SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2015, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, Gamlingay
Joined Jul 2002
607 Posts
Discussion
Opale Oxy 05 flying guide

Hi,
Just returned home to fit a rx to an Opale Oxy 05 I purchased from ebay.
It came with a 3s 1000 lipo.
I have read the backpack xxs manual online but was wondering if there was a definitive flying setup or guide.
Clearly there is room to move the lipo to achieve a hang angle of the backpack.
does anyone have such a guide or able to offer advice to assist on the first and subsequent flights.
possibility of test flying indoors this wednesday but I want to avoid any damage( by hitting walls!!!) if necessary.
Many thanks. Bill
gyronuts is offline Find More Posts by gyronuts
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2015, 04:44 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
766 Posts
Hi Gyronuts!

I don't know of any guide available (try google or maybe a search on youtube), but if you follow the manual, you'll obtain a correct setup.
Most important is to trim the brakes lines, the method described in the manual works very well.

How are you planning to set up your radio? (what radio will you use, if I may ask?) Ideally you'd like to have both arms/servo-horns raised, unless "aileron" is applied to only make the arm to the inside of the turn move downwards, slowing down one side of the wing, or unless "elevator" is applied to make both arms move downwards, slowing down the entire foil.
If this result is not obtainable with a given transmitter, a delta- or V-tail -mix can be used instead.

I'd clearly suggest you make your first flights with the Oxy 0,5 indoor, since it doesn't handle wind very well.

For you first flights, I'd suggest you just try to make it go straight forward, softly descending with a bit of throttle, instead of trying to launch it directly for a climb.
Once in the air try to get a feeling of how much throttle is needed in minimum for level flight and for how the paramotor reacts to its brakes.
Concentrate on turning first, braking both sides of the foil (and effectively slowing the foil down, they are not elevators, but brakes ;-) ) might not serve you much while getting acquainted with the paramotor.
With paramotors, you can not just power unconditionally into a climb like you can, i.e., with many planes. If you apply too much throttle, you'll likely end up pushing the backpack forward while the foil will not be able to follow, it's attack-angle will gradually become higher and a stall will occur.
If you have difficulties regulating the throttle for level flight, flying in big turns will even out some of the sensitivity. Executing a turn will also save you from many stalls.
You do not have to worry too much about damaging it, it's extremely robust.
The parafoil itself stands up to almost any kind of beating without tearing... and there's nothing to brake.
The backpack is amazingly resistant, it's build like a tank and as long as you remember to cut the throttle before impact in a crash, you'll only be able to bend the rear PVC-boom (easily bend back for awhile) and eventually, after a lot of serious abuse, either damage/brake the servo-horn (they are protruding on the side of the backpack and can hit the ground in a bad crash. It's the servo-horn belonging to the servo that will brake, not the little "arm" from Opale) or the part of the servos plastic-casing where it's screwed to the backpack.
I've put mine through hell more than once: About ten collisions with planes (one propeller succeeded in making a small tear, the only one, that was easily repaired with a repair-kit for kites), many pilot-induced crashes (succeeding in collapsing the wing resulting in great falls or letting the backpack fall into the foil when inverted and many more stupidities...), scraping against walls or ceilings are not even worth being mentioned here, I've done it at least once in all imaginable ways :-) ... all this and I've only managed to bend the PVC-ring, get one small tear in the foil and brake a few servo-horns or casings.
Note that I've been extremely harsh with mine, I doubt you'll brake anything soon, even if trying.

Hope it helps a bit, good luck and happy landings :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Mar 08, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2002
607 Posts
Thanks Chrizz. most informative. What battery are you using with yours?
did you mount the battery at the front or towards the rear?
Bill
Old Mar 09, 2015, 02:28 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
766 Posts
Hi Gyronuts!

For batteries, I'm using everything from 2s 800mah-1200mah to 3s 650mah-1000mah.
In regards to battery-placement, it varies depending on the chosen battery, always to obtain the same CG (as per the manual, resulting in a few degrees of "nose up" attitude). Typically, my batteries are placed in the front, just inside the backpacks frame.

FYI: My Oxy 0.5 (standard version, everything is from Opale) has excessive throttle available when on 3s, it will easily ascend at around quarter throttle. This makes me often choose to let other pilots have their first paramotor-flight with my Oxy, BUT on 2s. On 2s, there's more than enough power available, but still less than on 3s, which makes the throttle-management a bit easier.

Happy landings :-)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:27 AM
Joined Jul 2002
607 Posts
Hi,
which manual for C of G do you mean.? Mine came without any manual .
There is a backpack xxs build manual on line on the Opale site..is that the one you mean?
thanks.
Possible indoor fly in tomorrow night.
Bill
Old Mar 10, 2015, 05:12 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
766 Posts
Hi Gyronuts!

Yes, I'm referring to the backpacks manual available on Opales site (by memory the backpacks CG is on page 5 or 6 and brakeline-adjustment is on the following page).
Take time to adjust the brakelines calmly before your first flight.
Have you sortet out your radio-setup (if you have a Dx8, I can send you my setup-files?)?

Just for fun: It wasn't FPV, but I've done that too and the impressions the pilot gets while flying, are pretty similar (though while FPV-ing, I tend to fly much more calmly):
Opale-paramodel Oxy 0 5 - SES indoor 23 02 14 (2 min 7 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Mar 10, 2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:25 AM
Joined Jul 2002
607 Posts
Hi,
Love the video, I have one of the new DX6 so should b e compatible with dX8 data. BIll
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:25 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
766 Posts
Hmmmm... Dx6, the newer V2-version...
I have no idea if you can transfer a model from a Dx8 directly to it? I guess that if not, it might be possible to convert the output from the Dx8 into something understandable by a Dx6 V2?
If you're interested, try to find out (I'll make a quick search later, if I get the time).
Not knowing the new Dx6 V2 myself, I don't know how capable it is and if it has the sufficient capabilities to obtain the best setup for paragliding (avoiding a simple Delta- or V-tail -mix, which will work fine, but not be optimal). Does the Dx6 V2 have adjustable endpoints?
Tell me if interested and I'll upload the Dx8's file or, in worst case, help you through tricking the Dx6 V2 into doing the job (if it is possible).

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:48 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
766 Posts
Oh! I had forgotten about this... Here's a link to a previous post in another thread, where I already had posted the Dx8's files: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1837810&page=5
Note that it is the same setup, but there are two versions: in "Acro" and in "Sail". There are several reasons to both existing, but the two main differences are, that "Sail" lets you use a few more predetermined mixes and allows you to select all three positions of switches to use with mixes (not the case in "Acro", stupidly)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:40 PM
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyronuts View Post
Hi,
I have read the backpack xxs manual online but was wondering if there was a definitive flying setup or guide.
does anyone have such a guide or able to offer advice to assist on the first and subsequent flights.
possibility of test flying indoors this wednesday but I want to avoid any damage( by hitting walls!!!) if necessary.
Many thanks. Bill
I'm not associated with any vendor, but I find many useful tips in these sites:
http://www.rc-paramotor.co.uk/rcmodelsetup
http://www.para-rc.de/category/paraglider-technik-tips/

You might also need to check the manual of Hacker's RC Free.
Very detailed guide about setup and launch (with photos).
hst is offline Find More Posts by hst
Old Mar 20, 2015, 09:19 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Antwerpen
Joined Jan 2015
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyronuts View Post
Hi,
Many thanks. Bill
http://www.opale-paramodels.com/medi...l-BPXXS-FR.pdf

Just keep the backpack horizontal for first flights
BadLuckNico is offline Find More Posts by BadLuckNico