HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 07:09 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post
The crash I got could only have been avoided if the thing weighed a lot more. It went from 8 feet in the air to the ground very very quickly. I don't even know what part of it hit the ground it was so fast. Just in the air, GROUND!
4-Site is really hard to fly anyway. You should go Champ, Corsair, then 4-Site. (I have not flown the Corsair, but I know the 4-Site too well...). As far as knowing which part hit the ground, I now try to take a video of most of my flights.... Doesn't always come up good, but lately, I had a major crash with my Beast, and I was thinking: No way it's me, has to be hardware failure.... Well, watched the video in slow motion, and it was only me (very bad move). Was kind of hard to see it crash in slow motion, but sure enough, I could see which part hit first, then second, then third, etc...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 08:11 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
UPS just delivered the baby corsair. Wind should die down enough to fly her in about an hour.
flyingfisher is offline Find More Posts by flyingfisher
Old May 02, 2011, 08:22 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
WOOHOO!! picked mine up fro the LHS on the way home from work today... BNF
they got in 8 of them, a mix of both BNF & RTF

I just need to see if the winds will die down in the next couple hours... in the mean time I've got a lipo to charge and some decals to apply
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old May 02, 2011, 10:23 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
4-Site is really hard to fly anyway. You should go Champ, Corsair, then 4-Site. (I have not flown the Corsair, but I know the 4-Site too well...). As far as knowing which part hit the ground, I now try to take a video of most of my flights.... Doesn't always come up good, but lately, I had a major crash with my Beast, and I was thinking: No way it's me, has to be hardware failure.... Well, watched the video in slow motion, and it was only me (very bad move). Was kind of hard to see it crash in slow motion, but sure enough, I could see which part hit first, then second, then third, etc...
I can fly the 4-Site. Not many tricks, but I can fly it. It's so unevenly balanced that tricks are difficult. I can high alpha it around and hover it and such in a pretty small area. The Champ is difficult because it loves to gain altitude and two stuck servos have caused crashes so far. Elevator stuck up caused a lot of stalling and last night a stuck rudder caused the most pathetic slow motion crash into a tree ever.

"Turn! TUUURN! ing turn!" *crash* Sighhhh.

Oh, but unless I get really outstandingly great with indoor planes outside, I'm not trying it again outside. And I'd never fly it only 1 mistake high outdoors again if wind can do stuff like that to it. I didn't even see it tip out of the hover! Just WHAP ground.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old May 03, 2011, 08:09 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,355 Posts
I was out doing the maiden on mine yesterday. Not sure if it was because of the wind, but on takeoff it did need some right rudder to counteract the torque. I'm one of those wierdos that actually likes having to do that.
ATR, mine was flying in that same wind (albeit in Ventura County) and mine was going up and down like some crazy elevator ride. Just had to keep altitude on it and plop it in the grass. If I would've tried to land on the pavement it probably would've gotten its first scratch.
Going to get an early morning flight in to start my day now that the wind has died down. I also picked up some Thunder Power 1s 160 mAh 25C's, that oughtta wake it up a bit. That battery looks just a little lighter than the stock E-Flite.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old May 03, 2011, 08:55 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
maiden

Got my bnf corair last night, and got to do two flights this morning not good wind with excessive turbulance coming off the tree line.

I used my hyperion 160's since it was only 40 degrees out, and installed them as far back in the slot as possible.
Mine needed a little trim on all three surfaces to fly level and straight at 1/2 throttle, and would then climb noticably at full throttle, so I added 3% down elevator to throttle mix in my dx6i. This seems to be pretty close but I'm going to need a calm day to make a final setting decison.

I found elevator to be pretty strong, but ailerons to be weak, so I moved the ailerons from the outermost hole to the second closest and its much better. The plane now rolls pretty much like the t-28 trojan after that plane gets the inner hole mod. Split s's and such are now easy where before they were too slow and therefore difficult.

When I had moments of calm air, the plane did seem quite stable and predictable with the settings I have so far, and landings were slow and easy.

I do feel the plane is'nt terribley fast compared to the t-28, but that could be due to the 3 blade prop which does seem to make more low speed thrust than the t-28s 2 blader.

I'll post more as I get more flight time in.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old May 03, 2011, 06:41 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Just got mine!
UPS guy didn't arrive until 7PM, but he also had the props for my 800mm T-28, so I have 2 planes to run in the AM!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old May 03, 2011, 08:05 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
UM F4U Maiden!

It was far too windy outside when I unboxed my Corsair - could see the palm fronds bending in the wind. But I knew I'd be awake all night in full-blown new plane addictive craving mode. So I took it out with my Champ.
At the field, I put the Champ up in the wind and even IT was struggling to go forward with a 5043 and a Hyp 180 lipo. And naturally, it was doin' the dolphin; up n' down, frolicking in the wind the way Champs do.

So I said, "No way am I wrecking this F4U on its maiden!"
I flew through the battery and I was about to put a 2nd lipo into the Champ when I said...
"Oh, what the Hell..." (Yeah, I was talking to myself.)

