Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,159 Posts
Discussion
How many new PhDs get jobs?

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...YoJts.facebook

This may be of no interest to anyone but me, and it is just curiosity on my part. However, scroll down a ways about how many PhDs are earned by foreigners. Also, at present, the majority of all PhDs are earned by women. The percentages of women are lower, but coming up in the Science, etc. areas.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post

This may be of no interest to anyone but me, and it is just curiosity on my part. However, scroll down a ways about how many PhDs are earned by foreigners. Also, at present, the majority of all PhDs are earned by women. The percentages of women are lower, but coming up in the Science, etc. areas.
I've had two PhDs work for me... thankfully both worked out really well. My previous experiences with PhDs have been bad.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Wife's cousin is a PhD and been out of work for several years. Just got her class A CDL and started driving big rigs.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:25 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Wife's cousin is a PhD and been out of work for several years. Just got her class A CDL and started driving big rigs.
What's she got her PhD in?
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,272 Posts
Truck Drivin'
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,159 Posts
Colleague and friend left academia for personal reasons; and did a number of things before becoming a PhD long haul truck driver. So they are out there.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I've had two PhDs work for me... thankfully both worked out really well. My previous experiences with PhDs have been bad.
Was it a problem with them scalping the lawn, or did they disturb the neighbors by running the leafblowers too early in the morning ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
What's she got her PhD in?
Neurobiology and neuroscience.

She has always been a great academic but really struggled to get through trucking school.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I know one that's a DVM. He works for free and several animal shelters His parents have plenty to keep him well kept though.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,159 Posts
I have never done a powerpoint presentation. One of my last half dozen MS students did a nice job of presenting his thesis defense with powerpoint. This was around 1995. I was impressed and amazed at the presentations, by both PhDs and students, at the meetings I attended last month in New Orleans. Powerpoint or whatever, couldn't have been more sophisticated or slicker.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
Flip rrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,528 Posts
I couldn't get a job with a PHD, so I went to Devry and got several excellent jobs over 25 years. Yes, a Plain Highschool Diploma just doesn't get you far these days.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
I used to fly full-scale gliders with a guy that had 2 of them, and non-degreed me... well... I made more money than he did, by a factor of 2... Level of education and level of intelligence have hothing to do with each other...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post

Not surprising given that America's focus on education is abysmal.

Even less surprising given that women are generally better educated than men
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,159 Posts
In th early 1980s, when women first surpassed men in receiving Bachelors degrees, there was considerable stuff in the media about how a man could make a lot more money without a college degree. A man could get a good paying union shop job right out of high school, and not have four unproductive years in college. I thought at the time there was a considered effort to devalue the education women were being more successful at achieving. One still sees the argument, with possibly some truth involved, that the degrees earned by women are often less valuable than the degrees earned by men.