New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
296 Posts
I have a slight gap (.5mm) between the wing and fuse where I can see daylight but the wing holds firm so I'll leave it as is. I adjusted the strut length with wings installed so that I could insert the pins without having to push/pull the struts to get the holes to align.
freddy_fo is online now Find More Posts by freddy_fo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by DavidN
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
3,026 Posts
On other Horizon planes I notice tightness at the front so the rear is difficult to synch up. If this is the problem, a round file to remove a little from the bottom of the holes where the dowels fit the fuselage usually works.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 25, 2015, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by westsideav
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
343 Posts
I am just finishing up my Pawnee build. I have to say this is the first ARF I did not have to spend hrs ironing out wrinkles. Everything has been a very nice tight fit.

I love the room in the fuse. I am using the 46 with the 60 amp E-flite for power 13x8 prop. I may install a Mr Sound Lycoming module, there is plenty of room. I will see where the CG ends up.

The only problem was easily fixed, there was a broken part in the right wing, one of the uprights in the rib just outside the flap pocket so it was easy to sister it up with a piece of balsa and 15min epoxy.

Sunday may be maiden time, I only have to install a pilot and finish elevator/rudder servo installs and program all the correct throws.
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav
Old Apr 25, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by lesbaron
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
I have 2 Piper Pawnees. You may want to put a 14X7 prop on. Do a watt meter check between the 2 props I believe the 14X7 will give you more watts. Also the plane tends to be nose heavy. Check your C.G. You will probably have to move the battery to as rear position as possible. Good luck with your maiden, Les
lesbaron is offline Find More Posts by lesbaron
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:36 PM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
343 Posts
Well the maiden went really well. It was a rainy, sunny, gusty, frosty, warm day. I was at the field for 2 hrs before I rigged up the Pawnee. And I waited another hour before I flew her. This is spring in NH.

I got Joe to shoot a video of the event, Jeff left he thought I the WX was so bad raining and gusty I was not going to do the make flight. He also had a prior commitment. I think Joe did a great job shooting my short maiden flight.

I love this plane. It is a real scale flyer. I never used more than 60% power on the maiden. I was flying on 4S 3000 35C. Way more power than necessary, more power than scale really just on the H9/HH recommended power system. I just bought the 13x8 prop I had the P46 and 60 amp ESC.

My observation is, why would anyone want more power! This is a scale replica of an air tractor. I fly some 3D and that is different. But for scale I think this is actually a bit over powered. That is not a problem, it is nice to be able to pull out of troble, but that is not scale.

I put the CG right at 3" and I like it. Later flights I pulled some loops easy, and even a couple rolls a bit shaky, put the nose up first, but in at the real plane you would never do that.

Did I mention I love this plane already and it is about the easiest to fly plane I own. It will come to the field often. I have over flying 40 models so this is a compliment.

Anyway enjoy the video, and please bear in mind all the views are just mine, not a comment on others opinions. I just think scale is scale and 3D is 3D, gliders are great and so are hot liners. I love WW1 scale planes as well those are generally hard to fly in wind.

PawneeMaidenEtc (3 min 5 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 07:05 PM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_B View Post
Just FYI on power systems. Im using a Power 60 470kv, Talon 90 ESC, a TP 6S 55C 5K battery with a Xoar 16x8 prop = 1556 watts, 69-70Amps on a fully charged battery wot. Imo the top 1/4 of the powerband isnt being utilized with this set up. I did set my endpoints correctly with the ESC. The motor gets a little louder on the top 1/4 of the stick, but the plane doesnt go any faster. Figure its an airframe/ prop limitation thing.

Good luck getting your power system dialed in and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Brian
Interesting I am using the stock P46 and 60Amp ESC with the recommended 13x8 prop. And I found on my first day of flying the Pawnee that if I add more than 60 % power it does not climb faster or fly faster.

I would say it is just a draggy design, meant to carry a lot of weight as an air tractor, it was never meant to be a stellar climber or speed demon, neither as scale or model.

I bet when I use heavier batteries and add the sound system and maybe a dusting system I may have to add more throttle. It will also be interesting to see how it tows gliders, though that is not in my Pawnees near future, I have a beater Carbon Z Cub for that. At this point I feel the stock system is if anything a bit too powerful to emulate scale.

Just my nickel.

