HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Alert
Banana Hobbies: BUYERS BEWARE!!! Low quality products and poor customer service!

I want to share my experience with Banana Hobby so that other people can avoid the same disappointment that I have had. I received a Double Horse 9100 Full Function 3 Channel RC Helicopter from Banana Hobbies as a birthday present a few weeks ago. I was very excited, the helicopter was sleek and felt sturdy (metal parts, rather than plastic on some cheaper versions I've seen). After charging the helicopter I took it out to a football field to fly (totally clear LA day, no trees overhead, soft ground to land on).

I was having a great time, the helicopter was much more responsive than smaller models I have flown and had an impressive range. But the fun was short-lived. After several minutes of flight I noticed that there seemed to be smoke coming from within the cockpit. I killed the throttle to land and inspect it, but instead of descending it started acting erratically, then flew straight up into the air completely out of control. It stalled fifty feet up and fell to the ground, but continued to act with a mind of its own. Both rotors spun randomly and jerkily until I was able to disconnect the battery from the circuit board socket. Once the smoking stopped I was able to see that some sort of short in the wires had started an electrical fire (the smoldering wires had been the source of the smoke). I was disappointed, but hopeful knowing that Banana Hobbies gives a warranty on their products. On to disappointment #2...

I sent an email to their customer support detailing what had happened and requesting an RMA number for a warranty replacement. First, it took a week before I got any response from them. The quick one-line response was a few more questions about details of what had happened. I sent a quick response with the details they requested but had to wait yet another week for the response. Their decision? They were unwilling to honor their warranty because I (taken directly from their email, with notes added):

Charged the battery for >1.5 hours (they say that this may damage the battery's ability to hold a full charge, which was not part of my problem)
Turned the helicopter on first (they claim this could allow it to pick up a stray signal and cause the control problems, despite having perfect control prior to the appearance of smoke)
Flew the helicopter for 20 minutes
Flew the helicopter outdoors in a light wind (they tell me 20 minutes of flight and breeze will deplete the battery, again not the issue I encountered)
Turned the Transmitter off first

None of their explanations addressed the actual problem with the helicopter, which was an electrical failure. They have a 30-day warranty in case "an item breaks or malfunctions under normal use," which they refused to honor.

Banana Hobby was unwilling to stand behind their product and instead invented reasons for its malfunction that are clearly at odds with how the product failed. Their customer service, though polite, was frustratingly slow and unresponsive. I strongly discourage anybody from purchasing one of their products.
metke11040 is offline Find More Posts by metke11040
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,332 Posts
Your now a member of the Unhappy Club
Been lots here burned by BH.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Hi metke11040,

We apologize for the inconvenience that has transpired regarding your Double Horse 9100. If you can provide your order number, we will investigate this matter as to why the wrong information was provided, as well as provide you a full replacement.
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Sep 2004
6 Posts
Giant size b-17 failures

I purchased the plane the last of June my first surprise was that the transmitter and receiver and three servos did not work, I sent them back and did finally get replacements. In my living room I was checking the plane to get ready to go to the field and noticed smoke comming from ont of the motors,I sent it back and got a replacement. Next the new motor would not work and I traced the problem to two esc's after numerous attempts to communicate with banana I received a e-mail saying they would not replace the esc and to try my local hobby shop. The original plane cost 400.00 and the charged me 20.00 for the motor. It is obvious that they sell defective or cheap electronics, when I asked for a replacement or a refund, they would not return my call. The plane has never left my living room and I have not abused any of their electronics. I would advise staying from their planes.
Dave
74marley is offline Find More Posts by 74marley
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi 74marley, may I please have your order number so I can find out what happened with your order please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74marley View Post
I purchased the plane the last of June my first surprise was that the transmitter and receiver and three servos did not work, I sent them back and did finally get replacements. In my living room I was checking the plane to get ready to go to the field and noticed smoke comming from ont of the motors,I sent it back and got a replacement. Next the new motor would not work and I traced the problem to two esc's after numerous attempts to communicate with banana I received a e-mail saying they would not replace the esc and to try my local hobby shop. The original plane cost 400.00 and the charged me 20.00 for the motor. It is obvious that they sell defective or cheap electronics, when I asked for a replacement or a refund, they would not return my call. The plane has never left my living room and I have not abused any of their electronics. I would advise staying from their planes.
Dave
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Antioch
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
I would like to chime in on the problems I have with Banana Hobby. I purchased their new Tiger Moth 200 series receiver ready version. I finally got the plane together and had a problem first placing the receiver in the plane. They did a very poor job of allowing a place to put the receiver. I call their customer support and was told that I should place the receiver way up front behind where the battery will go. There was no way that was going to work because the cables from the servos were not long enough and the extra wire would have caused problem when you set the wing in place. The second problem was with balancing the model. After getting the receiver in place and inserting the battery in the battery box I had to add weight the sides of the fuselage and on the bottom up as close to the end of the nose as I could. It required more weight than it should have to get the plane in balance. The third problem is just getting the battery in the battery box. Itís a very tight fit and trying to remove the battery is a problem also.

After all that I went flying in a very calm day, no wind and the plane was all over the place, this was not a pilot problem, and I had little or no right aileron control. I was able to get the plane down, but in the process broke the main landing gear. The problem turned out to such a tight fit for the receiver that the wires were interfering with the ailerons; I made some adjustments and donít know it will help until I can get the new landing gear.

I decide to go on the Banana Hobby web site and wouldnít you know it, the landing gear is out of stock. I called and asked if they expecting a new shipment of landing gears. They didnít know and also didnít know if they had even ordered any. I have to assume that other flyers are having the same problem with getting a new landing gear.

