HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
MQ-9 Reaper - Engine options

Hi all
I am building an MQ-9 Reaper, I have looked around the web and all the other builds are electric. Got me thinking would a fuel conversion give better power and longer flight time,
1st question for the internets is, Why has it not been done?

2nd do you think the plane would take a fuel motor ?
3rd if so which would be best?

Any input and any suggestions would be great

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._FPV_ARF_.html
SirPent is offline Find More Posts by SirPent
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:24 PM
Argentina
Joined Nov 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
Hi all
I am building an MQ-9 Reaper, I have looked around the web and all the other builds are electric. Got me thinking would a fuel conversion give better power and longer flight time,
1st question for the internets is, Why has it not been done?

2nd do you think the plane would take a fuel motor ?
3rd if so which would be best?

Any input and any suggestions would be great

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._FPV_ARF_.html
It would look "bad" (I believe "not clean" works better for this case) from whatever side you look at it from, whether you put the engine inside or outside the fuselage.

Fuselage is made entirely of fiberglass, I'm not sure how it will react to a glow engine's vibrations.

I think a .40 is on the overkill side. But that depends on how much weight you put on it. Also fitting the fuel tank will be a huge problem because of the elevator and rudder systems that go all the way through the fuselage so there isn't any "clean" space for the fuel tank.

I wonder why nobody answered you before. Nevermind, found your new thread.
Cry_Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Cry_Wolf
Last edited by Cry_Wolf; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
228 Posts
Try it and find out. I bet you could do a custom job for the fuel tank. I wouldn't be to worried about looks, but that's me.
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user