First thing I did was crank-in 4 rounds of up ↑ on the elevator so there'd be no nosing-in on the hand launch.
Then I pushed it to full throttle and gave it a toss. Man, did it move away FAST.
I barely had to trim it out at all, except to take 2 clicks out of the up ↓ I had already given her.

As I brought her around with the wind, this plane was shooting fast and straight like an arrow! I was amazed at the speed!

It is definitely a glider, but it was gliding WAY faster than my T-28. And as I gave her some left aileron to bring her back from about 60 feet downwind, she rolled into the turn (had to give a little right stick up ↑) and blasted right back to me through the wind. Amazing! Like the wind wasn't even there.

(BTW, It would have taken the Champ about 30-40 seconds to get back to me, it took the Corsair literally about 4-5 seconds!)
I then gave it some altitude and MAN that plane is fast! But it just "feels" good, so I never felt out of control.

Not sure how it cruises @ low n' slow, because the wind prohibited any attempt and I wasn't about to plant it in the dirt.

After about 5-6 minutes, I simply brought her around downwind, slowed her a bit, then aimed her into a patch of tall green grass for a soft landing. I cut the prop when she was about 15" up and she just glided in nicely.
First thing I did was check those wing servos.

They were fine: a successful and fun maiden!

This plane is special. It is very light and looks awesome in the air. I'll hold judgement on the F4U versus the T-28 until I can try it out in the calm morning air and see how she cruises. I am convinced that nothing flies like that little "T," but the F4U just might have something for her!

Want to move up from the Champ?
Buy this plane!
Old May 03, 2011, 08:31 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
980 Posts
Just maidened mine tonight, and I'm pleased to report it flies GREAT! There were winds, probably too much to really fly outside, but like others here I thought "what the heck" and went for it.

Took off on pavement, straight into the wind, didn't roll very far and was climbing out fine. I never made it to full throttle, it was in the air at about half. Was using a 160 mah Hyp that was well used, and put it in the middle of the battery box. After flying around for a while and having the wind do the up and down thing, I landed on the pavement with no problem. Smooth as silk. Moved batt all the way forward and took off again. Much better in the wind.

Loops from level flight just fine, cruise at half throttle is fast. I think in calm weather it would cruise around pretty slow on a lot less than half throttle. Should be a rocket on full throttle. Rolls were just fine.

I noticed that in turbulence the ailerons often didn't recover it very quickly, and had to use a lot of aileron sometimes. Since I also fly 3D I'm really comfortable turning on rudder, so to help it with the wind I started correcting turns with the rudder. It turns just as well on rudder as it does on ailerons! This leads me to believe it should be a lot of fun for snap rolls and flat spins once it calms down (really scale flyin huh?).

All in all, I really like this one. Oh yeah, second landing on pavement just fine, makes me wonder why with all the wind it was able to land so smoothly? I expected some prop tip rash from a nose over, but nope. Was able to taxi out and back just fine too. This thing handles wind pretty darn good.
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old May 04, 2011, 01:14 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Great posts!

Super awesome posts of this small but mighty air machine! Getting mine on Friday from Horizon,so it's on the horizon Illinois to South Florida about 5 days, I think Mac? Cool, will post vids on Saturday if all goes to plan..J
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old May 04, 2011, 01:17 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Are you flying with the dx6i right? How much expo and rates etc, is it listed in the manual etc? Thanks, Janick..
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old May 04, 2011, 04:32 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N212LA View Post
Are you flying with the dx6i right? How much expo and rates etc, is it listed in the manual etc? Thanks, Janick..
J,
Mine shipped out of Champaign on Friday night and arrived on Tuesday, so it looks like it's 4 days to FL.

I'm on the DX6i and set the F4U @ 80% dual rates across the board and 20% expo. Seemed fine at those settings for me, and it was windy.

It is calm and pristine outside this AM< so I'm up early in an attempt to video a few passes @ low and slow to see how she compares to the T-28.

I still think the Champ will reign #1 in the "low cruise" category. It's tough to beat a high-wing with lots of dihedral.
Old May 04, 2011, 06:46 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Very nice flight reports. Glad to hear the little Corsair can handle some wind. I just got a UM T-28 so I'll be getting some flight time on it before I go for the Corsair. Gotta love these little UM's. Still have my little PZ Cessna, which seems like an antique now.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Last edited by DaveG; May 04, 2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old May 04, 2011, 06:55 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
932 Posts
Just found this post and this Corsair looks like its going to be a winner! Wife said that I cant have one until Fathers day so I will have to experience it through your posts. I was afraid that with the Corsairs wing shape that side gusts would want to roll her over but it sounds as if it dosent affect it much. God Speed to you pioneers of the Corsair! Keep us posted.
Jim
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old May 04, 2011, 01:15 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I did 2 videos this morning. One has the T-28, the new Corsair and the Champ -- all flying for about 2 minutes each. I posted it in the Champ Forum if you're interested.

Then I just posted the Corsair (only) below, which is pretty-much boring because I didn't have anyone to shoot the video while I flew. The camera was tripod-mounted and not very good.

But... FWIW: