Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:19 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Build Log
Bronco XXIII buildingreport

As Ken allready mentioned at my OSA 2 thread i'm working on the Bronco XXIII also, done a lot of things to get it where i stand now.
To gear you guys up, i'll post some vids instead of those boring pictures i always take, if there are questions i still have to post them anyway, this is the easiest way to get where i'm now, enjoy

Bronco XXIII part 1 (9 min 43 sec)

Bronco XXIII part 2 (4 min 58 sec)

Bronco XXIII part 3 (6 min 3 sec)

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 01:58 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
I'm crawling forward, finished up the rearpart for testing, the frontpart is not yet closed, simply because i still have to reach the steeringrods, have to adjust them to get the right travel for opening both torpedohatches.

Bronco XXIII part 4 (4 min 6 sec)

Manfred.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:25 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
Looks really good Manfred! Amazing how you have it splitting apart in any combination, quite and engineering feat. Will you be having to pass any voltage through the SD to anything outside? I need to in the Marlin but not sure how to tackle that just yet. Have a few ideas. I'm working on trimming the boat right now.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Oct 03, 2013, 03:12 AM
EUrope
Joined Apr 2008
748 Posts
Manfred, is possible to put here picture of ruder mechanism, mostly upper part. If possible, detail. There are small arms? Thanks
DDG 51 is offline Find More Posts by DDG 51
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:35 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Thanks Ken,

I went for the vertical split because there is a weldingline which will hide that just at that point, disadvantage of using this split is, i had to engineer a complete new setting, and modified the SD for my use.
Second option if this would fail was, to make the standard waterline split, for now everything is working great, i can take her apart in less then 5 seconds.
As for some voltage, maybe some nav lights in the future, getting those cables out of the SD is easy, just glue them down on both sides at the right spot, if you use a connector, grease it each time with some vaseline, against positive rotting.

Manfred.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:43 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
DGG 51,

This is the module i made for both the rudder and divingplanes, i use a pull/pull connection because there is not a lot of space inside the rearpart.

These are the pull/pull links seen from above.

A three side view of my module, i wanted to make something i could place inside as one piece, like all my components, i can take this out if needed for maintenance.

Manfred.
Last edited by MFR; Oct 04, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 06:11 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
650 Posts
Manfred....

Looks nice but remember to keep the tail light back there. Don't ask how I know. Nothing is worse than stuffing a tail heavy boat with foam.

D
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:50 PM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH View Post
Manfred....

Looks nice but remember to keep the tail light back there. Don't ask how I know. Nothing is worse than stuffing a tail heavy boat with foam.
It's not that hard: small cross section means only very little buoyancy, big cross section means lot's of buoyancy.

Great looking build BTW!

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Oct 04, 2013, 03:06 AM
EUrope
Joined Apr 2008
748 Posts
Manfred: Thanks for pictures, this pull pull system is using solid pushrods? I want to make something as this for my XXIII, modul system is great.I like access to hull, as you makes it
DDG 51 is offline Find More Posts by DDG 51
Old Oct 04, 2013, 11:00 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Thanks guys,

CaptDH,

Is that a OTW or a 32 paralell kit?, as for the weight of my entire module, complete with rudder and divingplanes, it weights 79 gram.

DDG 51,

Those pull/pull rods are hollow, if it's easier to build them massive, that can also be done.
Making the vertical split means, you have to get inside your model when something goes wrong, i tried to make everything as low maintenance as possible, when really needed i can take the complete submarine apart by unscrewing everything.

Manfred.
Old Oct 09, 2013, 02:06 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Builded up the model and made a vid to show how the torpedohatches and front divingplanes are in working order, also a oppertunity to show once again my magnetic vertical split, enjoy

Bronco XXIII part 5 (4 min 11 sec)

Manfred.
Old Oct 09, 2013, 06:20 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
Beautiful job Manfred! A lot of engineering to make something work so simply. Does it still need to be trimmed out? I guess the first run in the pond will happen soon enough.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:33 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Thanks Ken,

Once all the enigineering is done it does look simple, pulling it apart in three/four seconds, most of my time was filled with building the design to make this happen.

She's not trimmed yet, first have to add the scope and snorkel, working on that right now.

If all goes well i will hit some water within a few weeks, just in time before the bad weather starts.

Manfred.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:58 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Now it's time to get that scope and snorkel moving, i allready made some progress in making that happen, pictures

First i added some stainless tubes to both the scope and snorkel.

Dryfitting them on the conningtower to see which height will work.

Started up the lathe and made the plunger with O ring, a toppiece to close down the actuator and a bottompiece with the inlet.
Making it slide without much friction took most of the time, i lubricate it with vaseline, this stuff won't give residue inside the actuator.

Soldering up all those loose parts gives this, both items are in the retracted position.

Unfortunally the lenght won't be scale, this is due to the use of the SD which you can take out, so i won't be able to retract them inside the tower, with my dryhull boats i don't have that problem, since all stuff stays inside.

Manfred.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 09:41 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
Nice work Manfred, keep it up, I'm following along.