HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,695 Posts
Very good point YJ. I only use 1 on my MXS but I also took a dremel drum sander to all 3 holes and enlarged them by about 20%. Still looks fine but allot more air flows in.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,604 Posts
OK, now I've got it fixed.

Someone had to do it.

MSX EXP Echoes Of The MXS (10 min 48 sec)
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,514 Posts
Cool music.
Blistering maneuvers- it's amazing these planes take this kind of stress time and time and time again- very exciting Doc!
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,604 Posts
We'll do that with yours next time!
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,709 Posts
One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE tracks!

Nice flying as well
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
553 Posts
Doc, your flying is inspirational! Thanks for posting!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,604 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the kind words.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Cool music....
Nobody is cooler than Pink Floyd.

Great vid, doc.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,439 Posts
Strictly for fun, I made up some "alternative" SFGs for the MXS. I was curious about what it would look like with some swept-back airliner-style "winglets".

This little exercise was all about looks, and nothing else. The idea was to give the plane a different look while hoping to not diminish its performance. I didn't fully appreciate the stock SFGs until I made my own, the objective being to have the alternatives be as good as the stock ones.

It wasn't an easy task. The stock units are mini-masterpieces. They're super-light, stiff, and actually quite strong. My winglets turned out pretty well, after a couple of false starts and do-overs. I learned as I went along, and my third attempt, using 6mm Depron foam sheet, finally produced something usable.

To my great surprise, the winglets came out to be slightly lighter overall than the stock units. Both weigh 18 grams, but the wingtip spacers I made out of 2mm Depron sheet are so light they don't register on my little digital scale. The clear plastic stock spacers weigh 3 grams, so the winglet setup installed is a hair lighter.

Depron sheet is very brittle and prone to cracking, but it's extremely light and fairly stiff. Fortunately, applying clear packaging tape (3M "Heavy Duty" is easily the best) on both sides of it makes if even stiffer, and very strong. Encapsulating it in the sticky-back Monokote trim sheet material I love so much makes the winglets really tough and stiff. The stock units are still slightly stiffer, but the winglets are certainly stiff enough.

End result: The winglets do look kinda cool, don'tcha think? We'll see how the MXS behaves with them. The plan is to do two flights with the stock SFGs, then change to the winglets, and see what happens. All I'm hoping for is equal flying characteristics. I expect no "improvement" of any kind.

I'll report back after the test, but I won't be able to fly for a few days.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
747 Posts
Are you saying you like the modded SFG's aesthetically better than the stock ones?
flygilmore is online now Find More Posts by flygilmore