HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:43 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
it's a 28 size motor so should fit... but best to take the motor mount out... then flip it around (there are pics of this mod already in this thread, use thread tools and clock attachments)

if not, you'll then need this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748

I ordered one, and am waiting for it to arrive.

in fact, it's good to get that motor mount anyway in case you chose to FPV your bixler then you'll be able to fit a lower KV motor (around 1000kv-1200kv) and swing up to a 9" prop
CorporalB--will that motor mount adapter work for the Bixler2...? It says compatible with Bixler, but I assume the motor opening on the Bixler2 is slightly larger? Great link (Ready Made RC)--thanks for the note!
jpt1205 is online now Find More Posts by jpt1205
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:23 AM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdchaos View Post
haha Yeah thanks. I did have some with flaps I think with the cg not being proper and my weak attempt at a first hand toss didnt mix well. other than that I felt like the plane flew great with the stock motor.
I found the stock motor was ok, unless you added a large camera, which is where the faster and stronger motor really helps
Also taking off from grass is a lot better with the more powerful motor.
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
CorporalB--will that motor mount adapter work for the Bixler2...? It says compatible with Bixler, but I assume the motor opening on the Bixler2 is slightly larger? Great link (Ready Made RC)--thanks for the note!
the motor from the Bixler1 and Bixler2 are identical in size and shape (i watched a review video on youtube) and the motor housing is the same size too. What they've done with the B2 however, is change the way in which the motor is mounted. on the B1 there was a wooden mount (almost like a chopped down broom handle) inside that hole, and the motor was screwed to that. this time they've gone with the plastic mount.

here's a picture from earlier in this thread showing the adjustable motor mount from readymaderc.com fitted to a Bixler2:

CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
With the motor mounted like this, instead of inside that hollow area, the weight is a bit further back. this too allows for FPV gear or larger batteries up front
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
769 Posts
Quote:
With the motor mounted like this, instead of inside that hollow area, the weight is a bit further back. this too allows for FPV gear or larger batteries up front
Awesome! Thanks for the pic and the note. I'll have to review the thread more for recommended motor/prop combo's... I had a Sky Surfer as my first plane getting back into the hobby in 2010 and really enjoyed it. I have been looking to get another for a while now, and like the looks of this larger version. What a fun, relaxing airframe!
jpt1205 is online now Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellbruce View Post
http://youtu.be/1eUq4z4LnXU This is the video I did with a GoPro on the Bixler2.
This is with the 2826 motor and a 35amp ESC out of my durafly corsair.
Takeoff and landings are with flaps. Wing is stiffened with a carbon fibre arrow fitted inside the stock stiffener. This motor gets the plane off the grass pretty quick even with the GoPro.
Nice video, like it. The second half of the video did you fix your Gopro to the middle of the wing and if so what was the side ballance like?
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdchaos View Post
haha Yeah thanks. I did have some with flaps I think with the cg not being proper and my weak attempt at a first hand toss didnt mix well. other than that I felt like the plane flew great with the stock motor.
I suspect it was bad CG. Battery pushed all the way to the nose is quite severe for this plane. It doesn't need much of a toss - almost takes off out of your hand.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info and picture on motor and mount. I have just ordered motor and ESC from HK and motor mount from your link. What size prop have you put on the 2826 motor? I was thinking of a 6x4 prop and 11.1V battery.
I like the idea of being able to change motors if required with ease.
M.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
6x4e prop on a 2200kv motor gives plenty of push from a 3S LiPo

I have this one: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/6x4e-spo...-p-403325.html
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Nice video, like it. The second half of the video did you fix your Gopro to the middle of the wing and if so what was the side ballance like?
Sorry, should have mentioned that it was my no.11 keychain camera on the wing and looking out the back. The GoPro is mounted to a spare canopy i have and held down with velcro. I also have the wings held in with velcro that works great too
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, should have mentioned that it was my no.11 keychain camera on the wing and looking out the back. The GoPro is mounted to a spare canopy i have and held down with velcro. I also have the wings held in with velcro that works great too
would you mind showing us some pictures of how you've used the velcro to attach the wings please

Also, I've been looking at some pictures of the inside of the B2. it looks like the wing screw tubes are not the only things taking up space in the fuselage. there's a fair amount of foam in there too, around the tubes.

I bought the ARF version (the only version available in the UK warehouse) so it looks like I'll have to split it open like I did with my Skywalker. I just hope the glue isn't too strong, don't want to damage the plane too much.
Last edited by CorporalB; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: thought of more to say :)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:57 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Hi all. I am torn between getting a B2 kit or ARF. The price difference does not make any difference to me. Now that you guys (who own and fly the B2) have experience with it, I would like to ask the following questions:
1. If you had it to do all over again, would you use your own parts (motor, ESC, servos) [kit]?
2. OR, Would you buy one with most of the pieces/parts (ARF)?
Your thoughts please. TIA.

AJ

P.S. If this helps - For those of you that don't know, I have a experience building and flying 4 Sky Surfer planes (now 3 - 2-Sky Surfer V1 and V2 and 1-Super SkyS).
AJ - as you know I've had quite a few SSurfers and Bixlers and have helped others with the same. Other than strengthening the already much improved wing tube, I used all stock kit and am very satisfied -- only thing is there is less top end speed if that's important.

Also -- all the talk about screws, pins, magnets, or velcro -- I've over a dozen flights and all but the first two have been very aggressive flight -- full throws and using flaps with ailerons for fabulous roll rate. I haven't used any attachment method for the wings yet -- HOWEVER I don't take the wings out so the wing sockets don't get loose from use.
Yes -- I am going to attach the wings (because I fly very aggressively -- especially in high winds) -- I just wanted to see how big a deal the screws were.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: more to say
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
6x4e prop on a 2200kv motor gives plenty of push from a 3S LiPo

I have this one: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/6x4e-spo...-p-403325.html
Thanks Corp. I use the same ones on most of my other planes. Cheap but very good. Can't wait for parts to come.
M.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for info.
M.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
would you mind showing us some pictures of how you've used the velcro to attach the wings please

Also, I've been looking at some pictures of the inside of the B2. it looks like the wing screw tubes are not the only things taking up space in the fuselage. there's a fair amount of foam in there too, around the tubes.

I bought the ARF version (the only version available in the UK warehouse) so it looks like I'll have to split it open like I did with my Skywalker. I just hope the glue isn't too strong, don't want to damage the plane too much.
These are the only pics i have with the velcro fitted. It is just a long piece threaded above the wings and two short pieces stuck to the wings and this seems fine to me as they havent moved. There are some better pics a few pages back.
as far as cutting out inside the fuse, i haven't need to yet, but will probably move my battery back under the balance point when i add the FPV gear around xmas if santa comes good!