Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:15 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Discussion
Hotliners: General talk

Hi!
Since there has been many OTs on the more specific threads, I think we should start a new one for the more general stuff, Q&As without brand connections etc.

Today I had a mishap with my Hawk. Seems like I stripped a D60 servo (left aileron) mid air, and the plane spiraled to the ground.
The fuselage broke about 6cm behind the TE of the wing - will be an easy fix with some glassing, but the firewall also broke upon impact so now I think it's time to try my "budget motor/GB setup".
I have two Qs:

1) Has anyone experienced the same with a D60?

2) Where can I get a proper firewall: 37mm diameter, 18mm center hole and 25x25mm bolt pattern?

-Peter
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:51 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
2) Where can I get a proper firewall: 37mm diameter, 18mm center hole and 25x25mm bolt pattern?

-Peter
I like these:

eflight

If you need a custom one, I can make it for you; I even make ones that house the entire neu bearing holder, but they are not cheap, and I need the exact ID of the fuselage at the front, and 8mm back.
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:06 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Hi!
Since there has been many OTs on the more specific threads, I think we should start a new one for the more general stuff, Q&As without brand connections etc.

Today I had a mishap with my Hawk. Seems like I stripped a D60 servo (left aileron) mid air, and the plane spiraled to the ground.
The fuselage broke about 6cm behind the TE of the wing - will be an easy fix with some glassing, but the firewall also broke upon impact so now I think it's time to try my "budget motor/GB setup".
I have two Qs:

1) Has anyone experienced the same with a D60?

-Peter
Is the Hawk the F5B from launchmodel i have a brand new fuse red in colour let me know if you need one
Cheers
Adrian
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:27 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
why D-60 ?

Gear Type: Plastic

H-65MG would be better suited for longevity and just 1mm thicker.
hotlinercort is offline Find More Posts by hotlinercort
Old Sep 25, 2011, 01:12 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlinercort View Post
why D-60 ?

Gear Type: Plastic

H-65MG would be better suited for longevity and just 1mm thicker.
Didn't know better at the time I built it. It was the recommendation of the shop (www.lindinger.at). But then again they also recommended a 400W setup
Old Sep 25, 2011, 01:40 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
I like these:

eflight

If you need a custom one, I can make it for you; I even make ones that house the entire neu bearing holder, but they are not cheap, and I need the exact ID of the fuselage at the front, and 8mm back.
Thanks. I think number 8 will be the best fit.
I might call you about a custom one a bit further down the road. This one won't have a P32 GB
Old Sep 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Is the Hawk the F5B from launchmodel i have a brand new fuse red in colour let me know if you need one
Cheers
Adrian
Thanks Adrian! I think the fuselage is the same (uncertain about the wing bolt spacing as you reported in the Launchmodel thread).
The fuselage is easy to repair this time, and I will try this first. It's not the first time
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:05 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Adrian! I think the fuselage is the same (uncertain about the wing bolt spacing as you reported in the Launchmodel thread).
The fuselage is easy to repair this time, and I will try this first. It's not the first time
Hi No problem this is the original one with the normal bolt spacing the wing was drilled wrong so they sent me a blank fuse so i could drill it to suit the wing
I will make a start on mine soon what motor did you use in yours? i have Hyperion HP-DS11-AMB servos to go in mine
Cheers
Adrian
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:31 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
I used a NEU1115/1Y, Kontronik 5.2 GB, RFM15x16, Mystery200A and 5S2200 battery. About 115amps / 2kW.

I have a DS11AMB in the tail.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:34 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Lindinger has the V-max ECO on sale (175€ shipped to EU). I ordered one. Let's see what happens but it is going to be a budget setup for sure.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:43 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
Lindinger has the V-max ECO on sale (175€ shipped to EU). I ordered one. Let's see what happens but it is going to be a budget setup for sure.
That sure is a good price!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:16 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
But then again they also recommended a 400W setup
How will one of these fly with say 600-700W? I have couple of Turnigy 3648-850kv outrunners and I am pretty pleased with them right now. With 13x11 Cam Carbon it hauls my Lindinger Orion V3 (2 meter 1600g) pretty well. By eyeball I would say it clims vertical at least 80km/h. The red/blue Turnigy range is by far the most powerful of the Hobbyking outrunners. The motor can swing a 13x13 on 3s without much trouble.

That is not true hotliner performance but neither is the cost. Time will tell but most likely I will try to cram an outrunner in it one way or another. I just want to try a molded wing and that Lindinger sale came in handy.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:28 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,146 Posts
Quote:
Make one yourself !!!

Take some 2-3mm PCB with glass fibre in it. Draw the measurements on it, cut, drill, file. Wear a dust mask. If you want (recommended for serious power) you can double or tripple up to make 6mm using the first one as a guide.

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Do you mean like the ones in computers?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:42 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,146 Posts
Fibreglass board with copper layer on top. No holes in it. You can remove the copper if you want. You can find it in electronic stores.

Or buy some dedicated thick glass or carbon laminate somewhere but those tend to be expensive.

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props