SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
Discussion
Battery for Hobbico starter.

Hey guys,

I have a hobbico starter 90 that I switched the plug ends to deans connectors because the old connectors broke. So now I wonder what voltage and capacity lipo could I use to power it instead of the 12v Pb battery in the field box. I imagine 3s-4 or even 5s. How about capacity. I have 3s2000mah, 4s1200 and 5s 2600-3000
any ideas?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL397&P=V
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
3s = 12 volt system. If you use a 4s or higher you run the risk of burning out your starter.

Lipos really aren't a great idea for this due to the fact that if they are overdischarged, they will be ruined and will pose a fire hazard when recharged.

That said...

You will need a 3s lipo capable of sustaining 80 amps of current. Choosing a lipo will depend on the capacity of the battery and the C rating. I'd say a 3s 5000mah minimum 25C battery would work. Wiring it with some sort of low voltage cutoff would be very appropriate for this use.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply.

Cisco
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,784 Posts
I'm using this on my starter:

http://www.afineredgemfg.com/
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:17 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
That's a great unit, PeteB.

It would be appreciated if someone gave the "smell test" to post #2. Sound about right?

mw
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,784 Posts
I'm using the Makita 18v pack with a Dyantron, but A Finer Edge also makes the same adapter for the Hobbico starter. I haven't heard any reports of anyone burning them up with an 18v pack. I know the Dyantron is rated for up to 24v.

I think the Hobbico starter would be fine on 3s-5s.

The Align starter, which is geared uses a pretty small pack.

Align Starter (3 min 49 sec)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Back years ago when I raced RC Boats , high compression and 80% Nitro fuel I used 24V(two 12V gells in series) on my Hobbico 12V starter and it did fine. 12V would not even begin to turn the motors over unless you loosened the glow pug a bit and that was just another bother trying to time starting ,launching and making the 3/4 of a lap before the race started.

charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
938 Posts
I've been using 6 cell life for 2 years now on my cheap Hobbico 90 and it's still running fine. That's 22 volts fully charged and I run 2 1500 life packs. If I'm starting 30cc gassers I'm charging after the weekend. The glow 46 to 60 size last 2 weekends. Lots are using more then 12 volts and anyone that says not to has never tried it.

You will need a 3s lipo capable of sustaining 80 amps of current. Choosing a lipo will depend on the capacity of the battery and the C rating. I'd say a 3s 5000mah minimum 25C battery would work.

80 amps, I'm using 2, 3 cell life TX packs, yes TX packs from HK. I had them given to me so I tried them. Guess what, they are 1500 mAh and rate 1C, so a total of 3 amps turns over a DLE 30 cc engine. Do they get warm while doing it, you bet, but after they warm up they put out a little more power. Would I suggest them, no, get the 30c Rx life packs. Hard to beat real world testing and usage. I did take the pack apart and solder on some XT-60's with real wire, the Rx packs come with the heavier gauge wire.

If you have a charger for life 2, 3 cell life Rx packs from HK, say 1800 mAh in series rated at 30C I believe would be perfect, or the 2100 mAh for a few more dollars each. HK has the XT-60 series connector already as well so buy the two packs and the series connecter and some electrical tape and your good to go. Anything 105 mm in length or more is perfect because it will bridge the feet of the starter.

Lipo go 5 cell, 4 cell is better then 12 volt Pb but 5 cell would really wake up the starter. Will it last forever, no. Will yours last as long as mine has, don't know. Sullivan starter is rated to 24 volts and with 24 volts would probably start a car. So worst case scenario is your buying a decent Sullivan Dynatron starter rated for 24 volts and will get many years of service out of this setup.

2 Batteries http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ePo4_Pack.html

1 harness http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10264

Good to go and for $35
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
Well, there ya go. The words of more knowlegable folk have been posted!

mw
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
LiPo Holster

I made this LiPo holster out of Kydex for my starter. It was designed for a 3S 2200mAh pack and the the Hobbico 90 starter. The angled tab at the opening provides for a snug fit but flexes to allow for size variations. I could probably drop the starter on the concrete and the LiPo will still be protected (not tested). I designed it to mount to the starter using M3 screws and threaded inserts pressed in the the stock mounting holes on the starter. The holes to need to be enlarged slightly to accept the inserts. One could use zipties for mounting as well.

The photos below were of my prototype. I have made a few more since that are more refined. The extra holes near the mounting screws were a result of having the parts incorrectly placed in my drilling jig.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,784 Posts
Nice job on the custom holster! That looks great!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Nice job on the custom holster! That looks great!
Thanks. I have a couple of extras.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey