HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2010, 09:47 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Discussion
Forgot to take it out of the plane...

A bad habit of mine is after a long lazy Sunday afternoon of flying the glider I tend to just toss it in the van and not remove the battery. I have an ESC in it that has a switch, but alas it does still draw some power. I did exactly that last sunday only to discover the batttery yesterday.(Thursday pm)

I put it on a battery tester and it wouldn't even light it up. So I put the pack a 3s 2200 on a Trition set for Ni cad at 100 mills to see what I got. After 30 minuets I got about 3.5 volts/cell and took it off to stabalize. All cells were within about .1 volt, not bad. Put it on a balance charger and set the charge current to 200 mills in balance mode and walked away.

This morning It had pumped in 2358 mills and shut off with all cells at 4.2 volts. So now it is on discharge at .4 amps to see what kind of low draw capaicity it can deliver and if that goes well, I'll do another slow charge and try a high discharge capacity check.

It may never be suitable for flight again, but it might make a good tx pack now, LOL.

MIke R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 11:28 AM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
That is one of the reasons I dislike having a switch on an esc. These have got to be for the nitro guys that switch to electric and want a "on/off" switch. I have head the guys I fly with wanting the same thing but I believe they need to rethink how they do things. I believe you need to put the pack in and connect it when you want to fly and take it out when you are are done. This saves you from all sorts of potential issues including forgetting about the pack, having a fire in your plane should something go wrong, accidentally leaving the plane on only to have it start up when you turn on the transmitter, etc. Apparently I can now add this one to the list.

Anyhow sorry to be negative about this but I just don't like with these switch enabled escs. There is a very good chance your pack will be fine if it charges fine.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Apr 02, 2010, 11:32 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
That is one of the reasons I dislike having a switch on an esc. These have got to be for the nitro guys that switch to electric and want a "on/off" switch. I have head the guys I fly with wanting the same thing but I believe they need to rethink how they do things. I believe you need to put the pack in and connect it when you want to fly and take it out when you are are done. This saves you from all sorts of potential issues including forgetting about the pack, having a fire in your plane should something go wrong, accidentally leaving the plane on only to have it start up when you turn on the transmitter, etc. Apparently I can now add this one to the list.

Anyhow sorry to be negative about this but I just don't like with these switch enabled escs. There is a very good chance your pack will be fine if it charges fine.
I agree with you whole hartedly.

I may just cut the switch off and be done with the problem all together. .
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Apr 03, 2010, 04:46 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Yup, just twist the bared wires together, solder wouldn't hurt. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Apr 03, 2010, 04:50 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
Yup, just twist the bared wires together, solder wouldn't hurt. Tex.

FWIW, some of the switches work the other way. Open circuit = on.
Safer that way since a switch failure won't cause loss of power.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie