HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Try being on Social Security and pensions...

SteveT
I am aspiring to that Steve, maybe in 5 years, maybe another 14 .... who knows? Just hoping my eyesight holds up.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:54 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Disability...not early retirement... been getting it since 2002...

SteveT
I am on temp disability.for 3.5 dam years. It sucks and i hate it..Has cost me everything.Everything
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I am on temp disability.for 3.5 dam years. It sucks and i hate it..Has cost me everything.Everything
Mine isn't temporary, it is permanent, but I feel for you brother, I really do...

And guys, I sorry that this has derailed the 71" Slick thread, this was certainly not my intention, so lets get back to the thread subject please.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:54 PM
Big G
Defiance, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
Picked up a 71" Slick. Electric, Orange. I am very excited. This will be my 5th 3DHS plane. But I have a couple of slight problems. The black trim with the white stars on the side of the fuse in the rear has delaminated. A clear overlayer has seperated from the black. The stars are applied to the clear. Anyone else see this problem.

Also, the blind nut has come out of one of the tail wheel attachments. Not sure how I will get in there to fix that.

Lastly, I have a lot of wrinkles. Didn't have any on the other planes. Started ironing seems like I am getting what looks like orange peal. I have the iron on med temp. Am I using too much heat?

Thanks, love this thread.

Big G
gtimmons is offline Find More Posts by gtimmons
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:00 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
I *hate* black ultrakote. Unfortunately, yes the delamination is rather normal on black. It seems that on all the planes I get that have black about 1 in 4 has this delamination problem quite badly. My 71 also suffers from this. I have had the clear part of the black peel off of both stars, and also the black stripe heading down towards the tail, as well as the black strip on the leading edge of my left wing, and a little bit of the strip on front. I almost don't want to fly it anymore because after every flight it seems like I am yanking off another long piece of clearcote on the black.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I *hate* black ultrakote. Unfortunately, yes the delamination is rather normal on black. It seems that on all the planes I get that have black about 1 in 4 has this delamination problem quite badly. My 71 also suffers from this. I have had the clear part of the black peel off of both stars, and also the black stripe heading down towards the tail, as well as the black strip on the leading edge of my left wing, and a little bit of the strip on front. I almost don't want to fly it anymore because after every flight it seems like I am yanking off another long piece of clearcote on the black.
+1....but the slick is the first plane I've experienced this with
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,137 Posts
Don't rip it off...go home and iron it back down, it will stick better (at least this has worked for me)...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:13 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Don't rip it off...go home and iron it back down, it will stick better (at least this has worked for me)...

SteveT
That's what I did but it left some air bubbles under it or something. I don't mind but it did come off in quite a few spots
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
Big G
Defiance, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
Yea I ironed it back down but it also had a lot of air bubbles. I then pealed it up and tried rapid tac a solution that I use to put down vinal. That was better on the bubbles but it came right off just picking up the plane. I noticed the other side is starting to work up. I just unwraped this bird last friday. It hasn't even been outside yet.

Still looking for a perment fix.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:23 PM
Big G
Defiance, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
Anyone know when ironing do you use low temp, med or high

Big G
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,137 Posts
The best temp to apply Ultracote is about 240-280 degrees, and maximum shrinkage occurs at around 350 degrees. If you get bubbles, use a needle or small sharp pin to pierce the bubble and iron it down. the hole will not be seen...

If trying to use a home iron, set it on the setting for cotton.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimmons View Post
Anyone know when ironing do you use low temp, med or high

Big G
hangar 9 has some instructions for working with ultracote. I know this is a longer answer than you are probably hoping for but it is much more comprehensive and you will see how ultracote functions with heat.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Articles/Art...ArticleID=1115
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:02 PM
Big G
Defiance, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.

Big G
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:39 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Did you get hurt at work ?
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
I'm having the clear come off the black too. Quite a problem with the cold, it comes down and pretty much peeled off.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes