HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Hi Don,

sorry mate but do you mean more cells or more mAh?

Thanks mate
Kenzo77 is offline Find More Posts by Kenzo77
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,021 Posts
More mah. The more amps you draw out of the lipo the lower the voltage will be. By increasing the mah you will not not be loading the lipo as hard so will hold voltage better.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
I guess I'll jump on the band wagon, seems like the SR fever is upon us. This round I'll dig the ESC's into the wing. I should probably glass the trenches to try to regain some of the lost strength.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Today's Progress (Build Day #5)

Well... it may not look like I've had an overly productive day, but I did get my Pitot Tube and Airspeed indicator (mostly...) installed. I also got my new retracts put in (again, mostly...).

Redlite -- I haven't put in the CF supports yet on the nose... but will work them in as soon as I get some more CF in my hands. Otherwise, I think my pitot-tube install will look similar to yours (although not as 'clean' looking ) I opted to cut out the hole in the back of the nosecone with a grinding bit on my Dremel... then I used a metal coat hangar that I heated up with my heat-gun to push a hole through the nose, back to the wheelwell so I could route the air-lines back to the sensor. I still need to cut the air lines to fit... but was waiting until I was positive that things were where I wanted them!

For the retracts, they required a slightly wider cut-out, and a deeper channel to be mounted in. Unfortunately, the wing isn't thick enough to remove ANY foam for deeper retract wells... so I had to add a plywood shim to elevate the retract mount a bit. Then it was just a matter of cutting the channel width-wise to allow the retract to fit. Oh... and I made a rookie mistake on the plywood shim... thinking that I was gluing plywood to plywood, I wanted to use thin-CA... and it wasn't until the CA was pouring out of the bottle on the 2nd retract that I realized that it wasn't "Foam-Safe CA" Had a small bit of foam erosion, but was able to build it back up with some 5-min epoxy, then ground it back down with the Dremel to provide a strong, smooth finish.

The axis of rotation for the retract is set back a bit further on my new gear than on the stock retracts, so I need to get slightly longer struts to allow the gear to be securely attached in the retract with the set-screw and still be long enough to make it into the gear well... but don't have any 2.5mm music wire on-hand at the moment, so it's gonna require either a trip to the LHS or a mail delivery before I can really get them mounted. If I end up bending my own struts, I think I'll step them up to 3.0mm wire to make them a bit sturdier. Overall though, I REALLY like the retracts... they are 'servo-less' and have an electric motor installed that rotates a metal jack-screw to extend/retract the gear. Unlike the included stock retracts, there's really no way for the gear to start to collapse... these things are bomb-proof! Plus, the set-screw that holds the strut in the retract actually screws into metal (instead of plastic, like on the stock retracts). The only negative about them, is that they don't mount flush with the bottom of the wing... they stick out by about 3/32", but I'd rather have a tiny bit of extra drag while I'm flying than a lot of extra drag as my wingtip scrapes down the runway after the main landing gear collapses!

I'll post a few pics of today's progress... and will upload ALL of the pics that I took (and there are a LOT) of pics onto a special Facebook page that I set up for this build (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sullys...3286?sk=photos)
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:23 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
That's p. awesome. Are those retracts from Hobby Partz?
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Nice progress Cobra68...Will you be finishing her off with a custom livery? (hint, hint LOL)
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
That's p. awesome. Are those retracts from Hobby Partz?
No... I got them from another site... you can get the metal ones here: http://www.toysonics.com/digital-ser...5094m-1pc.html or you can also buy a plastic version for a dollar less...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
I guess I'll jump on the band wagon, seems like the SR fever is upon us. This round I'll dig the ESC's into the wing. I should probably glass the trenches to try to regain some of the lost strength.
Hey Lloyd, good to see you're on another SR project. This will be fun...

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:54 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post

Redlite -- I haven't put in the CF supports yet on the nose... but will work them in as soon as I get some more CF in my hands. Otherwise, I think my pitot-tube install will look similar to yours (although not as 'clean' looking ) I opted to cut out the hole in the back of the nosecone with a grinding bit on my Dremel... then I used a metal coat hangar that I heated up with my heat-gun to push a hole through the nose, back to the wheelwell so I could route the air-lines back to the sensor. I still need to cut the air lines to fit... but was waiting until I was positive that things were where I wanted them!
Never saw an SR I didn't like...great job, upgrades on this plane are irresistible.

Pitot tube install looks right on...pre-painting the cuts before assembly was the proper method. The CF nose job was later after some hits, so that can wait. Keep up the great effort...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:58 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Nice progress Cobra68...Will you be finishing her off with a custom livery? (hint, hint LOL)
For this one, I wasn't really planning on it... usually, after the first couple flights, my models all have a 'custom' look to them

I have been thinking that the mix of the stock paint, and the Flat Black that I've been using for touch-ups, is kinda ugly -- and I might end up just painting the whole thing flat black... but also don't wan't to add excess weight just for paint -- at least, not until I know whether or not she can handle it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
After I finally looked at the MaxJet SR, there are quite a few differences from the LX SR. Some good, like the gear wells, but mostly not so good for the MJ. But nothing so bad as to affect the flight performance, just the scale looks. So if this is not a requirement, get the MJ for its huge savings for the bare airframe. The LX is exquisite in fit and finish compared to the MJ, worth the extra $.

The best news is...the recommended weight on the MJ instruction sheet...40 ounces...2.5 pounds. That helps in explaining why we're getting away with flying overweight models...not so porky after all at 2.8 pounds.

Joe
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:59 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,021 Posts
Working on my fan units. Going with the regular Wicked 4000 and Pentium 40 ESCs.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:12 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,555 Posts
Great to see the thread is active! Should have some more inboard footage this weekend!
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Don, my Wicked power system arrived today, thank you! Everything looks fantastic! Now it's time to start putting her together. Thanks again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Here's the initial photos of the Wicked system, afterburnerz kit and thrust tubes. Everything looks and fits as it should but I am still having a heck of a time figuring out how to properly tape the base of the thrust tubes to the EDF shroud/fan units. The wires running from the afterburnerz is creating a bit of a crinkle in the thrust tube. I was hoping to avoid having to channel a tunnel for the wires to recess into as it is a major pain to work inside of the thrust channel of this bird.

I will also need to make a clear set of O-rings for the thrust tube so they don't block the LEDs from the afterburnerz. Again, thanks to Don for providing the power plant and getting it all set up for me!
RCG Plus Member