HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Make sure you have the 4mm up on elevator as default and try flight with battery same position. If it's still nose heavy then move battery back to almost touch the receiver...that's where mine is. My battery is a little longer and heavier than yours though.

Nice job flying...got it back in one piece.

One bit of advice for landing is to alway try to touch the runway right in front of you. It will help you not to have such a roll out. If need to do so, just stand further to your right (in this video) so you can keep it closer. This plane comes in fast so I have had many landings that have been long too!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Think I got the right CG and even flew it with a 3000mah on windy day!

Hi guys,
I'm back with some update after a weekend of flying.
Like I said before the winds were gonna increase drastically for the weekend and this whole week, but I was feeling so uncomfortable with having it flown only once on Thursday and didn't have the chance to try the other recommendations you gave. I couldn't resist anymore so I headed up to my flying location on Saturday and to the flying club on Sunday.

Saturday: Winds were around 20mph with gusts of 24mph at 4pm. Set the 2700mah 25c battery a little bit further in than last time and put 4mm on the elevators. Took off with DR off on 100%(to windy!) and on a save altitude turned it on to 50%. One thing I noticed, I didn't had to fight with the elevator stick this time to keep the head of this bird up so I guess I've found the right CG. With full throttle upwind it slightly gained altitude(what I think is normal) but with downwind and mostly of the time 50 to 40% throttle it has the tendency to climb very fast at a point that I some times has to give it some down elevator. I think that has to do with the strong winds of that day. I was actually from take-off fighting to counterattack the unpredictable reactions of the plane caused by that turbulent wind. But I felt more confident in the way it was flying that day with that CG setting and was not so nervous so I could bring it down after full 6 minutes of flight in one piece with all that wind! It was more like a spot landing but nothing that this A10 couldn't withstand. Battery measured 11.33V
After that I decided to put a 3000mah 20c that I have into this plane at a point which based on the first battery I thought it was right for the best CG. Took off and had a similar flight/struggle with the wind and took it down after full 6 minutes. Had a less gentle landing but no wheel damage at all. Battery measured 11.40V. Both flight I did with 50% to full throttle.

Sunday:
Sunday is our official day at the Rc Flying Club here were I'm quiet new.
This day the wind was even worse. About 24mph with 28mph gusts. It was/is still very WINDY!!!! I doubt a little when I saw those heavier nitro glow planes wrestling with the wind that day but after a while i decided to put this bird in the skies no matter what! I flew it with the 2700mah battery, well it jumped off the runway in to the skies and from that moment it has been a struggle against that wind to manage that plane. when it was on a save altitude I switch the DR on to 50% only to realize that I did not have enough control on the plane like the wind had!! So I rapidly switched it off back to 100% throw and was able to manage the plane around for believe it or not 9 minutes!!!! A club member timed it for me and was forgotten to tell me that my 6 minutes was over. The landing was another challenge. I had to fight bit by bit with that furious wind in order to get that bird again on the run way. It was more like spot landing again. When the plane was at an altitude about 2 feet, a wind gust smashed it down to the runway and it fell standing on his wheels! with no damage at all.
Battery measured 10.98V. I have to say that I flew it most of the time from 30%-40% throttle downwind and 70-85% upwind and rarely 100% upwind.
What a oddesy of a weekend!!!!!! But we (my A10 and I) survived it to tell.
Will put some videos later of Saturday's flight which were filmed by a spectator using his phone.

Ben
tydfidelis is offline Find More Posts by tydfidelis
Last edited by tydfidelis; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Congrats...and what were you thinkiing

Over 20 mph and it's grounded. Sounds like the CG and 4mm up elevator were the keys to getting you all lined out.

Enjoy...I know I did.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Congrats...and what were you thinkiing

Over 20 mph and it's grounded. Sounds like the CG and 4mm up elevator were the keys to getting you all lined out.

Enjoy...I know I did.

Russ
Yes Russ,

I think that I found it. Only has to wait for a more calm day to fine tune it. I'm very happy to be able to fly it with a 3000mAh battery which can give me depending on the flight more than 7 full minutes. Over 20 mph is what we usually get here daily as you could see from the wind chart. I think yes it's very wise to ground it over 20mph but sometimes weeks go by like this and that makes me really sick that makes me take decisions like last weekend. Anyway heres the first video with the 2700mAh battery. Video quality is not that best(filmed with a phone). You can see how I was struggling with the wind....

Ben

fligh2700 (6 min 49 sec)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Nice...I have a Nano-Tech 3S-3300 30C that fits perfectly too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Nice...I have a Nano-Tech 3S-3300 30C that fits perfectly too.
I think you should give it a try Russ! These planes can handle pretty much more than we think. Mine flew good in all that wind with the Blue lipo 3s-3000 20C. set the right CG and it will be fine. Think you can get 2 more air minutes out of it!
Will also put the flight video with the 3000mAh battery.
Ben
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Flying with the 3s-3000mAh battery on windy day

Here's the video of last Saturday's flight with the heavier 3000mAh 20C battery.
Landing was kind of hard( too windy!) but with no damage at all.

Ben.

Dynam A10 Flight with 3s-3000mAH 20C battery (6 min 28 sec)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Air Speed

Nice fast takeoff...mine is not quite that fast on takeoff. I could hear the wind through those hills.

You need to carry more air speed on your landings. You were lucky that there was no damage the way it fell out of the air due to lack of forward speed. The windier it is, the more air speed you need to penetrate it. Come in fast and low and then cut power and flare at the end. You have PLENTY of space to land coming in fast and low.

Other than that it looked like a good flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,310 Posts
Quote:
Nice fast takeoff...mine is not quite that fast on takeoff. I could hear the wind through those hills.

You need to carry more air speed on your landings. You were lucky that there was no damage the way it fell out of the air due to lack of forward speed. The windier it is, the more air speed you need to penetrate it. Come in fast and low and then cut power and flare at the end. You have PLENTY of space to land coming in fast and low.

Agreed! Jets (and this one is no different) need to keep the fan spinning a bit when coming in for a landing. If you run into trouble, an EDF can't produce thrust fast enough to get you out of trouble. I don't cut my throttle entirely till the plane almost touches the ground.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,378 Posts
GENTS: How would a guy do with say a nano-tech 2200mah 45-90c batt that weighs 193 g's, if the batt's front edge placed at the forth rib inside the batt compartment to achieve the 75mm c of g.Is 75mm from the leading edge at the root the proper c of g location? If i'm in the ball park would a guy still need the 4mm of up elevator? Thank you so much gents for your input!
kevin whitesell is online now Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin whitesell; Aug 30, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,972 Posts
Try it..!! Trim it.. Tell us of it!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Try it..!! Trim it.. Tell us of it!
Well sir to be honest i don't even own the dynam a-10 yet( in the spring i'll buy one) it's just a couple of summers ago i bought a hobby lobby f-86 and i thought i had the c of g right but the little jet flew like a hot mess.The year before that i had the gp l-39 and it flew brilliantly. C OF G is just critical-so i thought i would ask-thanks
kevin whitesell is online now Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:

Yes Russ,
Got to practice that more often and try to line it up in front of me. Think I will be flying this weekend again, winds around 16-18mph ahead!!

Ben
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Well sir to be honest i don't even own the dynam a-10 yet( in the spring i'll buy one) it's just a couple of summers ago i bought a hobby lobby f-86 and i thought i had the c of g right but the little jet flew like a hot mess.The year before that i had the gp l-39 and it flew brilliantly. C OF G is just critical-so i thought i would ask-thanks
Read of a curiosity that seemed well within limits... Was thinking to imply the courage of experimentation..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
I am ordering the cheap A-10 from Nitro. What inrunners / outrunners will be " for normal " 30 to 45 degree climb ups ? I convert all planes to no LG & pull pull fishing line controls, to get easy COGs.
That worked out well for the GWS A-10s.......
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2