HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:25 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I believe that the several Radian three-channel posts indicated success (with one exception - lack of inverted flight capability).

The rudders were connected to the aileron channel of the Guardian; i.e., plane: rudder & elevator, Guardian: aileron and elevator.

Michael
But does everyone have a Radian? What if someone tries this with another type of airframe... can it be guaranteed to work?

How often do you put a Radian into a steep dive, or a high angle of attack bank in a turn? What if you did and then flipped the switch to 2D with just rudder or elevator connected? What if it was a scale plane like a clipped wing Piper Cub with very little dihedral and high wing loading or a highly manueverable and twitchy 3D plane?

Somethings have an inherent stability built in, but not all.

Citroen GS running with three wheels. (1 min 18 sec)

Car loses it's wheel while drifting (4 min 47 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:21 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:46 PM
Rhodstr
United States, PA, Boalsburg
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
AHI with servo power connected

Just installed a Guardian for the first time. Bench setup went just fine and all servos worked correctly in 3D but I saw no rudder movement in 2D mode. Not sure why? Still reading but could use some help understanding this.

Disconnected the battery.

I then tried the PC software since I wasn't exactly sure where the gains were set. The AHI and settings on the general display looked good and I tweaked the gains a bit and saved the configuration. USB was the only connection.

I then decided to connect the battery for the servos. When I did the AHI changed showing about 4 degrees of roll and downward pitch in 3D. Just like the picture in the manual on page 11. When I switched my transmitter Mod switch to off or 2D the AHI went back to level. Airplane was on the bench and didn't move. Don't understand why it changed?

Can't wait for winter to go away and try flying with the Guardian. Hope it will help on windy days.

Any thoughts on the rudder movement or the AHI issues would be appreciated.
hhrhodes is offline Find More Posts by hhrhodes
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,814 Posts
Personally I would not use wing levelling on a Radian because they are not strong enough to withstand the G forces as a result of a uncontrolled dive. They have to be gently eased out of it. I know this through experience. I have used other gyros in the Radian and removed them as I felt they didn't achieve any real result. Basically the Radian is a learners introduction to powered gliding and I only use mine for doing videos, nothing more. However, don't let me discourage your experimentation as this is how we learn.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:22 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,810 Posts
Hi JayY ,

You've written an excellent review of Guardian so far + you've given a mouth watering flying description of PZ Radian. I cudn't help myself but ordered a Radian Pro - full house version of the same

The Cessna 178 that I've been resurrecting is taking longer than I expected. So now can't wait for the Radian Pro to arrive.

Keep up your good work.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 09, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:06 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhrhodes View Post
Just installed a Guardian for the first time. Bench setup went just fine and all servos worked correctly in 3D but I saw no rudder movement in 2D mode. Not sure why? Still reading but could use some help understanding this.
In 2D mode, the rudder is in rate mode, so when the plane is not rotating in yaw, the rudder does not move. While the plane is rotating in yaw (yaw left or right), you should see the rudder move a little to counter the yaw. You may need to turn up the yaw gain and/or rotate the plane quickly on the yaw axis to see the rudder visibly move much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhrhodes View Post
I then decided to connect the battery for the servos. When I did the AHI changed showing about 4 degrees of roll and downward pitch in 3D. Just like the picture in the manual on page 11. When I switched my transmitter Mod switch to off or 2D the AHI went back to level. Airplane was on the bench and didn't move. Don't understand why it changed?
My memory of the manual description: in 3D heading hold mode (your probable 3D mode), the AHI is relative to the last attitude (orientation, etc.) that the 3D heading hold remembers and is trying to return to. In 2D mode, the AHI is relative to "level" as determined by your last reset of "level". So 3D heading hold and 2D put the AHI relative to 2 different reference orientiations.
Do not remember about when the Guardian is off.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:42 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,810 Posts
BTW, Thanx Flying llama for your help & advice too.
Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 09, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:33 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:11 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:37 PM
Rhodstr
United States, PA, Boalsburg
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
In 2D mode, the rudder is in rate mode, so when the plane is not rotating in yaw, the rudder does not move. While the plane is rotating in yaw (yaw left or right), you should see the rudder move a little to counter the yaw. You may need to turn up the yaw gain and/or rotate the plane quickly on the yaw axis to see the rudder visibly move much.

My memory of the manual description: in 3D heading hold mode (your probable 3D mode), the AHI is relative to the last attitude (orientation, etc.) that the 3D heading hold remembers and is trying to return to. In 2D mode, the AHI is relative to "level" as determined by your last reset of "level". So 3D heading hold and 2D put the AHI relative to 2 different reference orientiations.
Do not remember about when the Guardian is off.
Thanks, that helps.
hhrhodes is offline Find More Posts by hhrhodes
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:43 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
In 2D mode the Guardian has two settings, stabilization roll angle and stabilization pitch angle, which explain the behavior you've noticed. These default to 60 degrees and can be increased or decreased by connecting your Guardian to your PC using a micro USB cable and adjusting the angle on the 2D Mode tab of the Guardian PC software.

You're correct, switching to 3D mode would remove this stabilization, allowing your plane to loop, roll, and fly inverted.
Thanks, Jay! The more I learn about the Guardian the more I like it!

It's an amazing device with outstanding features. This is a great time to be in this hobby.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi all, and Happy New Year!
Deadstick/Vladimir, let me get back to you regarding connecting the 2D/3D to the OSD Pro.
Bill, do you have any news?

Thanks
LuiginoRM is offline Find More Posts by LuiginoRM
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Luigino,

We discussed this here, and it's not something that we are going to be able to support, for several reasons. Sorry for the bad news on this one!
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I own 2 Guardians and have yet to understand how to use them.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)