So as it stands, my Tiger Moth is sitting until I can get the parts. This is the only and last model Iíll ever purchase from Banana Hobby.

An oh, the stand doesn't fit as they say it should. I never got an answer to that problem.
retiredjb is offline Find More Posts by retiredjb
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi retiredjb, may I have your order number please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjb View Post
I would like to chime in on the problems I have with Banana Hobby. I purchased their new Tiger Moth 200 series receiver ready version. I finally got the plane together and had a problem first placing the receiver in the plane. They did a very poor job of allowing a place to put the receiver. I call their customer support and was told that I should place the receiver way up front behind where the battery will go. There was no way that was going to work because the cables from the servos were not long enough and the extra wire would have caused problem when you set the wing in place. The second problem was with balancing the model. After getting the receiver in place and inserting the battery in the battery box I had to add weight the sides of the fuselage and on the bottom up as close to the end of the nose as I could. It required more weight than it should have to get the plane in balance. The third problem is just getting the battery in the battery box. Itís a very tight fit and trying to remove the battery is a problem also.

After all that I went flying in a very calm day, no wind and the plane was all over the place, this was not a pilot problem, and I had little or no right aileron control. I was able to get the plane down, but in the process broke the main landing gear. The problem turned out to such a tight fit for the receiver that the wires were interfering with the ailerons; I made some adjustments and donít know it will help until I can get the new landing gear.

I decide to go on the Banana Hobby web site and wouldnít you know it, the landing gear is out of stock. I called and asked if they expecting a new shipment of landing gears. They didnít know and also didnít know if they had even ordered any. I have to assume that other flyers are having the same problem with getting a new landing gear.

So as it stands, my Tiger Moth is sitting until I can get the parts. This is the only and last model Iíll ever purchase from Banana Hobby.

An oh, the stand doesn't fit as they say it should. I never got an answer to that problem.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Hi,

I have lost my order number for the Tiger Moth. However, you may be able to find it by using my name: John Bacher or John F Bacher.

I did sign up for a notification when the landing gear comes in. I would assume there are others out there having the same problem.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi retiredbj, thanks I've found the order with the information you provided for future reference the order number is 232944, I have submitted a parts request for the landing gear to be replaced. Also, a tech will be emailing you by the end of the day to get those questions answered for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjb View Post
Hi,

I have lost my order number for the Tiger Moth. However, you may be able to find it by using my name: John Bacher or John F Bacher.

I did sign up for a notification when the landing gear comes in. I would assume there are others out there having the same problem.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Thanks for the quick response on the order information. The Tech did send an e-mail regarding the servo throw and will try as suggested. For others that may read this, the suggestion was to adjust the linkage at the servo by changing the holes at the servo arm.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metke11040 View Post
I want to share my experience with Banana Hobby so that other people can avoid the same disappointment that I have had.

None of their explanations addressed the actual problem with the helicopter, which was an electrical failure. They have a 30-day warranty in case "an item breaks or malfunctions under normal use," which they refused to honor.

Banana Hobby was unwilling to stand behind their product and instead invented reasons for its malfunction that are clearly at odds with how the product failed. Their customer service, though polite, was frustratingly slow and unresponsive. I strongly discourage anybody from purchasing one of their products.
I had almost the same experience you had
"invented reasons for its malfunction that are clearly at odds with how the product failed."
regarding my new 12 CH Super F-22 3D RC EDF Jet ARF by BlitzRCWorks
$379.
FAILURE: DEFECTIVE Elevator axles - Pictures
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
No results for Tiger Moth landing gear

It's been a few months since I looked into getting a replacement landing gear got Banana Hobbies Tiger Moth. I sent an email asking for an update on getting the Tiger Moth landing gear back into stock. They still don't have any idea when or if they will ever get the landing gear in.

A few days later I get an email letting me know they have landing gear from a display Tiger Moth and would I be interested. I responded yes as long as it was red in color. I have not heard any thing since. I will not nor recommend any modeler purchase any models from Banana Hobby. I see others are saying the same thing. I plan on setting up a Face Book account and let others know the same thing.

They act like they want to help, but it's just a bunch of hot air.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan100 View Post
I had almost the same experience you had
"invented reasons for its malfunction that are clearly at odds with how the product failed."
regarding my new 12 CH Super F-22 3D RC EDF Jet ARF by BlitzRCWorks
$379.
FAILURE: DEFECTIVE Elevator axles - Pictures
Well it's been a few days and no responce here from Banana Hobbies
Order bh18-230593
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan100 View Post
Well it's been a few days and no responce here from Banana Hobbies
Order bh18-230593
I am in the same boat....They simply do not care what a customer is going thru even when they are clearly at fault, or have a defective product. The bottom line is they choose to sell these products and they should warrant the product as such....

See my thread...I have been waiting over 30 days now for my AT-6, that I sent back to them the day after they got around to sending a call tag...
hepcatz is offline Find More Posts by hepcatz
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi retiredjb! Unfortunately, we have yet to receive an update from our manufacturer in regards to the Mini Tiger Moth landing gears. However, in the spirit of suggesting feasible solutions, perhaps you may look into retrofitting a set of landing gears from another model, such as the Art-Tech Mini Wing Dragon or a select few of our Mini FMS planes. I do apologize for any inconvenience, retiredjb!

Hi hepcatz! I believe your inquiry has been responded to already. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Hi wingspan100! Please check your original thread. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

-Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr