HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2013
23 Posts
Hepcat finished and balanced, ready for glide flights and maiden.

Kept the color scheme very basic having only white tissue available at the time. Thought about airbrushing some detail, but the current finish has now grown on me so I'm just going to fly it.
MaXziim is offline Find More Posts by MaXziim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,130 Posts
Looks great - good job. I like the look of unpainted tissue and dope, and don't usually add much colour to my tissue covered planes either.

Have fun flying her
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:33 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,506 Posts
I agree with DB.
In the late forties, planes weren't the bright colors that we see now.
In the UK, they were mostly white and black, until Bill Dean invented Keil Kraft orange, on the first Slicker.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:56 AM
Isaiah 40:31
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
689 Posts
sweet!
rc capo is offline Find More Posts by rc capo
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:35 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
970 Posts
Very pretty!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:14 PM
Joined Jul 2013
23 Posts
Maiden flight of the Hepcat this morning.

Being the first old timer model I've flown I was a little nervous about how things would go.
A few test glides with the prop off resulted in a flat gentle glide with no trimming required...very satisfying after all that building!

Prop on and fuelled up I set the engine speed on the 1.3 about as slow as I could, aimed the model into the little bit of breeze and away it went.
First thing I found was even with the engine running slow the climb was very steep and I had to feather in quite a bit of elevator to prevent a stall. During the climb I left the rudder alone and allowed it to naturally circle its way up. When the motor quit I was able to get off the elevator completely and let it find its own way down. Success!

Next couple of flights the wind had come up forcing me to steer it around while under power. Spiral instability was quite quick to occur if I was heavy on the rudder which along with the increasing wind made it a little difficult to keep things where I wanted. Once back in a glide everything settled down again.

Obviously I'm really stoked the Mills has been back in the air and as a bonus, the model still in one piece!

The only thing I'd like to improve for next time is reducing the steepness of the climb under power as it just doesn't feel right to be feeding in so much elevator.
I built model as per plans with thrust line at 0deg to horizontal stab and main wing with 4deg.

Because the trim is perfect during glide with a neutral elevator I gather my only options are to change the engine thrust line?
Another thought is to maybe reduce the prop pitch and slow the flight speed down?
Any advice on this would be much appreciated of course.
Last edited by MaXziim; Jul 25, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:50 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,483 Posts
Put some down thrust into it. Washers under rear mount holes should do the trick.

FWIW that sort of model will always need some down thrust, and a little right thrust.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jul 31, 2014, 02:10 AM
Joined Jul 2013
23 Posts
Thanks Gossie, a wee bit of down thrust did the trick.
Took some pictures today in perfect flying conditions. Its a novelty being able to launch a model with one hand while taking photos with the other!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:40 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,483 Posts
Looooooooooking gooooooooood.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie