On mine I did not use the supplied bracket with three screws. I went straight to solder. I can post a picture if you need.

cheers,
MarLi
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:47 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Just got the last one from my lhs. Nicely built plane. Putting a Saito FG-21 into it.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:24 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Got my son to polish the muffler which was rough cast aluminum. Looks awesome now. Maidened the plane a week ago and was quite impressed. No trimming needed at all. Just did a couple of circuits and now have retuned motor a bit and I think it's gonna have a lot of muscle when all said and done. Very pleased so far.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:01 AM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined May 2013
62 Posts
Did you have to do any canopy trimming from the bottom. Mine sits on the servo arms and will have to cut it to fit it. I am using savox servos which might be bigger than others
SLoViper is offline Find More Posts by SLoViper
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:02 AM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined May 2013
62 Posts
Another thing i have a saito 125 and os 120 which one should i choose. I am not a 3d flyer
SLoViper is offline Find More Posts by SLoViper
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:37 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I had to trim a little for my servos not to hit the canopy.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:13 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Myself I'd go with the 125 but that's me. Basically what I'm using except mines gasoline so you'd have even more power running nitro.