SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2013, 09:28 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Joined Feb 2009
754 Posts
[QUOTE=WhalleyB0Y;25188968]And at last, whalleyb0y's maiden!

Nitroplanes Projet A-10 Republic (6 min 57 sec)
[/QU

Verry nice, and realy fast , fantastic..............
Jeanskydive is offline Find More Posts by Jeanskydive
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Republic Fairchild A-10 Warthog
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:19 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,483 Posts
The demise of the A10

I have been bungee launching EDF's since 2002 or so, probably 1200-1500 launches to date. The vast majority of those launches have been trouble free, the few problems I did experience can be attributed to dumbness on my part.

So you can imagine my surprise when I destroyed the A10, not on launch but on landing.

The grass was a bit frosty so the A10 slid much farther than expected. The down field bungee anchor, an 18" long screw driver buried in the ground so just the handle was above the grass.

The A10's starboard wing hit the screw driver handle, splintering the LE, all the way back to the spar. Not bad enough, the wing was then ripped out the the root, breaking the fuse in two parts. The rear section of the fuse flipped over, destroying one of the two rudders.

To add further insult, one of the HOERNER wing tips was ripped off as well.

Once everything stopped moving, I surveyed the damage. One look and I knew it was a total write-off.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:32 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Larry, it sounds like a tragedy and I am sorry to hear it. It truly is a very delicate kit even with all the beefing up.
If it is any consolation, NitroPlanes had the kit on sale again for $149 last week. I would have bought it if I hadn't already picked up the LX version.
Actually I am really surprised that you could even bungee launch that one considering how fragile the fuse is...
Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck View Post
I have been bungee launching EDF's since 2002 or so, probably 1200-1500 launches to date. The vast majority of those launches have been trouble free, the few problems I did experience can be attributed to dumbness on my part.

So you can imagine my surprise when I destroyed the A10, not on launch but on landing.

The grass was a bit frosty so the A10 slid much farther than expected. The down field bungee anchor, an 18" long screw driver buried in the ground so just the handle was above the grass.

The A10's starboard wing hit the screw driver handle, splintering the LE, all the way back to the spar. Not bad enough, the wing was then ripped out the the root, breaking the fuse in two parts. The rear section of the fuse flipped over, destroying one of the two rudders.

Once everything stopped moving, I surveyed the damage. One look and I knew it was a total write-off.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:56 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Joined Feb 2009
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck View Post

Hi Larry sorry for your A-10, I did the same thing with mine , slide off the strip hit a snow bank result fuselage brooken half, I reenforce the fuselage with balsa angle and recover with solartex, more solid front section of the batterie compartment, yes fragile Nitro build.A-10 is verry light build-up need bit more spruce.... Cheers
Jeanskydive is offline Find More Posts by Jeanskydive
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jeanskydive; Dec 31, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:48 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,483 Posts
Jeanskydive,

You're correct in your assesment of that A10's basic structure. It was built too lightly.

If that wreck would have been the first, I would have repaired it but I had rebuilt the A10 twice before. I salvaged all the hardware as well as the FG aft section that holds the fans. I am toying with the idea of incorporating that into a new twin biz jet of some sort.

Best to you in 2014
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:58 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,483 Posts
WhalleyB0Y,

Thanks for the commiseration.

When I bought mine, Nitro had it on sale for $119 plus shipping. But after my futile experience with NP to make good on the wing damage (shipping damage?) I would not purchase from them again.

I did have to add some reinforcement to the fuse that allowed for bungee launching; otherwise, the hook would have just been ripped out.

All in all, a nice ARF - even if it was basically weak. But what was a nice ARF like that doing in a place like Nitro Planes?

Best in 2014