HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:51 PM
United States, CA, Loomis
Joined Jul 2008
8 Posts
Phllip and Reinhard went out of their way to make me feel at home with them and we preformed as a team. It was a great four day experience. The technical planning and execution was most impressive.

Scott
Smeader is online now Find More Posts by Smeader
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:16 AM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
164 Posts
Questions to John

Hi John,

is there any chance you here or Dieter on xcsoaring.com can provide everyone's IGC files? Do you have them for the GPS racing as well?

A zipped file will work.

Thanks,

- Bob -
HLGNut is online now Find More Posts by HLGNut
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:48 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post

14 miles is a scary short task! With that short of a task, you may become limited by the vehicle instead of the aircraft...

This is true. I was driving Sunday while Larry was piloting the Aspire. With two guys sitting in bass boat chairs in the back of my truck I refused to go faster when we hit 75 mph with the Aspire flying over 90. Larry is an intense competitor and kept yelling faster, Faster! Sorry, too scary at 75 on those country roads (not to mention the CHP that went by just outside TP 9).

This was my 15th Montague and the most exciting and intense of any of them. All three top finishing teams were flying modified J planes and all three were using the RC Electronics T3000 telemetry system (triangle racing system). The three teams finished the courses all four days. Unfortunately the 4rth J team, Dean Gradwell's team flying a 5kg Royale, crashed out which is too bad as I really wanted to see how the Royale performed.

At first I was a little skeptical about the telemetry system in real XC racing conditions but am now a true believer. That telemetry system and these heavy F3J gliders changes everything. We have always flown at max 5 kg weight but when you pick up a "small" XC glider like the AspireXC at that wieght it is a little unnerving, it just doesnt seem "right". But it gave up NOTHING in climb which was really surprising. Also it handled wind better than anything I have flown (except maybe a Rodent sloper in 30mph wind on the coast...). On a huge clear day like Friday I thought the larger MXC would have the advantage due to its 14" chord wing being able to be seen at 4000+ ft. We debated this when John first built the X2xc last year. Turns out to be a non-issue, the J planes coupled with the T3000 telemetry had the advantage in all conditions. I think in clear air 3500 ft is about our max but the tremendous L/D, speed between thermals and ability in wind plus not giving up anything in climb at such high wing loadings ruled the day.

thanks to John Ellias (X2xc) and his teammate Rick Shelby (T3000) XC as we have known it is changed forever...

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Jun 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
267 Posts
Flight logs for all flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGNut View Post
Hi John,

is there any chance you here or Dieter on xcsoaring.com can provide everyone's IGC files? Do you have them for the GPS racing as well?

A zipped file will work.

Thanks,

- Bob -
Hi Bob

We missed not having you at Montague this year, especially at the scoring table!

See attached folders for all flights.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Jun 17, 2014, 04:52 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
164 Posts
Thanks John...

Maybe next year.

Does Winscore import .gpx files, or do you have to convert them first?

- Bob -
HLGNut is online now Find More Posts by HLGNut
Old Jun 17, 2014, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGNut View Post
Thanks John...

Maybe next year.

Does Winscore import .gpx files, or do you have to convert them first?

- Bob -

The gpx files must be converted to .igc files for winscore.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,789 Posts
Philip. Reinhard, and I arrived in Istanbul around 5 this afternoon. We had great fun viewing the runs as over lays on the plane. I would like to thank Dean Gradwell
and family for all his efforts that added so much to make this a first class event. Deans commitment to Soaring and the hobby is hard to believe.. He is a great guy and I look forward to sharing some time and sky with him soon.
I want to thank my Team Bill Curry and Steve Henke and Anya and Baron...You guys are great fun to fly and compete with.. I am glad you got me to come back to XC!
I want to thank Rick Shelby and John Elias for their help getting my RC 3000 up and running. This little gadget offers the team so much information and ability to race that it has become a necessary piece of kit for serious racing. I have some thoughts on our future but will save them for a later post when I am not jetlagged and have my thoughts together. Regardless I have to agree with Stevo...RC Cross Country has changed...LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Jun 19, 2014 at 04:00 AM.