I also found the best way to land with or without flaps is to come in with 20-30% power right down to the grass then cut power as you touch down, if you chop power too early the Pawnee will drop fast. I think this is because of the very draggy airframe. The whetted profile is huge especially with the big canopy sticking up, very un aerodynamic, but practical for a crop duster that flies slow and needs good visibility.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by handyman 220
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideav View Post
Well the maiden went really well. It was a rainy, sunny, gusty, frosty, warm day. I was at the field for 2 hrs before I rigged up the Pawnee. And I waited another hour before I flew her. This is spring in NH.

I got Joe to shoot a video of the event, Jeff left he thought I the WX was so bad raining and gusty I was not going to do the make flight. He also had a prior commitment. I think Joe did a great job shooting my short maiden flight.

I love this plane. It is a real scale flyer. I never used more than 60% power on the maiden. I was flying on 4S 3000 35C. Way more power than necessary, more power than scale really just on the H9/HH recommended power system. I just bought the 13x8 prop I had the P46 and 60 amp ESC.

My observation is, why would anyone want more power! This is a scale replica of an air tractor. I fly some 3D and that is different. But for scale I think this is actually a bit over powered. That is not a problem, it is nice to be able to pull out of troble, but that is not scale.

I put the CG right at 3" and I like it. Later flights I pulled some loops easy, and even a couple rolls a bit shaky, put the nose up first, but in at the real plane you would never do that.

Did I mention I love this plane already and it is about the easiest to fly plane I own. It will come to the field often. I have over flying 40 models so this is a compliment.

Anyway enjoy the video, and please bear in mind all the views are just mine, not a comment on others opinions. I just think scale is scale and 3D is 3D, gliders are great and so are hot liners. I love WW1 scale planes as well those are generally hard to fly in wind.

https://vimeo.com/126066429
I'm really glad to hear the stock set up works well. That is what I was planning on using in mine. I am an old time nitro flyer that is really getting to like the simplicity of electric flying.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Apr 26, 2015, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Bad_B
United States, CA, Upland
Joined Feb 2008
33 Posts
Im glad you had a good maiden flight and you are enjoying the plane with the Power 46.

At some point i want to get a tow release installed in my Pawnee as well. I also have a CZC running the same power system and that has been my go to aero tow tug for our club PZ KA8s. The CZC also can utilize most of the power from the Power 60 470kv motor, esp with end points and travel adjusted to get max throws out of the large control surfaces on high rates for 3D. I tend to fly my planes around the same batteries, so the Pawnee got more motor than she needs or can utilize. I always try to look to the future and i plan on recycling the Pawnee power system in another large plane if anything should happen. I also tend to fly the Pawnee scale at about 1/4 throttle, but i do enjoy a low pass, pull vertical then kick the rudder over for a hammerhead and pretend I'm making spraying passes on our field.

The Pawnee is a head turner and guests at the field always come over to ask about it. Several club members also continually comment on how nice and scale she looks esp when flown that way.

Cheers,
Brian
Bad_B is offline Find More Posts by Bad_B
Old May 05, 2015, 03:02 PM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
343 Posts
As I posted earlier I find the Pawnee an delightful easy to fly plane with really mild manners.

I have now found one instance that could prove to be a nasty trait. I was practicing simulated low passes with stall turns at a low altitude. And I was very lucky to get away with my first one, I was up high or at least I thought so (about 100') and I did a stall turn including quite a bit of throttle to help the rudder kick it over. Well I really stalled and it took about 90' to recover to level from the resulting accelerated stall. Only a 10' margin, very high pucker factor.

So I went up a couple hundred feet and repeated the move, same result each time. So I am modifying this move for the Pawnee, I think I was used to the extreme power of the CarbonZ Cub and my Yak54 huge control throws making this move. It just takes a lot more altitude to recover. And it also looks much more graceful if it is a bigger move, not so abrupt at the top.

Other than that one tendency for an accelerated stall, I still find this plane a pure joy to fly. Just think another 10' or so and I would have had a pile of toothpicks and wrapping paper. Be smart play up high first.
Old May 05, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by lesbaron
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
You are right on the stall turns. If you are trying to recreate a crop dusting maneuver with a quick turn at each end of the field watch out. It's worst when you turn into the wind. After the turn the wind will try to push the plane down. Lost one plane because of this. Altitude is your friend, Les
lesbaron is offline Find More Posts by lesbaron
Old May 05, 2015, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,707 Posts
I've had one similar high pucker factor event horsing around at low level where in a slow and aggressive roll off the top I managed to get it to depart controlled flight. But the recovery was very quick and lesson learned. Absolutely no criticism of the model, actually more admiration that I got that far and then got away with it as I was playing with it like it was a Mini Ultra Stick.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco