HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
lilleyen's Avatar
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Railing bumpers

The FW III comes with 3 fenders, on the port side only. They are made of hard plastic as well.
This is all well and good, but I can't always be sure I am going to dock on the port side, (kinda depends on the wind direction), so I want them on both sides and functional.

I think they look kinda cool, and where I sail most of the time (at the cement pond) they are going to be functional to save my nice gel coat from concrete rash.

So today I made my own, and they are red and they are cheap (sorta), and they are squishable, and tough.
I made them out of Nerf gun pellets. Cheap material.
I nearly fainted though when I bought the Plasti Dip, just over $30.00 plus tax.
I was thinking maybe $10.00. Oh well, there plenty of other uses for it.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Terminology
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
lilleyen's Avatar
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupadrop View Post
Thanks for all of the great tips and pics of your new builds. I have rigged my new Fairwind III, at least according to all of the stock instructions. Of course, since this is my first boat, I have a few noob questions that I hope you can help with.
I would like to add the pulley for the jib haul as shown in the thread. Would like to get a reference on where to purchase it if possible.
Hoping that someone will post information about how much ballast they use and how to secure it. I am planning on using lead shot instead of the steel beads supplied with the kit. Would like to have a good plan for the ballast so I dont mess anything up.
I have noticed that the running rigging lines are a bit stiff, especially for the jib. Is there a place to get a small quantity of the 100# Spectra line. My local fishing store has Spectra by the yard but only up to 50# test. I bought some of the 50#, but it seems to be so very thin.
Will be anxiousily awaiting further build information in this thread!
Thanks,
Here is where I get my lines from.
Very good deal, and FREE shipping (that's where they usually ding you)
I was skeptical about this, especially since my order was under $5.00 but it arrived in reasonable time from China and it's good quality.
Much softer and more pliable that the green stuff and thicker, but tough, hard to cut cleanly.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ePacket-to-UA...item2a1fe08536

I just put lots more build info on here too.

Hope it helps you.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
Boomer1
Boomer1's Avatar
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Rick
Love the pulley set up! And who would have thought of those pellets for making extra fenders? Good stuff for sure. Protecting the finish on your boat is a must!

A suggestion for cutting the new line you purchased - try a hot hobby knife - should cut it clean.

Chalupadrop
Pictures are always welcome on these threads! They make the thread more colorful and certainly more interesting. Like to see some pictures of your modifications -
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
lilleyen's Avatar
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Rick
Love the pulley set up! And who would have thought of those pellets for making extra fenders? Good stuff for sure. Protecting the finish on your boat is a must!

A suggestion for cutting the new line you purchased - try a hot hobby knife - should cut it clean.

Chalupadrop
Pictures are always welcome on these threads! They make the thread more colorful and certainly more interesting. Like to see some pictures of your modifications -
Boomer
Fenders!
That's the word I was looking for...
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Wow, guys, thanks for the quick feedback on my questions.
I have ordered the Spectra you referenced, but there is now a $2 shipping charge, but still much more reasonable than other sources I was able to locate.




[QUOTE=Boomer1;23482108
Chalupadrop
Pictures are always welcome on these threads! They make the thread more colorful and certainly more interesting. Like to see some pictures of your modifications -
Boomer[/QUOTE]

I agree that the pics make things alot more interesting on these threads. To date, I havent made any mods so the pic would just be the stock setup. Sorry to be only a "taker" at this time, but still trying to learn the basics of rc sailboats. I will post pics if I come up with something worthy.

I like the idea of using white glue instead of epoxy for the ballast. Is there a recommended weight of ballast for the initial load?

lilleyen; I saw your try on the hatch seal using the high start material. Brings up another question I am trying to answer. I have several sailplanes all on 72 Mhz. Do you have a 2.4 radio recommendation that has all the sailplane functions (including crow or butterfly) that you also use with your sailboats. The 27Mhz radio with the Fairwind seems quite adequate, but if I get a new radio system, would like to use it for multiple models.

Again, thanks for the continuing posts! A picture is worth a thousand words when you are new to something like this.
Chalupadrop is offline Find More Posts by Chalupadrop
Last edited by Chalupadrop; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
Boomer1
Boomer1's Avatar
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Chalupadrop
The issue with the 27mhz systems has to with their susceptibility to outside interference from other similar radios on the same frequency not to mention random interference from all kinds of unknown sources.

They work great until some dolt decides to microwave a burrito and takes over control of your boat. 2.4 systems are so much better and don't have those issues. Sailboats don't require a high end set up and some of the Hobbyking.com radios will work just fine and can be had for less than $50.00 - Stick radios are the way to go - you need to be sure that the throttle is on the left stick - some guys like it the other way, but they are more the exception than the rule. Sailboats typically only require 2 channels - many of these radios will come with 4 to 6 channels.

Here' a link you can take a look at to get some ideas. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_systems.html

There are lots of good radios out there many and higher prices. All depends on your budget and how much you like lots of bells and whistles.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:22 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
lilleyen's Avatar
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Chalupadrop
The issue with the 27mhz systems has to with their susceptibility to outside interference from other similar radios on the same frequency not to mention random interference from all kinds of unknown sources.

They work great until some dolt decides to microwave a burrito and takes over control of your boat. 2.4 systems are so much better and don't have those issues. Sailboats don't require a high end set up and some of the Hobbyking.com radios will work just fine and can be had for less than $50.00 - Stick radios are the way to go - you need to be sure that the throttle is on the left stick - some guys like it the other way, but they are more the exception than the rule. Sailboats typically only require 2 channels - many of these radios will come with 4 to 6 channels.

Here' a link you can take a look at to get some ideas. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_systems.html

There are lots of good radios out there many and higher prices. All depends on your budget and how much you like lots of bells and whistles.

Boomer
Those are both good 2.4 radios for boats, note the left one has servo reversing switches on it, the one on the right has to be programmed on your computer.
For the few dollars difference I would prefer the silver one.
It uses 8 AA batteries.

Go with the rechargeable NiMH low self discharge type AA batteries, from Hobby King as well.
They stay charged even when you are not using them, and they are high capacity.
Saves a lot of money and landfill waste. You can recharge them for pennies and about 500 times.

If you want to get one radio for everything, (gliders with crow mode etc), you would be advised to go for a 7 or 8 channel Spektrum radio. A bit pricey unless you can snag a used one. They use only 4 AA batteries.
I have a 5 channel and a 6 channel Spektrum transmitter. Also only 4 batteries.
I upgraded to the 6 channel to get some programmable features the 5 channel didn't have, and because it has a 10 model memory for settings.

Haven't had a chance to fly a glider with it yet, (too busy sailing), but I did program my helicopter settings into it.

I used to use only Spektrum receivers, ($45.00 to $75.00 a crack, but mostly now I use the Orange receivers from HK for about $6.00 each. They work just fine with my Spektrum transmitter.
With a Spektrum 6 channel DX6i transmitter and $60.00 worth of Orange receivers you are good for the whole ten models the memory will hold in the Tx.

Hope this helps
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Registered User
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Those are both good 2.4 radios for boats, note the left one has servo reversing switches on it, the one on the right has to be programmed on your computer.
For the few dollars difference I would prefer the silver one.
It uses 8 AA batteries.

Go with the rechargeable NiMH low self discharge type AA batteries, from Hobby King as well.
They stay charged even when you are not using them, and they are high capacity.
Saves a lot of money and landfill waste. You can recharge them for pennies and about 500 times.

If you want to get one radio for everything, (gliders with crow mode etc), you would be advised to go for a 7 or 8 channel Spektrum radio. A bit pricey unless you can snag a used one. They use only 4 AA batteries.
I have a 5 channel and a 6 channel Spektrum transmitter. Also only 4 batteries.
I upgraded to the 6 channel to get some programmable features the 5 channel didn't have, and because it has a 10 model memory for settings.

Haven't had a chance to fly a glider with it yet, (too busy sailing), but I did programme my helicopter settings into it.

I used to use only Spektrum receivers, ($45.00 to $75.00 a crack, but mostly now I use the Orange receivers from HK for about $6.00 each. They work just fine with my Spektrum transmitter.
With a Spektrum 6 channel DX6i transmitter and $60.00 worth of Orange receivers you are good for the whole ten models the memory will hold in the Tx.

Hope this helps
Great information. I have been looking at the Spectrum radios but was not aware of the Hobby King receivers. That would make outfitting some of the models much more economical.

My wife is wanting to get me a radio for Xmas, so I hope to decide on one that I can grow with soon. Will give an update when I figure it out. But since I dont expect to be doing any flying or sailing until the weather breaks, am trying not to rush anything.

Thanks,
Chalupadrop is offline Find More Posts by Chalupadrop
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
521 Posts
SOme of the cheap HK trabsmitter do not require a computer to program, they have reversing switches on the front. Only downside is no endpoint adjustment on those units.

I have three of the HK units at present - I buy one transmittter per boat, that way if some walks up and starts yakking I give them a boat to sail and grab another boat from the car and go sail with them ....

Works for me... at 25 bucks for transmitter and receiver, how could I go wrong....?
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Lipo Power
BrushlesHeaven's Avatar
Joined May 2009
300 Posts
I have this one for use with my Yamaha, love it.
And yes, you need USB linker and free software to program it the way you like.
To me it is no problem there is no reversing switch on the radio. Once I set my radio there is no need for me to have it out at the pond unless is being used with few different rc models...
It has dual rate switch also that I like to use with my boat rudder throw adjustment if need it.
6 CH receivers are only $9.00...
IMO this radio system is great for sailboat and more....
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
Lipo Power
BrushlesHeaven's Avatar
Joined May 2009
300 Posts
I like this thread, keep posting pictures....
So cool to see your work...
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushlesHeaven View Post
I have this one for use with my Yamaha, love it.
And yes, you need USB linker and free software to program it the way you like.
To me it is no problem there is no reversing switch on the radio. Once I set my radio there is no need for me to have it out at the pond unless is being used with few different rc models...
It has dual rate switch also that I like to use with my boat rudder throw adjustment if need it.
6 CH receivers are only $9.00...
IMO this radio system is great for sailboat and more....
Can you also program endpoints on this radio?
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Lipo Power
BrushlesHeaven's Avatar
Joined May 2009
300 Posts
Yes, here is the interface picture for you....
This software is available at HK website...






Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
Can you also program endpoints on this radio?
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Last edited by BrushlesHeaven; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:46 AM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
521 Posts
@BrushlesHeaven:

Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

I may get one of these, some useful features inthere even for a boat....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Kyosho fairwind rc sailboat hadawayj Boats (FS/W) 0 Aug 31, 2012 03:32 PM
For Sale Kyosho fairwind rc sailboat hadawayj Boats (FS/W) 1 Aug 21, 2012 11:51 PM
Sold Kyosho Fairwind II civilguy Boats (FS/W) 1 Jul 13, 2012 09:30 AM
Build Log Off The Hook…Fairwind meets Fairwind III. woodybob Sailboats 52 Feb 03, 2009 05:53 PM
Question Kyosho Fairwind III amdaylight Sailboats 2 Jan 04, 2009 01:08 PM