HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
GPS antenna cover sources

Thanks Sherman! Very interesting stuff! I especially like the aluminum dish in the second link. I had not thought of that option. So I take it this means a round ground plane would work just fine?
Zoandar is online now Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Today, 05:34 AM
Joined Sep 2013
483 Posts

What I find interesting is that these items aren't made out of copper, which seems to provide much more efficient rf noise blocking.

Is it just at some point a specific thickness of the aluminum becomes as effective?
remltr is offline Find More Posts by remltr
Old Today, 10:42 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remltr View Post
What I find interesting is that these items aren't made out of copper, which seems to provide much more efficient rf noise blocking.

Is it just at some point a specific thickness of the aluminum becomes as effective?
Although copper is a better electrical conductor than aluminum, I am inclined to think the thickness is not an issue. One reason I say this is because the little 'RF can' underneath these active patch antennas is not copper. But since it solders, it probably is some alloy of tin, and it is very thin. Another reason is my recollection of all the RF cans that are found in the older vacuum tube type circuits, covering coils and such. They are very thin material, but do the job of blocking RF, and if memory serves they are aluminum. Also, within many shielded cables, there is a layer of very thin aluminum foil, also doing the same job.

Perhaps Sherman can verify, but I think that any kind of metal enclosure blocks RF. If not, tin foil hats would not be effective.
Last edited by Zoandar; Today at 04:34 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect reference to Kapton tape.
Old Today, 11:00 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,085 Posts
Just finished modifications on mine this morning.
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Today, 11:47 AM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
1,047 Posts
Kapton tape is a high temperature insulating tape with high temperature silicone adhesive. It is transparent to RF and magnetic fields. It's only purpose is to prevent electrical contact between the ESC and the GPS antenna.
ST_Bob is online now Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Today, 03:48 PM
Serbia, Central Serbia, Belgrade
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
I flew today in stability mode. ( 350qx2 + dx6i ). I have a few questions.
1. I have to move throttle stick near a half his range to start lifting. Is that normal ?
In the safe mode quad start to lifting as soon as move throttle stick up.
2. Before lifting the quad shakes for a while . Does that means I have to check propeller balance?

Thx.
Bora61 is offline Find More Posts by Bora61
Old Today, 04:30 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Wow! This is one of the best looking 350 QXs I have ever seen! Can you tell us about that canopy?

Have you ever played Half Life 2? If so, then you'll recognize what I'm about to say, that the instant I saw these photos those really nasty neurotoxin-venomed black spider creatures immediately came to mind.
Old Today, 04:31 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob View Post
Kapton tape is a high temperature insulating tape with high temperature silicone adhesive. It is transparent to RF and magnetic fields. It's only purpose is to prevent electrical contact between the ESC and the GPS antenna.
OH, OK. Thanks for the info! I thought it had something to do with shielding.
Old Today, 04:33 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora61 View Post
I flew today in stability mode. ( 350qx2 + dx6i ). I have a few questions.
1. I have to move throttle stick near a half his range to start lifting. Is that normal ?
In the safe mode quad start to lifting as soon as move throttle stick up.
2. Before lifting the quad shakes for a while . Does that means I have to check propeller balance?

Thx.
If you're using Firmware 3, then yes, that would be normal. Even in Firmware 2 AP mode will do the shaking thing on liftoff and requires near full throttle to get off the ground.
Old Today, 04:50 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
63mm copper foil ground plane

After testing with an 80mm ground plane I made of corrugated paper cardboard faced with copper tape, and getting very impressive results INDOORS, (it was too cold to be doing this outside) I found that if I reduce the size to 63mm I had something that would work as a cover.

So, here is my 63mm copper foil faced ground plane, applied to the QX3 raised antenna pod, using a Taoglas active patch antenna with a 6 inch U.FL extension cable.

My first two tests outdoors just now, I got a lock in 22 seconds, then again in 12 seconds. Each test was from both DX6 and 350 QX FW3 powered off. I powered on the DX6, and when its orange logo lights are lit, I powered on the QX and started watching my watch and the flashing green LED in Smart Mode, until it locked GPS.

Over the past few days of indoor testing these ground planes, I have found that now and then it will take several minutes to lock (this was all INDOORS). Then after that I would often see dozens of cycles of fast locks (12-40 seconds) before the next long wait.

From what I have read about GPS receivers, I believe when this long wait to lock happens in the same conditions you normally got a fast lock, it is re-downloading catalog and ephemeris data. I also read that if a GPS receiver doesn't like the quality of the data it is downloading, it will dump it and start over again. Sometimes I have seen the triple-beep typically made by the QX when it starts to acquire a GPS lock get repeated a few, or many, times during the wait to lock, especially indoors. This may be an indication of the "starting over" to download the data?
Old Today, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
767 Posts
Quote:
Looks really good. No problem with orientation while flying during during the day? What props are those? Bolt straight on or need adapters? Prefer more than 2 blades as definitely smoother (if good quality blades)
deonjams is online now Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Today, 06:11 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post
Wow! This is one of the best looking 350 QXs I have ever seen! Can you tell us about that canopy?

Have you ever played Half Life 2? If so, then you'll recognize what I'm about to say, that the instant I saw these photos those really nasty neurotoxin-venomed black spider creatures immediately came to mind.
Thank you! Yes, I know exactly what you're referring to in Half-Life 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
Looks really good. No problem with orientation while flying during during the day? What props are those? Bolt straight on or need adapters? Prefer more than 2 blades as definitely smoother (if good quality blades)
No problems with orientation thus far. The props are Xtreme Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Tri Blades. I like them. They are bolt straight on, no mods or adapters needed.

http://helipartsdirect.com/350-qx/xt...350qx03-k.html
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Today, 06:25 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Thank you! Yes, I know exactly what you're referring to in Half-Life 2!
Man I hate those things!

Hopefully you've not had any issue with motors getting hot from the tri-props. I looked into that when I first got the 350QX, but I read about several folks having problems so I didn't do it. But I don't think the early tri-prop adopters had any made specifically for the QX, and adapters were needed. So maybe that was more of the cause than just having the extra blade.