HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:36 PM
Arendal Norway
Joined May 2008
87 Posts
BrumBob: The battery was the first to be suspected, thus eliminated.
torqueflite is offline Find More Posts by torqueflite
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:42 PM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
510 Posts
just for a laugh I just cold-soaked a complete system in the freezer for a couple of hours - everything still worked perfectly on switching on, and the new-ish 2100mAh nimh managed 5.2v. Servos were slower than normal though. I don't have a thermometer handy, but it's a *** freezer, and the fishfingers are frozen solid
It looks like Renatoa is right,. send it back under warranty.
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:48 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Still remains disappointing the small range of this system, under one mile, while the grands reports 2-3 miles. This negates the telemetry usefulness, it is usually associated with long distance systems, or at least out of LOS.
Guy's, has this 'small range' figure been properly field tested ?
The reason I ask is that I've done a lot of range checks on two other RC systems using the Texas CC2500 chip and preamp. Both had over 2km of range on the ground. The CC2500 chipset has very good sensitivity compared to many older model 2.4Ghz transceiver chips. Maybe FrSky is being very cautious with their figure.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:52 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
just for a laugh I just cold-soaked a complete system in the freezer for a couple of hours - everything still worked perfectly on switching on, and the new-ish 2100mAh nimh managed 5.2v. Servos were slower than normal though. I don't have a thermometer handy, but it's a *** freezer, and the fishfingers are frozen solid
It looks like Renatoa is right,. send it back under warranty.
The curse of Lead Free solder... Soldering reliability has taken a big dive.

I'd bet one solder joint near the clock crystal or a related component is cracked and opens up when the temperature is low.

I regularly resolder servo pins and SMD parts on Spektrum receivers for that reason (when they play up).
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
BrumBob: The battery was the first to be suspected, thus eliminated.
Hi torqueflite,

I am Chase from FrSky.

First, could you please tell me whare did you bought our system?Till now,we have not found any formal dealer/distributor in Norway.

You have right to back it to the dealer/distributor who you bought from. If it is not inconvenient, you also could replace a new one from us directly. We offer one years warranty.

Note, based on our test, our system could work very well above -20 Celsius.

By the way, regarding the range of our system, we are really indicating the parameter a bit conservatively(not only the range), we suppose our system can offer people enough range to enjoy it. It will not worse then other most system.

Thanks all
Chase Wu
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Feb 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:40 AM
Arendal Norway
Joined May 2008
87 Posts
Chase Wu: This set was given to me for testing purposes by a Norwegian dealer who imported two sets as test samples. It looks a bit different from the one pictured in the beginning of this thread, please see the attached picture.

It didn't cost me anything, so I do not intend to claim any warranty. So far it seems to work in warmer temperatures than we currently are blessed with, so I'll just wait a few weeks. It *does* put a dent in the test results though.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:08 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Guy's, has this 'small range' figure been properly field tested ?
The reason I ask is that I've done a lot of range checks on two other RC systems using the Texas CC2500 chip and preamp. Both had over 2km of range on the ground. The CC2500 chipset has very good sensitivity compared to many older model 2.4Ghz transceiver chips. Maybe FrSky is being very cautious with their figure.
I agree about CC2500, it is used also in the new Hitec system, with range more than 2km on the ground measurerd by me.
But no system is using CC2500 alone, they all have a preamp between the antenna and this chip. Corona, using this chip, for example, has a lame range.

1.2km is taken from their own specs. How cautious could they be?
Maybe one of the early buyers can make a simple ground test with the car as I did.
FrSky, give me 3km in air and I will switch from Hitec, when your telemetry version is available !
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:37 AM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
Chase Wu: This set was given to me for testing purposes by a Norwegian dealer who imported two sets as test samples. It looks a bit different from the one pictured in the beginning of this thread, please see the attached picture.

It didn't cost me anything, so I do not intend to claim any warranty. So far it seems to work in warmer temperatures than we currently are blessed with, so I'll just wait a few weeks. It *does* put a dent in the test results though.
Hi torqueflite,

I recalled this set is the earlier test sample(long time ago), this batch are not impeccable. We would like to send you a new set to test if you wish.

Regards
Chase
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Feb 12, 2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:49 AM
Arendal Norway
Joined May 2008
87 Posts
Chase Wu: That could certainly explain a lot. I am looking forward to test the current version.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
I have a test set here that I will be testing this weekend, one of the tests will be a range check. I remember when Spektrum came out there ranges were also restricted more out of being conservative.

I have the 4ch which I suspect can do more than 500m, and the full 8ch rx which I intend mounting in my glider so range is going to be a very important factor to me. But from the initial things I have seen I would say that the 1.6km is very conservative. Just need to dig out my GPS so I can get an accurate range check

As for the cost, I am the NZ distributor and the rx's are less than half the cost of the Spektrum stuff here. Futaba when you can get it is out of the reach of most here. Hitec is predicted to be slightly less than the Spektrum stuff.

The module is sitting at a third of the price of a Spektrum kit.

So either our market is over priced on the Spektrum stuff or you guys have a more competitive market price wise if the FrSky is only 33% less than the other kit.
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:02 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
A new brand like this need to build up a strong and good reputation first, then you could begin maybee higher the prices,,,, If the differance is only a few bucks/ receivers I think still most would choose for example Hitec 2.4ghz.

Im not saying Hitec is better , only it has a stronger name, and someway people relate that to confidence...

I have tested my 5 2.4ghz system now about 1 year, and soon I will tell you what I have been experianced... the 6:th system (spectrum) I will have sent to me by an American dealer soon for test..... Now I only have to lay my hands on Hitec 2.4 also, then maybee sometimes after summer 2010 I will have much to say when Ive tested 7 different systems in differnet planes an places..

But sure, FrSky sounds good so far..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:13 AM
Joined May 2009
95 Posts
The Flydream system are using excactly same chinese modules, with cc2500 also you can see the 4channel 8channel receiver Frsky Flydream seem identical hardware wise, firmware wise they differ.

I found the Flydream 4 channel ranging much further than stated, I really would like to see some good tests on the behaviour of diversity.

With Flydream I found antenna's diversity is doubtfull, how does FRsky implemented it? When do they switch antenna's and is diversity working? In my eyes best diversity is with each antenna it's own receiver chip.

How could we test it? Range is likely not a problem it should be multiple KM, but 100% reliability at all times at big range, this is not so easy to test.
fernandez is offline Find More Posts by fernandez
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
All CC2500 implementers, including Hitec, use a chip between antenna and CC2500, that is both diversity switcher and preamp / telemetry amplifier. CC2500 has embeded telemetry, it's a transceiver, but the transmit power is 1mW / 0dB, so good only for some hundred metters.
About reliabilty, it is done by CC2500 chip itself, and should be the same for all, because the decoding is done at this level. Only the FH algoritm is done by a proprietary processor/software, and can't affect reliability (too) much.
Last edited by renatoa; Feb 12, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:36 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandez View Post
how does FRsky implemented it? (antenna diversity) When do they switch antenna's and is diversity working? In my eyes best diversity is with each antenna it's own receiver chip.
The Frsky switches antennas when it sees a loss of link via the CC2500's RSSI/LQI. If neither antenna has a signal it will continue to switch every 35ms. Switching is via the usual ES02 - you can see the switching by scoping the CTX & CRX pins.

Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:13 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Can these pins be used as a quantitative approach of RSSI ?