SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Discussion
Prop won't fit the prop adaptor!

Well, I have the brushless motor in my Super Cub, and before anyone asks, no, I don't know what kind it is other than it's 1300 kv. Anyway, I put a prop adaptor on and the props I got won't fit! Even using the little round inserts the props come with, they are either too big or too small. I think it's a 5mm prop adaptor, but it could be a 4mm, I guess. It's a no-name motor I had in my mini telemaster before I hit the back stop with it.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks,

Dave
mprs4me is offline Find More Posts by mprs4me
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
Install a small adapter ring and drill it out to the correct diameter of the prop adapter. Fixed.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
I tried that, Mark. Guess I'll have to glue the adaptor ring in? I didn't think you were supposed to do that.

Dave
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,702 Posts
You don't normally need to glue the adapter (spacer) ring into the prop, but it might be a good way to hold it while you're drilling or reaming out the hole.

It's a problem I've never come across since I started into electric, because all my APC spacers have been good fits on the various size motor shafts I have. But when I flew glow I used to use a tapered prop reamer like the one at the top of this page http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...cessories.html to get the hole the right size. Stepped reamers are also available (second one on the page) but are limited to a few fixed sizes.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
abenn: Thanks for the insight. I'm going to my LHS after work today, so I'll talk to them about it then. :0)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,063 Posts
Maybe you can find a different prop adapter that fits the shaft and APC or other popular brand props. I was lucky to find a Maxx products adapter that fits a 5mm motor shaft and APC props as well as a Great Planes 1/4 28 spinner nut. I have to drill out GWS props to fit most of my prop adapters.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, NJ, Ocean View
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
dave dont know if your still there but fox makes a 4step prop reamer that works great
Harold H is offline Find More Posts by Harold H
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,702 Posts
The problem with a stepped reamer is you need to buy it with steps that match your motor shafts. I haven't looked into it, but I suspect all my prop shafts and the APC adapter rings are in mm, which is why I'm always able to find a good fit. The OP's problem may be that his shaft is inches and the adapter rings are mm, or vice versa.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
I've got 4 or 5 Brushless Motors, I'm digging through some of the websites to try to figure out something about a spindle size for propellers I might purchase. The spindles on the motors are many different sizes. How do I connect any props I might purchase to the Brushless Motors??? I have to be careful that the spindle hole is the correct size, don't know what the standard approach is to getting said propellers to match up with the respective spindles????
Zashma is offline Find More Posts by Zashma
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,702 Posts
Normally you get a prop adapter that fits onto the smooth motor shaft. The adapter has to be the exact size for the shaft, but can come in a variety of outside diameters. For example, this one http://www.electricwingman.com/model...r/3-17/m5.aspx is for an AXI motor (or any motor) with a 3.17mm shaft (that's 1/8"), and is 5mm diameter overall. So the hole in the prop will need to be 5mm.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprs4me View Post
I tried that, Mark. Guess I'll have to glue the adaptor ring in?
Yep.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,404 Posts
Why don't you measure the shaft first and go from there.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
Why don't you measure the shaft first and go from there.
I guess I didn't know of the existance of some of these Adapters. I'll have to look them up.
Zashma is offline Find More Posts by Zashma
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:31 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
968 Posts
I'd use the filer into the the prop hole to enlarge it , but if that would compromise the structural integrity . so far haven't destroy a prop that way yet.
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: what you think of this Builds?