SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 03:42 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,862 Posts
A rat tail file, like the one I sharpen my chainsaw with, would probably solve it easily. A few mm off the former should do the trick, maybe. Just go in through the fuse hole.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 04:44 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Yes, I know, but this is the actual reality if you take the time to look at what's really happening with the geometry. If Steve is seeing something else, then maybe we have different versions, but this is what I see when I follow the actual path of the cables. I've discussed this in PMs with others here and I'm fairly certain they see the same thing, although this drawing may be a bit exaggerated to make my point visually obvious.
No...he said he was going with drawing "A" which does not cross the cables, and will make the cables rub on the fuselage. Drawing "B" (the one you are showing) is the one that should be used with the 74" Edge..

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Today, 05:06 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
No...he said he was going with drawing "A" which does not cross the cables, and will make the cables rub on the fuselage. Drawing "B" (the one you are showing) is the one that should be used with the 74" Edge..

SteveT.
This is what I was referring to when I mentioned your post, Steve. I did have an issue with rubbing on "Drawing B" as in my illustration, because the cable had to wrap around the former to go through the cable holes in the fuse and connect with the provided rubber control horns. Not a big issues but does take a little modification to get it right. A rat tail file will probably take car if it if you want it to be perfect.

Quote:
I had/have no problems with mine, and did exactly as the instructions show (which is the same as drawing "B").
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,130 Posts
I don't understand why you would (and I'm not saying you didn't), and I didn't. As far as I know there has only been one version of the plane. Just out of curiosity, what length servo arm are you using? I am using a 2.5" offset, perhaps, if you are using a longer one, that is the difference.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:28 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,862 Posts
I tried the 2.5 arm at first, and it was worse. If you look my drawing, you can see how the geometry of the shorter arm makes the angle to the former lower, making the turn around the former even more pronounced.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:31 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,467 Posts
This all really makes me wonder how so many 74's got off the ground, or any planes for that matter.

Slack in one cable is no big deal....almost every plane I've ever flown had it... If I were building a pattern plane for competition I may.....MAY get that serious into overthinking it.

However....I must offer this disclaimer....some of us (like me) don't attack these small details...we just build it and fly...there are other more important details like throttle linkage that I DO worry about....but not this.... Others actually enjoy working out these details....so, if that's you....have fun!!

But...it's also worth presenting the whole picture for those "LESS" detail minded.....but equally paranoid new builders out there....when you see this level of personal dedication to the perfect build....don't just assume you MUST also go into this level of detail on your build.

Now for a different detail that cannot be overlooked....tighten the wing bolts...

build on...
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I tried the 2.5 arm at first, and it was worse. If you look my drawing, you can see how the geometry of the shorter arm makes the angle to the former lower, making the turn around the former even more pronounced.
You are correct, it would...but...and I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I didn't have this problem...don't know why, but I don't...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:04 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post

Now for a different detail that cannot be overlooked....tighten the wing bolts...

build on...
And remember to install the wing tube....I know, you're going to say..."How/why would you install your wings without a wing tube"....but there is a young man here in one of the 3DHS forums that tried to fly without one..

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:10 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Sounds like the kid at my field that flew the first 3 flights of his new gasser with just straight gas, no oil added!

Fortunately, it didn't end up in disaster, as I would expect trying to fly without a wing tube would.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Today, 06:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
Sounds like the kid at my field that flew the first 3 flights of his new gasser with just straight gas, no oil added!

Fortunately, it didn't end up in disaster, as I would expect trying to fly without a wing tube would.
It did.....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:19 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:

SteveT.
No if you have a perfect setup crossing the cables or not does not have an affect for A and C setup. the reason is explained here

Quote:
This all really makes me wonder how so many 74's got off the ground, or any planes for that matter.

Slack in one cable is no big deal....almost every plane I've ever flown had it... If I were building a pattern plane for competition I may.....MAY get that serious into overthinking it.

However....I must offer this disclaimer....some of us (like me) don't attack these small details...we just build it and fly...there are other more important details like throttle linkage that I DO worry about....but not this.... Others actually enjoy working out these details....so, if that's you....have fun!!

But...it's also worth presenting the whole picture for those "LESS" detail minded.....but equally paranoid new builders out there....when you see this level of personal dedication to the perfect build....don't just assume you MUST also go into this level of detail on your build.

build on...
well, when I started with rc planes there were no ARF stuff so I did get into the hobby by actually building planes (and flying them). As an engineer attention to the details and how things work on the plane is important (at least to me)., The 3D bug came later
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Today, 06:36 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,862 Posts
Quote:
It was really not a big deal,l and I was only answering a direct question. I was never implying that the design was flawed because there are quirks to all ARFs. The reason why this issue is not a big deal is because the geometry gets "better" as the rudder is turned, since both the arm and the horn lengths perpendicular to the fuse median actually "shorten", taking the former out of the equation. So there isn't a lot of rubbing if you leave it alone, or at least not for too long. Even a slight amount of slack in the cable is no longer an issue at this point because the tension is on the cable that is pulling.

As I said, I left it the way it was and only added another 1/4 inch to the servo arm, whicj makes the geometry a little better. IMO. I have many hard flights under extreme power with no issue, and the videos I posted will show the level of abuse I'm talking about.

I love the plane and would find it hard to be without one, and this is a small, but undeniable, quirk that has an easy resolution if it bothers anyone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:47 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
No if you have a perfect setup crossing the cables or not does not have an affect for A and C setup. the reason is explained here

well, when I started with rc planes there were no ARF stuff so I did get into the hobby by actually building planes (and flying them). As an engineer attention to the details and how things work on the plane is important (at least to me)., The 3D bug came later
I did build my own planes too, and invested many many hours at the bench, as part of my love for that part of the hobby, at the Godfrey workshop. Those planes were part of TOC and IMAC royalty, so believe me when I say that detail was in every part and assembly process. Jesky, Leseberg, Quique, and Hyde, were all part of that history, but for me, it is history, and I have no time or desire to spend that much time building big airplanes anymore. I like EF and 3DHS planes, and that's about it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:54 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
dont you just love it when you get it wrong.

guys crossing the cables for A and C setup will not be the same, you will still get a slack on one side. if the wires do not cross and you have a "perfect setup" then you wont get the slack.

edit: there is no scaling, the numbers are purely for comparison
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth