HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,807 Posts
Knock, knock, knock.....any body home?

Just read thru the flying posts again and I'm thinking that you might have been suffering from a too aft CG.

I like to start flying testing by taping on way too much nose weight, so that full up elevator barely brings the nose up. It will be stable in pitch, but a pig to fly. Then remove some nose weight little by little until you notice that the elevator is becoming more responsive. It should still be pitch stable. Keep removing nose weight until it looks like you are a beginner pilot and the plane is jumping around in pitch.

I like doing this because the pitch stable version is fresh in your mind.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Condor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:00 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Knock, knock, knock.....any body home?

Just read thru the flying posts again and I'm thinking that you might have been suffering from a too aft CG.

I like to start flying testing by taping on way too much nose weight, so that full up elevator barely brings the nose up. It will be stable in pitch, but a pig to fly. Then remove some nose weight little by little until you notice that the elevator is becoming more responsive. It should still be pitch stable. Keep removing nose weight until it looks like you are a beginner pilot and the plane is jumping around in pitch.

I like doing this because the pitch stable version is fresh in your mind.

Kent
You are correct, when I smacked it up, it was way to light in the nose. I should not have taken out as much weight as I did. Lesson learned. I've been busy with my CNC machine as of late, Big push this weekend to get the bulk of it done) and have not revisited it. I'm really starting to miss not flying and have been spending maybe too much time on the CAD. On the bright side, I do have a real cool design in the CAD folder. Don't think one could call it a "flying wing." While it is finless, it does have one BIG A twin tail and a little bitty wing up front.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing a wood / glass / epoxy patch up job on the smacked up fuse and get things sorted out before I do any sort of rebuild. Might not end up looking the best, but I won't be so afraid of further crashing.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:53 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Might not end up looking the best, but I won't be so afraid of further crashing.

Mark
That's my motto......
Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Condor