HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:07 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplane66 View Post
is it the sport 7x6 and 7x5 APC props that I should be ordering? or another type of APC?
7x5e or 7x6e
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:11 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoll View Post
hey olllian I got my watt meter and the 7X8 with the timing set at 30* watts are at about 400
7X6 prop at 15* was just over 300 and the 7X8 at 15* was about 350 the RPM is higher with the timing at 30*. I dont think the over square prop will unload that well unless in a dive, I was thinking about putting on the 8X8 and pulling the timing back to 7* Id bet that would be about 700 watts ... I wonder what the stock motor is capable of before it starts to make heat and effeciency falls off .... when I was doing motor R&D I did many 25KW pulls and watched as heat increased how effeciency would fall off. I did get my prop drive 35/36 1800 today ... did you have a plate that will bolt this to the stock mount?
take care
JAK
edit

the battery on the tests above was a little low Ill repost over the weekend corrected numbers ... I thought they were a little low.
did a pull with the 7X8 on a fully charged battery 2200 45-90C 4S and got about 560 watts at 30*.... so it might be safe to add 150 watts to the above numbers

the rare bear on a 1000 25-50c 4S pulled just under 300 watts with a 5.1X4.5 spoonie prop
JAK
I am not sure what bolt pattern u have on that motor.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:45 PM
cant leave things stock
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
I think I figured it out.... I can make a template and drill the pattern into the X which supports the stock motor and use the adapter I bought as a backing from the back side so its not just the stock plastic X supporting the motor

I thought you were running a prop drive 35X36 but I see its something else... it is likeley that if its a 35mm motor it has the same pattern as mine

I have done a fair amount of manual machining and some C&C stuff (C&C foam cutter and flat parts on a C&C table router but have no access to a mill at the moment to make good patterns)

I have made several prop adapters adapting larger to smaller 6 bolt prop patterns used on larger stuff on manual mills and even turned a big 6, 6mm bolt to 10mm shaft adapter sorta like what we run on the moray but much larger on a lathe I love machining :-) its allot of fun
thanks for your input :-)
have a great weekend
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
Last edited by jstoll; Feb 02, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:38 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
had several great flights today with no crashes on the moray.... I tried the 7X8 APC sport prop and did not find it to be any better then the 7X6E but I do believe it draws more amps....but the plane was not notably faster
this plane reminds me of chrises ritewing demon loaded down.... very precice good for carving big lines and got to keep the speed up.... I was flying in 10-15mph wind and it was no big deal at all .... the sky park in Felton Ca dosent have great landing for non wheeled birds so my new wing already has dents and scrapes in the bottom ... I might add some plastic under it to help with that
it is a fun bird though once you figure out what it likes to do.... Im going to fit the 3536 1800 prop drive this week and with the bigger speed controller I put in it should be a bit faster :-)
take care
JAK
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,798 Posts
So what's everybody using for control throws ?.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:59 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
So what's everybody using for control throws ?.
Stock. I even run stock on 6s
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:13 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Stock. I even run stock on 6s
Great, only problem being is that my instruction book doesn't cover control throws ?.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:45 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Great, only problem being is that my instruction book doesn't cover control throws ?.
I can't remember but I think I just put my travel to 70% on spectrum reciver.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:30 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
holy crap I mounted the 35/36 1800 prop drive today .. it was pretty easy ... I bought their mount kit and shortened the + bracket they supplied and slotted the ends so that the screws could go through the slots into the holes in the stock plastic + in the fuse and had to turn each screw about one turn each as the motor would cock toward the tightened screw untill it seated all the way in ...
that motor on the 4S 45-90C 2200 nanotechs pulled 1500 watts at about 95 amps with the 7X6E... a bit hot for my liking so I went to a 7X5 sport prop and it pulled about 1200 watts at about 75 amps all static and it will unload in the air quite a bit with the 7X5
so holy crap its going to be fast pulling twice the watts as it did initially... I may kick the timing back to 15* from 30* as well this will slow the motor a little and it will pull less amps
take care
JAK
edit
I dident put on the backplate or cone so the motor will get allot of cooling but the plane will be a little more draggy Im not too worried about the high watts on this motor I think it will handle it... I used to double watts on ARC motors and never burned one up but I need to do more work on cooling for the ESC
Last edited by jstoll; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:56 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
holy crap I mounted the 35/36 1800 prop drive today .. it was pretty easy ... I bought their mount kit and shortened the + bracket they supplied and slotted the ends so that the screws could go through the slots into the holes in the stock plastic + in the fuse and had to turn each screw about one turn each as the motor would cock toward the tightened screw untill it seated all the way in ...
that motor on the 4S 45-90C 2200 nanotechs pulled 1500 watts at about 95 amps with the 7X6E... a bit hot for my liking so I went to a 7X5 sport prop and it pulled about 1200 watts at about 75 amps all static and it will unload in the air quite a bit with the 7X5
so holy crap its going to be fast pulling twice the watts as it did initially... I may kick the timing back to 15* from 30* as well this will slow the motor a little and it will pull less amps
take care
JAK
edit
I dident put on the backplate or cone so the motor will get allot of cooling but the plane will be a little more draggy Im not too worried about the high watts on this motor I think it will handle it... I used to double watts on ARC motors and never burned one up but I need to do more work on cooling for the ESC
Congrats you are almost up in my class u will love it. On my 6s setup I don't have spinner or backplate. The motor and esc gets plenty of cooling. I am at 2260watts 107 amp on ground my motor is rated for 1300w but still going strong. U can launch the plane almost straight up at 1/4 to half throttle.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:24 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Congrats you are almost up in my class u will love it. On my 6s setup I don't have spinner or backplate. The motor and esc gets plenty of cooling. I am at 2260watts 107 amp on ground my motor is rated for 1300w but still going strong. U can launch the plane almost straight up at 1/4 to half throttle.
not really in the 2KW class :-) but Ill probably get there :-)

put the timing to 15* and the watts went to about 850 and about 60 amps with a 7X6 which is more what I expected and it dident really sound slower... I need to get a tach.. but this seems like a good 5S setup so I may get a couple of 5S 1800 or 2000 bats when I get bored with this setup that should put me back up to the 1200-1400 watt range
I will play with the timing more this weekend when I fly and see if its faster... I do know that advancing timing brings RPM up to a point and then you just pull more watts but dont make more horse power and I think thats what I hit at 30*.... 7* and 15* changed watts by about 70 watts
have a great week :-)
JAK
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:00 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
olllian... what KV motor are you running on 6S? and what prop?
JAK
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:49 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
olllian... what KV motor are you running on 6S? and what prop?
JAK
Its the bottom link of must fly post thx man.
I am running a 7x6 2250watts 107amp ground. The motor gets plenty of air and runs strong. I have over 50 flights on 6s and 40 flights on 5s can't beat the prise and power of this motor ... And it sounds like an F1 car
Last edited by olllian; Feb 08, 2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:04 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
thanks mustfly and olllian I hope you guys have a great weekend
Im hoping to get to baylands in sunnyvale this weekend :-)
should be fun
JAK

edit

so you pushed the shaft out the front and use a collet adapter? 30mm diameter will be easier to put in then the 35mm one I put in I was bareley able to turn the screws to tighten it and the screws had to go in with the motor (there was just enough room in the chamfer at the stator plate for the heads) because I couldent put them in after the motor was in the hole
take care and thanks again
JAK

edit edit

did you machine the end of the bell to let more air in? it looks more closed up in the pic at HK
Last edited by jstoll; Feb 09, 2013 at 01:56 PM.