HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
well said, Tbird. Aradhana is a great guy! always pleasant and he really spends a lot of time refining his models and it shows. they fly very well!

Bill, i look forward to seeing your model in action.
cheers
paul
Paul,

it shouldn't be too long before I make it to ElDo. I'm hoping I can talk you into helping me get it set up proper.

Aradhana is one of the people it's a pleasure to do business with, and just to talk to for that matter.

I've been putting a little presure on him to make it to JEM this Jan. I really hope he can make it.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
I know for a fact that they're tough planes! I saw a buddy of mine destroy the wingtip of a steig (aramid dissed I think) and all his light speed sustained was a small leading edge dent! Was though to really see the damage! And they fly awesome!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,458 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that hollow core wings aren't for me. I'm too hard on my planes and I can't afford to replace wings on a regular basis nor am I very good at repairing that type of wing.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
There are some that are molded AND have foam cores. They could be the best of both worlds. Unfortunatly, that is for another thread.

Aradhana always have made works of art that also hold up well.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900 Driver View Post
I know for a fact that they're tough planes! I saw a buddy of mine destroy the wingtip of a steig (aramid dissed I think) and all his light speed sustained was a small leading edge dent! Was though to really see the damage! And they fly awesome!

Brandon
I personally know how tough they are. I lawn darted my old LS-1 on a medium to medium hard launch, and buried the nose almost 4" into fairly hard dirt (I didn't even want to look). The only damage was some minor delam, and ripped about 1 to 2" of the inboard aileron hinge.

Aradhana says that the "IV" is even more durable.....and it feels like it.

Last weekend was shot due to being out of town, and this weekend doesn't look so good to get the LS-4 in the air either I have taken it down and looked at it more than a few times though

Bill
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:32 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Finally got to go to the school yard to maiden the LightSpeed-IV in pretty strong wind. Even unballasted (284gms) it handled it very well, and I can tell lauches are going to be much better once I can put a little power behind it, and get it tuned proper. I think this plane just may make me look like a better pilot than I really am

Bill
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
Rick Roberts
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
Great thread going here!

3 weeks ago I posted looking for a beginners DLG and after much thinking decided to buy the Akcent posted by John. I got up early one morning and emailed him my intention to purchase his used glider, and was disappointed when he replied later that day that someone has just paypal'ed him the money.

But it was a blessing in disguise for me because he then offered to sell me a LightSpeed v.1! Being new to DLGs I had to consult Kenny Sharp. He texted me two words: Buy it!

So I did, and I now understand everything people are saying about ASK. I called him on a Saturday, he picked up and talked to me for 1.5hrs about my used glider. Cleared up a lot of questions and misconceptions, and gave me tips on setting up the glider.

I'm excited about the v.4 models and hope to be ready for one by the Spring.

Meanwhile, love to hear more about what others like about the v.4 as they start rolling out.

Rick
fwroberts is offline Find More Posts by fwroberts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:30 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
I will be more than happy to report (with my limited DLG experience) if I can ever find time to get to the field with it. Life has had me tied up more than usual lately.

Bill
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:43 AM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
I look forward to hearing about it Bill.

I was flying my LightSpeed v.1 last night a little too late into the evening and (sad to say) had an argument with a paved driveway on the field where I fly. It was a little too dark for my old eyes, I came in hard nose first and the little glider suffered some damage. So now I get to practice repairs, but better to practice on a used v.1 than a new v.4 right!

BTW, did you ever sell the ELF?

Rick
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts View Post
I look forward to hearing about it Bill.

I was flying my LightSpeed v.1 last night a little too late into the evening and (sad to say) had an argument with a paved driveway on the field where I fly. It was a little too dark for my old eyes, I came in hard nose first and the little glider suffered some damage. So now I get to practice repairs, but better to practice on a used v.1 than a new v.4 right!

BTW, did you ever sell the ELF?

Rick
I have gotten a little, minor repair practice on my LS-1 as well. I got the V1 specificly for a practice/learning plane (very glad I did). If I had had the same mishap with one of my hollow moulded ships, the outcome likely would have been much, much worse.

Yes, I still have the ELF. If I had been willing to ship it at the time, I'm sure it would be gone. Simply too busy to put any time into anything lately.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
I just ordered a quart of West 105 laminating epoxy with a 206 slow hardener to begin the repair. I know there is some delam on the wing and the wing mount is also loose, so I have some work ahead of me. Happy I have a used glider to learn on!

Rick
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:49 PM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
One more question concerning the v.4 models. I saw a LightSpeed v.3 advertised with 4 wing servos. Was that an option with v.3 that isn't available with v.4?

Rick
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:45 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts View Post
One more question concerning the v.4 models. I saw a LightSpeed v.3 advertised with 4 wing servos. Was that an option with v.3 that isn't available with v.4?

Rick
Give Aradhana a call, or shoot him an email. He would be the best person to answer your questions. I'm sure he would configure your model just about however you wanted it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,823 Posts
4 servo wings were available in a limited run with version III. After building and flying them, I decided to discontinue them.

They are good fliers. If you see one of our 4 servo-winged gliders out there, it's certainly worth considering. I think they are all RDS, too!

So why no more? In the trade off between lower tip inertia and having separate, outboard ailerons, I prefer the lower tip inertia. And building the 4 servo wings was considerably more work.

Aradhana Singh
ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:36 AM
Rick Roberts
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up Aradhana. I understand the effect of higher tip inertia only in theory. I guess the higher the mass at the tip of the wing, the more the glider will yaw oscillate, but I can't speak from experience.

Rick