SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:38 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenjin View Post
Aeajr, you've got it. Good to finally meet someone not made of foam

For other "foamies": if you have a son don't buy him a foam plane, better buy him Lego, because there is more creativity in a $5 box of Legos than in a $200 foam model.
Oh dear...
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenjin View Post
Aeajr, you've got it. Good to finally meet someone not made of foam

For other "foamies": if you have a son don't buy him a foam plane, better buy him Lego, because there is more creativity in a $5 box of Legos than in a $200 foam model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Take heart, molenjin, you have been thoroughly duped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Oh dear...
Agreed!

Guys, I have a distinct notion we are dealing with a very serious case of "Bats in the Belfry" down under.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Didn't a foam glider win at SEFF a few years ago.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,955 Posts
I reckon they don't do irony and sarcasm in Serbia...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
Didn't a foam glider win at SEFF a few years ago.
It wouldn't surprise me at all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
Escondido CA.
Joined Jul 2003
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
If you have a higher end Airtronics radio you can rebind the Phoenix II and program in flaps and spoilers. Or you can switch out the receiver to one compatible with your existing radio and do the same thing. Just sayin'
Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on this plane for a few months. I think I "need" to buy one.

A few questions. I would be running this plane with my RDS8000
  1. Do the aileron wires combine once they enter the fuse? I only see three JST connectors plugged into the Rx so I am guessing this is the case.
  2. I looked at the RX500 manual to see if it can handle individual L and R ailerons. I know the larger Airtronics receivers will, but can the RX500? It would be fun to implement flaperons with the stock Rx.
Thanks,
Matt
mtucker is offline Find More Posts by mtucker
Last edited by mtucker; Apr 27, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on this plane for a few months. I think I "need" to buy one.

1. Do the aileron wires combine once they enter the fuse? I only see three JST connectors plugged into the Rx so I am guessing this is the case.
  2. I looked at the RX500 manual to see if it can handle individual L and R ailerons. I know the larger Airtronics receivers will, but can the RX500? It would be fun to implement flaperons with the stock Rx.
Thanks,
Matt
Hey Matt,

It does indeed run the ailerons on a "y" harness, I don't think it would be too difficult to run seperate wires. I'm not completely familiar with the programming options on the RD8000, but if the radio is capable then I don't see why you couldn't run seperate channels for the ailerons in the RX500. I plan to do exactly what you are suggesting, so that I can program flaperons and spoilerons.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,250 Posts
Molenjin is a moderator and is therefore not subject to the IGNORE function (too bad). Please do not feed the TROLL any longer.

On topic - nice review
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:43 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
787 Posts
Hi guys,
I am sorry that this thread has gone to a wrong direction.. Cheers!
molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
Last edited by molenjin; Apr 29, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:50 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
Lets get something straight here. In no way does a foam model take away anything from modeling. I see people all the time taking foam models and making them into something else with creativity.

Many 90mm fan and turban jets use foam core wings.

Blah blah blah.....I can go on.

Ultimately here is the deal. You have successfully derailed a tread, not once, but twice. Foam VS Balsa VS Glass is a thread of it's own. If you would like to continue the discussion of the "Foam Wars", start a thread about it. Otherwise leave us be so that we may discuss setups and ways to modify and tweak this bird.
TimJohnson is online now Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Last edited by TimJohnson; Apr 27, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I do have to agree with you on this. It allows people into the hobby who are not interested in buildling their first plane or in picking up the splinters of their first mistakes. People like that should not be allowed to fly. I bet they had training wheels on their 2 wheelers too.

Foam planes tend to lead to faster success and a much faster and deeper engagement in the hobby. Where is the pain and the suffering that is necessary to enjoy the hobby. How will they ever learn to fly properly if they have not had to pick up splinters in the field? I bet these guys don't even bring body ... ahh ... trash bags with them to deal with bad landings.

Naturally a person who starts on a foam plane will never fly anything else. I believe there is a rule against people who own foam planes from owning anyting else. I know I had to get a special permit from the AMA to own composite planes and to build wood kits. Something about foam destroying my creative abilities. I found the written test quite challenging.

Alas, having foam planes that are as light or lighter than their wood counter parts will destroy the hobby. It is sad, but we will have to accept it. Progress, you know.

Popcorn anyone? But let me warn you, I did not grow the corn myself. The popcorn came from a bag that I put in the microwave.
Oh, sweet sarcasm! Makes that corn taste like kettle corn! Good post.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
Escondido CA.
Joined Jul 2003
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
If you want to do the Flaparon mix with you RDS800 and the RX500 you will not have any issues. I would recommend two 6 inch servo extensions.
Thanks. That is exactly the info I was looking for. I knew the RDS8000 can handle it (I use channels 2 and 6 for ailerons on my receivers with more channels), but wasn't sure if that meant it couldn't be done since there is no channel 6 on the RX500.
That does it. I have to get one now!

Thanks,
Matt
mtucker is offline Find More Posts by mtucker
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
.....BTW, nice review. I was just looking at this bird earlier today.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post

Thanks,
Matt
If you want to do the Flaparon mix with your RDS800 and the RX500 you will not have any issues. I would recommend two 6 inch servo extensions.
TimJohnson is online now Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:26 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,411 Posts
There have been many foam models around since the '70s, long before the Easy Star. Unfortunately, many of those reading these pages were not into the hobby back then, so they assume "foam" to be a recent "modeling concept".

I was flying an OS Max .15 glow powered, foam made Piper Cubs back in 1978 (33 years ago). It was manufactured by Sure Flite and was a full fledged foamy "kit". Photo below is that of a late '70s foamy J-3 like the one I owned back then. That photo was borrowed from a for sale thread here, where the seller states that all he knows about it is that it's and old model entirely built from a foam kit. Second photo, (just added) is from a Sure Flite Spitfire foamy from 1978.

I also had a 16' (yes, 16 foot) wingspan Sweet 16 built from a styrofoam kit with plywood bulkheads and firewall built back in 1981 and powered by an OS Max Gold-Head .60 engine. No, I no longer have photos of that one.

Foam might be new to some, the older RC modeling generation has known foam as a useful material in our hobby for quite sometime. My first foamy was a "RTF" single channel, hybrid Testor Models named "Skyhawk", purchased from Lafayette Radio in 1968.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Last edited by qban_flyer; Apr 27, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Adding pix.