HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brett1984, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:49 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Yes Brett, I made a vacuum table out of plywood. I don't use it anymore as the shop vac I used to pull the vacuum added so much noise in the room I needed earplugs. Also you must cover up the unused holes and cut a rubber sealing gasket for the bottom. With foam its easier to use duct tape. Plywood I use contact cement. I found running the spindle speed as slow as possible helped the melting issue here. I have also spayed water on the foam. I think it helps too. I get my bits from this guy, an Ebayer that ships from the US. I got a copy of ARTCAM... And have no clue how to run it. Looks like a steep learning curve..
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,690 Posts
brett

awesome work dude. do you plan on marketing the plans?
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:01 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
Yes Brett, I made a vacuum table out of plywood. I don't use it anymore as the shop vac I used to pull the vacuum added so much noise in the room I needed earplugs. Also you must cover up the unused holes and cut a rubber sealing gasket for the bottom. With foam its easier to use duct tape. Plywood I use contact cement. I found running the spindle speed as slow as possible helped the melting issue here. I have also spayed water on the foam. I think it helps too. I get my bits from this guy, an Ebayer that ships from the US. I got a copy of ARTCAM... And have no clue how to run it. Looks like a steep learning curve..
Hi tom, i only use Artcam to add the tabs to the parts and produce the gcode to cut, to be honest i do not have a clue how to use the rest of the programme.

All i do is click open my dxf file saved in a state that it will fit on my sized material, though it will nest the parts for you if you like your choice, which means it will fit the parts asclose as you want together to use least material, but i prefer to do this myself just incase you did not know.

Then click toolpaths on the bottom bar, click 2d toolpath, a box will come up for you to add the depth your z axis can go into the material, what your material is (foam,wood or metal etc) and cutting tool.

Then click on a shape you would like to cut, and for each shape click wether you would like the cut to be inner or outter edge cut and give it a number. i normally will select all the outter formers edges by holding shift and give them one number, then the inner lighting holes another number.

The tabs or bridges are nearly the same once you have created a toolpath if you click on the shape it will turn blue, then click profile options just write in how many tabs/bridges you would like how wide you would like them and the hieght your z axis travels up foir the tabs/bridges.

Then you just save your toolpath as one adding all the other toolpaths created for the drawing and save in the output you need, i have .TAP for mach 3, but theres about 50 differnet outputs to choose from for other cnc running programmes.

The above is how i do it as i learnt that myself. Its not to hard and if you need more help i can help you, i like the programme as i can move the parts in Artcam incase my tool path for example it going to hit another part also once the toolpath is saved as one file you can watch it cut out your parts in simulation in any material you like and at anyangle. It is very cool to watch
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12 View Post
brett

awesome work dude. do you plan on marketing the plans?
Doushiyou12 thankyou, im not sure about plans as yet. But i might....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,690 Posts
If you have pdfs that would be awesome!!! gotta have that B727
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Last edited by Doushiyou12; Jun 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,351 Posts
briliant Job !

Hi brett1984,

as a big airlinerfan I have to say that I am very impressed of your work. As I wrote you in my PM I would be very proud if I could bought a set of parts for both A380 and B727. Unfortunatly I have more time for modeling in the moment as my wife want

Greetings from upper austria

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:31 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Hi brett1984,

as a big airlinerfan I have to say that I am very impressed of your work. As I wrote you in my PM I would be very proud if I could bought a set of parts for both A380 and B727. Unfortunatly I have more time for modeling in the moment as my wife want

Greetings from upper austria

Rudi
hi rudi been working on the A380 today, just got the engine nacelles sorted made from actimel healthy drink pots, i think they set the a380 a treat. held on with magnets, they seem a little small but saves making them what you think? still working on the design of the 727, just trying to fit the sevos in the wing as its very tight to get them where i want them.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:48 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,960 Posts
BRETT. . . . More 727! More 747!. . . .Ohh and Build a comet-4b . . . .I might have to visit the UK again & buy one of those CAD machines from you Brett! Very impressive work Sir!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:42 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
BRETT. . . . More 727! More 747!. . . .Ohh and Build a comet-4b . . . .I might have to visit the UK again & buy one of those CAD machines from you Brett! Very impressive work Sir!

hi demondriver, thank you heres some pictures of the A380 with the ailerons and on top of my cnc machine, been looking for a good 3 view of a comet for ages. still working on the 727 design what do you think?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:50 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
15,960 Posts
Amazing work Brett! I want one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:07 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,351 Posts
Hi Brett1984,

wonderful idea. I use it years ago in a pusher B747 but now we have the pos. to use this new micro edfs (edf30) . Can't await to get more infos.

cheers

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:01 AM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
de Havilland DH 106 Comet

[QUOTE=demondriver;18657114]Amazing work Brett! I want one![/QUOTE

Last night i found an old jetex plan of a de Havilland Comet i traced over it, started to design the wingm and carried on looking for about half an hour to lfind a good 3 view of the comet 4 its almost the same length as wingspan, so im going to be doing both the 1st comet and the comet 4, wing span of the 1st comet is 42''-1066mm wingspan/ length is 33.9'' 860mm, the comet 4 39.5''-1002mm withspan/ length 40.6'' 1032mm.

just a pic of progress
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
15,960 Posts
Brett That is SOOO Cool!!! You should start offering depron Kits for sale!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:12 AM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Brett That is SOOO Cool!!! You should start offering depron Kits for sale!
hi demondriver, thats my plan if the design flys well, heres another look at the comet

just added the parts picture ready to be cut out and built to make a comet 1a.
Last edited by brett1984; Jul 05, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2009
130 Posts
X2 on depron kits for sale!!
To all airliner fans, it would be a dream come true. The only website selling a nice airliner wants over 1000 euros! As i said, it would be a dream t finally have a GOOD looking model at an affordable price. Whether you decidenl to sell kits or not, bravo!!
-swwer
Swert Pertoto is offline Find More Posts by Swert Pertoto