HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2015, 03:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Just a shame I didn't get it on video. I did manage to shoot some Fox footage though
FMS/HobbyKing 2.32m Fox glider at Westbury White Horse 14Feb15 (4 min 24 sec)

I would have loved to have given the SP2 a longer flight and looking forward to wringing it out once my local slopes have some decent lift. It's an hours drive away to Westbury White Horse so really need to be 20 mph to make it worth the drive as all my models should perform in that kind of blow coming up a 350' slope.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:28 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Another crash a few weeks ago saw me needing to repair a crack almost all the way around the fuse just aft of the rear wing mount. Out with the epoxy and fiberglass and she's all repaired.
Took her out Friday for a flight at Bratton Camp which is just along the ridge from Westbury White Horse.
Cold and misty with northerly 10-15 mph winds should mean that it won't get blown back and crash like last time. Got her away nice and clean and enjoyed a few minutes flying before another glitch saw her continue to roll irregardless of what I did at the sticks In she went lower down on the slope and I feared the worse. Luckily, the wings separated as they should and everything is intact. Just need a front nylon bolt as the head sheared off. I now suspect the small esc is the culprit so have replaced with a small bec.
Here's the video
Speedy Pro 2 glider at Bratton Camp: flight and crash (1 min 36 sec)

Andy
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
595 Posts
Lucky boy.. it's amazing how strong those Speedo's are.
Hopefully the bec will fix the issue and you can get onto the important stuff of flying the darn thing.
Gwalch is offline Find More Posts by Gwalch
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:18 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Success at last

Managed four good flight yesterday in 10-17 mph winds. The first couple were a bit nervous with the model feeling laterally over sensitive. I dialled in some more aileron expo which helped a little but things smoothed out after I added 5g then another 10g of nose weight.
I'd neglected to re-balance the model following my repair which was just in front of the trailing edge and therefore behind the c of g. She didn't seem over pitchy with the rearward c of g but she certainly wasn't nice to fly until I added the nose weight.
Check out the video at 1 min in. Perhaps I was approaching the stall, certainly wallowing around and dropping wings might indicate this. But pushing the nose down didn't really get her under control and I was glad I got her down in one piece
R2 Hobbies Speedy Pro 2 glider, flight compilation (3 min 44 sec)

Comments and analysis by experienced owners would be appreciated
By the way, is the HK Wraith just a V tail version of the SP2?
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...00mm_ARF_.html
Andy
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:29 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,738 Posts
Speedo Lawn dart

Unbreakable Speedo (1 min 7 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:10 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Nice lawn dart but surprised the wing didn't separate. Have you amended the wing retention method?
Andy
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:12 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,738 Posts
Yes, it has separated before. I think the ground was soft and id used diamond tape to fix it that time, so had a bit more strength. Cheapo sellotape does separate.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:58 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
What's the wind speed range of the SP2? I reckon 10 mph at the lower end but how much of a blow can she cope with?
Took it with me today but figured she would just be blown back behind me. Winds were measured at 30 mph gusting to 44 mph
Here's my Zagi ballasted with 120g of velcroed on lead weight.It was the easiest of my models to get away (SAS Aztec,Chris Fosse Middle Phase,Wingbat) but tossed back like tumble weed if I let it get behind me.
Zagi Flying Wing in big air and crash (1 min 37 sec)

Andy
Old Mar 26, 2015, 04:59 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
224 Posts
Here's a video of one flying in mid to high 40s with 15 oz of ballast!

Super windy day at Coyote Hills. (1 min 22 sec)

I've flown mine in 40+ with a few oz of ballast. Controlled flight, but more work than fun. Put the nose down and it will penetrate though. I'd say it's still fun at 25.

- Andy
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:09 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Thanks Andy. Looks like "Lead Sled" conditions to me. I've got a fully moulded Flying Fish that I bought as part of a Ebay job lot that cost me 1 by the time I sold a MPX RX that was hidden under the Zagi's packing tape Should be able to handle that sort of blow provided I can still stand up and see anything through my streaming eyes.
Andy
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:35 AM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
395 Posts
dylancoffin, is that you flying the miniSR?
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:35 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteam View Post
dylancoffin, is that you flying the miniSR?
Not me. I've never flown at Coyote Hills, but it looks great.

Andy, for streaming eyes I've seen lots of pilots wear ski goggles!
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:45 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,734 Posts
Not a bad idea if I can find some that will fit over my glasses. Some over sized clip on wrap round eye protectors would be even better if I can source some. I did try goggles years ago when I used to trail ride but fed up with constantly fogging up so ended up with an MX helmet with flip up visor. Hum, a crash helmet would work if you don't looking a complete dork
Andy
p.s. these might do the trick
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Safety-Gla...item1e7413d6bb
Last edited by headlessagain; Mar 27, 2015 at 02:50 PM.