Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:10 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,294 Posts
Discussion
First plan build - modifying tail structure

Hi All,

I'm working on my first plan build, the Blue Flash from Fly RC a few years ago. It's a 50" span low wing sport plane. The plans call for 3/16" sheet tail structures, but I'm thinking of changing things a bit and doing a built up tail. I've looked at several other plans to get ideas of how to do it and I think I've come up with a good design, but I'd appreciate any critiques or suggestions.

I've attached my marked up plans. I planned to keep things 3/16" thick. The outer perimeter would be build from 1/4" wide 3/16" strip. The TE of the stabs would be 1/2"x3/16". The LE of the rudder and elevator would be 3/8"x3/16". The diagonals would be 1/8"x3/16".

Does this look ok?

Thanks,
Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:53 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,558 Posts
Brad looked at this and recommends wider stock for the TE.
You won't be able to be much of a tapper with that narrow
of stock.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Andy
Use your style of structure all the time on models of around that size. Your plans look fine, would suggest 1/4" wood instead of 3/16"
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:47 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,294 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Kimber, I planned to keep it flat, not tapered.

Dereck, So 1/4" square stock for the perimeter. I'll need to modify the slots and tail post on the fuselage plan to match that. Sounds good.

Andy
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:34 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,138 Posts
I second the idea to use a stronger trailing edge, in fact I would use a 1/4 inch spruce for that member as it will take the brunt of the load and will vary in both directions; i.e. will experience both negative and positive G loads. Your lay out looks good.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,009 Posts
All those nice big curves are really wanting to be laminated!

A friend of mine built one of these at 36" or so, in fact it was the last model he built before passing away. It's a great flyer. You're gonna love it!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynolds View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Kimber, I planned to keep it flat, not tapered.

Dereck, So 1/4" square stock for the perimeter. I'll need to modify the slots and tail post on the fuselage plan to match that. Sounds good.

Andy
Flat is good. It works for those odd models built from the Sig Four Star ** series.

Laminated curved outlines are The Best! A little work needed, sure, and an overnight drying session, but for light and strong, you can't beat them.

One high stress part is the tailplane TE. I'd use 1/2" x 1/4" for that - stronger and deep enough for the hinges. Really cool is 1/2" at the centre, tapered to 1/4" at the tip, but that's likely me making work

After all, why use one piece of wood when six will do?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Flat is good. It works for those odd models built from the Sig Four Star ** series.

Laminated curved outlines are The Best! A little work needed, sure, and an overnight drying session, but for light and strong, you can't beat them.

One high stress part is the tailplane TE. I'd use 1/2" x 1/4" for that - stronger and deep enough for the hinges. Really cool is 1/2" at the centre, tapered to 1/4" at the tip, but that's likely me making work

After all, why use one piece of wood when six will do?

D

I did a laminated curve on the vertical for my stick built stick, and I used CA. I had to be careful, but it worked, and did not require the long drying time.
sirzeppu is offline Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:43 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
Use balsa and sink some end grain dowel rod into the stab, bottom of fuse and fin TE for mounting bracing wires. Looks the part, is stout and lightweight.
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,294 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I hadn't thought of laminating, but that sounds interesting so I might give it a shot. I'll also increase the thickness to 1/4". For the laminated outline, I should be able to do each half of the horizontal stab/elevator as a unit, as well as the vertical stab/rudder. Then separate after I've added all the internal structure. Correct?

If I keep with my 1/4" wide outline, should I go with 4 strips of 1/16" or 8 strips of 1/32" balsa? The 1/32 should bend easier I would think. Soaked first of course.

I'll also go with spruce for the TE.

Andy
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,009 Posts
Use the 1/32" stock. It will swell slightly when wetted - 4 layers of 1/32" will be about 3/16" thick. There are lots of good helps out there for laminating. Check what epoxyearl has in his giant scale Sparky thread.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:04 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,294 Posts
I read through the Sparky thread. Good info, thanks. For my project, would 4 layers of 1/32" be good enough, or should I go with 5? I'll be making the tail 1/4" thick.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,558 Posts
Do the lamination first, the entire outline. Then put the structure in
half of it. As in do the stab, put in all the structure including the
TE. Then cut the lamination and separate the finished part, Leaving
the remaining lamination on the plans. Other wise, you will end
up gluing the TE of the stab to the LE of the elevator.

Don't know if this makes sense??

BTW, any comments about my art work will get you off the
Christmas list real fast.....
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Apr 27, 2013 at 02:53 PM.