Joined Feb 2005
3 Posts
Mine came with a wench. Your did not, huh? I fixed the post. Thanks. :-P
fordm2003 is offline Find More Posts by fordm2003
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:15 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Anyone out there in sailboat land have a picture of the insides of the Westward 18. I picked one up at a garage sale and need to reinstall the receiver and batteries and it seems there isn't enough room. I've built many sailboats but this one puzzles me. Thanks for your help.
Hotfire is offline Find More Posts by Hotfire
Old Jul 06, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Westward 18

Anyone out there in sailboat land have a picture of the insides of the Westward 18. I picked one up at a garage sale and need to reinstall the receiver and batteries and it seems there isn't enough room. I've built many sailboats but this one puzzles me. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:14 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
Here you go.
HunnerBunner is offline Find More Posts by HunnerBunner
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Westward pix

Thanks for the pix. Wasn't sure where to put the receiver. This helps a lot.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Feb 2005
3 Posts
Receiver position

My boat came with the receiver loose in the boat. I have not added a battery switch and so I have left it "floating" on the battery case and under the jib sheet line. This has worked out well as I can easily take the receiver out to easy disconnect the battery from it.

Tucking it on the side, as in the picture, may expose the receiver to water in the boat, especially when heeled. Just a thought.
fordm2003 is offline Find More Posts by fordm2003
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
I recently bought one of these. It sails fine for a small boat but wind strength can be an issue. Anything 10 and under is just fine, 20 is out of the question.

I raced full sized boats for several decades and have been flying RC planes and helis but just started getting into these RC sailboats. It's a pleasure and very relaxing compared to flying.

Mine required some rework on the sail rigging. The hull is not fibreglass - it's made of ABS and coated with what appears like gelcoat that can chip off.

Even though i've been taping the hatch on to prevent water intrusion, it still gets wet inside. Not sure where the water enters yet.

This is very transportable and that's why I bought it. For racing I intend to get involved with the 1 metre class, probably a soling unless anyone has a better suggestion.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:04 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
Hi Guys,

New offering from Pro Boat was just announced. It's called the Westward 18, and it's an 18", I guess "Ultra-Micro" sized sailboat. ...

Here are the specs:

Westward 18 Sailboat RTR

Specs
Length: 18 1/8 in (460mm)
Beam: 4 3/8 in (111mm)
Mast Height: 22 3/4 in (578mm)
Radio: Spektrum 2.4Ghz 2-stick Transmitter(DX2M)/ Spektrum MR200 Receiver
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Hull Type: Deep-V
Sail Material: Rip-stop nylon
Sail Area (Main): 66 in (1676mm)
Sail Area (Jib): 45.75 in (1162mm)
Sail Area (Overall): 111.73 in (2838mm)
Minimum Age Recommendation: 14 years
Are the sails on these reasonable quality? Do they keep their shape after they get wet?

I'm still looking for a set of sails for my B Square aka Hobby Engine or Graupner University Club Yacht & my Sea Lite - the Sea Lite is almost identical to the B Square except for simple bang bang controls, and the colour scheme. The stock sails on both are a little too big, and got bigger when they got wet, so they're now next to useless.

My boats are a little longer than the Westward 18 (515mm / 20 1/4" long and 120mm / 4 3/4" beam), but the sails aren't all that much bigger. I'd rather have sails that are smaller than too big and baggy.

It ought to have a main sail with about a 23" luff (which is also the height) and about an 8" foot. The mast is in two sections so it's easy to trim it down, plus they're not stiff enough so the whole thing might get replaced at some point.

The official figures for the W18 main sail are Luff: 20-5/8 inch, Foot: 7-1/2 inch, Leech: 27 inch, which seems close enough. They don't give measurements for the jib but the proportions look close enough.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Last edited by Andy2No; Jul 27, 2014 at 07:09 AM.