SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:33 PM
uhohsmack
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
FORBES Called us all out for being lame!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...limit-flights/

Please read and respond!

We talk a lot of game, but looks like us nerds won't even put down our soldering irons long enough to type a passive aggressive (but please a thoughtful one) reply to our soon to be FAA overlords.

Didn't you learn anything from Star Wars, Harry Potter, or any of the Mystery Science movies? We must stand up to the Federation or evil witches will conquer and Aliens will zap us with lasers every time to we try to fly FPV.

If we lose this, it's our fault. Make some noise. Don't wait for the perfect opportunity, seize the first opportunity and then see where it leads. and do it NOW!

Even Forbes called us lame. That sucks.

go here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD...=FAA-2014-0396 and write something. Then send the same thing to your state representatives. Then ask for written explanations from the FAA. Let's get as much in writing as we can.
ddpemberton is offline Find More Posts by ddpemberton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:59 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,830 Posts
About the tenth thread with the same link to complain to.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:01 PM
uhohsmack
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
And have you complained yet?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:32 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
I agree, it is lame, but it doesn't really surprise me. As fast as FPV is growing, and
in spite of the large number of members claimed by various FPV related groups,
I've always felt that the passionate heart of the community was still pretty small, and
even they usually can't agree on anything fundamental.

What dismays me most is to see a large percentage (probably majority) of other RC hobbyists
(including a shocking number of other FPV pilots) just simply agreeing with the FAA
without realizing that they are not immune to the consequences. It's a cut off our noses to
spite the face sort of deal, and many blame FPV piloting for all the ills of the world.
Many non-FPV pilots seem to think that throwing FPV pilots under the bus (either actively
by trolling our forums, or by just being passive when their voices need to be heard) will
save them from notice from the FAA (despite the fact that most high profile incidences
have actually involved non-FPV pilots).

Worse yet, over the years I've never seen any three FPV pilots
get together and agree on any *one* thing regarding safety, let alone able to form any sort
of unified response to the FAA who are saying they can pretty much do anything they want
to all any/modellers with no limits whatsoever. Many FPV pilots now seem too busy
pointing fingers and being ashamed of each other to realize that we actually do
share a common passion, or to bother taking the time express to the FAA what they
think of this interpretation of a law that was meant to limit their reach into model
aviation, rather than extend it.
We get a lot more "See, I told you this would happen if you didn't stop doing X.
It's your fault. You all suck." instead of "Let's tell the FAA that they're trying to take
away *our* hobby and happiness without doing their actual job, as tasked by congress, to
safely integrate sUAS into the NAS, and to specifically not interfere with true hobby model
aviation (which still has an excellent safety record)".

The Forbes article cites several other comment campaigns about seemingly
more mundane issues that received an order of magnitude more comments. I'll bet a
large percentage of those comments were cut and paste. But our community is too fractured
to even do that. No one person can write a comment to the FAA that any majority of other
FPV or RC users will agree with, let alone copy in whole or in significant part. We're all passionate
about FPV, but apparently even more passionate about pointing out how everyone else is
doing it wrong, to focus our attention on the threat common to us all.

Even if you don't want to try to pick apart the FAA's new world view, perhaps you
could just tell them why you do what do and what it means to you. Personally,
I *dreamed* about FPV piloting when I was just a kid, long before it existed in any real
world form, and I know I'm not the only one. People often ask me
"Have you ever wanted to get a full scale pilot's license?"
Me: "Sure, considered it, but even with a pilot's license and plane, I couldn't fly like this. I can't
skim the ground, and dodge and duck under the trees, and feel like I'm going 400mph only
2 feet from the ground, and then share it with the world to enjoy."
Amateur FPV piloting has existed in the real world since about the mid 80s, but
didn't explode into what we see today until VRFlyer posted his famous Bromont Golf Club
videos. Flying low with a cheap foam pusher platform, camera on pan & tilt, controlled with
a head tracker, attached to a set of video goggles. *THAT* is the essence of FPV piloting.
That's what sparked a whole generation of FPV pilots. The FAA claiming that
piloting through goggles is fundamentally a threat to the NAS, is a total crock. It wasn't
true when he posted those vids dodging the trees, and it isn't true now. VRFlyer's Bromont
Golf Club vids would not have captured the imagination without the total package (P&T + HT + goggles), and it
shocks me to see people now suggesting that if we just look for the loopholes in the
FAA's interpretation, piloting with LCD monitors instead, we'll be OK. It's really not OK.
If you agree, please tell the FAA that. If you don't agree (and you probably don't),
still tell them what you *do* think.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jul 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:11 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpemberton View Post
Nope.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:58 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpemberton View Post
half of this forum cannot complain to the FAA, including Sherman

we don't live in the USA, are not Americans

Though I did place a friendly note of dissent on the FAA Facebook page
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:03 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
If you don't, then you accept whatever comes down the pipe. The only thing we can do wrong here is nothing.

So what if this is "the tenth" post on this subject? We should be flooding the servers at every website with it, or just shut up when the hammer falls.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:11 PM
Sky Soldier
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2013
179 Posts
:'(
82ndRCFLYER is online now Find More Posts by 82ndRCFLYER
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:14 PM
Sky Soldier
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2013
179 Posts
I'm to scared to do anything even wipe my own arse. (so i'll just crawl up in fetal position and suck my thumb). PLEASE MAKE THE FAA GO AWAY NOW!!!!!
82ndRCFLYER is online now Find More Posts by 82ndRCFLYER
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:17 PM
uhohsmack
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Daemon, I like your point about is not being able to agree on fundamental things about our hobby. Really got me thinking in a lot of directions.

I mean that's how all pioneer hobbies start. No one knows what's best bet they are sure their version is indeed and should be the industry standard. Sign of a mature hobby would be accepted norms. But that's to be expected. We are a new hobby!

Then I tried to think of other "new" hobbies that have sprung up in the forum age and tried to think about how that effects is for better or worse. There is definitely more opinion and wrong information out there than fact! But there is also easier access to good info of u can sort through it. I wonder if access to info will help us mature more quickly than the massive amount of misinformation can slow us down.

I'll be interested to look back in 10 years and see what develops as standard and what of the things I do now that come to be majorly taboo.

My prediction is more guys like flite test, get FPV, and StoneBlue will come up with some good material. I think even though it seems like a community based growth, it will really still take some trustworthy leaders to weed through the crap and give us some quality resources
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:18 PM
uhohsmack
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Shameless plug, I work with the guys over at StoneBlue, and their FPV educational material is AWESOME!!!!!! Check it out stoneblueairlines.com
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
This thread is a great microcosm of the debate over this issue outside the FPV community.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203144
Some people blame all FPV pilots for the FAA's actions, and sincerely believe that the FAA's
re-interpretation simply will not affect them despite "plain language" to
the contrary. The FAA has done a masterful job of driving a wedge between us all.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member