SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:51 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
I just went to the mail box and got more candy...and 4 new batteries, each was shipped at 3.8 volts / cell. Now for some easy charge and gentle flying to break them in and I should be go to go. Thanks.
More progress will be done to the yellow plane now that the kid and I got his pick up back on the road again..stay tuned.

>>>> "YMMV"<<<< from a previous post I think means: " Your Milage May Vary"?? Old guys take longer....
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:51 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,028 Posts
Yes on YMMV.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Very good, then " IWBCNUAO", sometime.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:56 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Charged all 4 batteries today at 250 mah and recorded a done charge at 4.21vts each. Put #1 into the plane and kept it in the air gently for 4 minutes, pulled the battery and the voltage was 3.85 after resting 15 minutes...will do the same for the others 3 or 4 times then will see what they got.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Very good, then " IWBCNUAO", sometime.
Mmm.. "I Will Be Seeing(CN) You(U)" but what is the "AO"?

Thanks for reviewing the batteries, looking forward to your feedback.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
"A-O" = " A-Round"...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,738 Posts
Anyone know when more Slicko kits are due in?
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I just broke another prop on a light nose strike. The props don't "pop off" like they do on my Twisted Edge. On the Slicko the prop sits much deeper on the prop saver thus not allowing it to pop off. Is this normal operation that it doesn't come off easily in a nose strike? I saw somewhere of talk of using washers, but I'm not sure if it was in this situation or something else. Any advice on how I can "save" my props?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,028 Posts
The outrunner design and the prop saver bands or orings used are the reason one prop will pop off and the other will stay mounted and transfer energy to the blades and potentially break props. Using orings on most outrunners provides less holding power for the prop.. im not a fan of orings myself because i usually have more issues with flinging props off the hub in flight or them floating off the hub and twisting then striking the nose of the plane and losing power.

Possible solutions:
1. Use less secure mounting.. orings or a single prop saver latex band.
2.If using a outrunner with an extended shaft that protrudes past the prop saver hub you can dremel it off flush with the hub.. take care not to have metal debris enter the outrunner.. best to mark the shaft with a sharpie and remove it completely from the stator and can if cutting.
3. Use durathrust or similar heavy duty props if using slow fly style props like 8x4.3s etc,much more durable than gws but also heavier and a little less performance.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
found an old phone today and decided to stick it on the slicko for some birds eye action.

ok so the phone weighs 4.6 oz and i upped the mah to 950 so i used a 2.6 oz battery too so a failed ground launch but still all good. bad quality, the most shocking thing about it is the plane lifted it...lol

RCPB Slicko with Samsung Galaxy S for a flightcam. (3 min 29 sec)

good example of prop ring stretching too hard on takeoff and letting the prop slip.
n00ber420 is offline Find More Posts by n00ber420
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:17 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
God Bless wing spars !!!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
The outrunner design and the prop saver bands or orings used are the reason one prop will pop off and the other will stay mounted and transfer energy to the blades and potentially break props. Using orings on most outrunners provides less holding power for the prop.. im not a fan of orings myself because i usually have more issues with flinging props off the hub in flight or them floating off the hub and twisting then striking the nose of the plane and losing power.

Possible solutions:
1. Use less secure mounting.. orings or a single prop saver latex band.
2.If using a outrunner with an extended shaft that protrudes past the prop saver hub you can dremel it off flush with the hub.. take care not to have metal debris enter the outrunner.. best to mark the shaft with a sharpie and remove it completely from the stator and can if cutting.
3. Use durathrust or similar heavy duty props if using slow fly style props like 8x4.3s etc,much more durable than gws but also heavier and a little less performance.
I'm using one single band currently. I think I may explore option 2. Thanks!
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:14 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
I'm using one single band currently. I think I may explore option 2. Thanks!
You could also try slightly reaming out the small center hole in you're props so that it's not not a tight fit over the protruding shaft. Not as effective as the dremmel, but it does help a lot.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:25 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00ber420 View Post
found an old phone today and decided to stick it on the slicko for some birds eye action.

ok so the phone weighs 4.6 oz and i upped the mah to 950 so i used a 2.6 oz battery too so a failed ground launch but still all good. bad quality, the most shocking thing about it is the plane lifted it...lol

good example of prop ring stretching too hard on takeoff and letting the prop slip.
Very cool! That's a great way to repurpose old cell phones.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
The prop saver seems to be working fine with my props. Just broke my first prop (prop struck a fence under throttle). Still on my first latex band (though it is showing some wear).

Had a few more crashes but no damage aside from the prop. Gradually getting a little more bold in the backyard and a lot more comfortable with it.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne