Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Question
Any one in southern Hew Hampshire Gliders or slope soaring

I'm new to this and the more I learn about it I am leaning towards Gliders and slope soaring. I can't seem to find a lot of info for New England. I would really like to watch someone actually picking up the thermals and see how good it works. Any events or groups getting together etc. Any info would be great thanks.
wk662 is offline Find More Posts by wk662
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 03:16 AM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
I live in Dover NH and have been searching for good sloping spot for the last two years, unfortunately I haven't found a good one with stable wind. there's video of people sloping off of mount major, but the top of the mountain is rocks and the rest of it is thick trees.
antihero138 is offline Find More Posts by antihero138
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2 Posts
Not exactly in your town but we are in nearby Brattleboro, VT, (bafhome.org) also there is a club in Hudson and several who fly gliders around Bedford. The big active club with lots of gliders in New England is the CRRC (Charles River RC).
bobrondo is offline Find More Posts by bobrondo
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:00 PM
United States, NH, Stratham
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
I live in Stratham, NH and I've been eyeing Scammon Farm. Apparently it is accessible to the public when the fields are not in use (late October to early April I think) Has anyone tried it?
NHSloper is offline Find More Posts by NHSloper
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:43 AM
United States, NH, Stratham
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Also, I noticed that if you are into hiking and can break down your plane, the presidential ridge seems ideal. I haven't sloped on it, but I've hiked it many times. Edmands Path is definitely the easiest up to MT. Eisenhower which has a wide open grassy/mossy rounded peak in all directions. Just check the MT. Washington Weather for the wind. I plan on building a plane that I can strap to my backpack and hike up with it. Let me know if there are other Hiker/flyers!
NHSloper is offline Find More Posts by NHSloper
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,910 Posts
If Sudbury, MA is not too far, suggest you drop by our flying field some Sunday morning when the weather is good. On good days there are usually a bunch of us there.

I'm surprised Bob didn't mention the Pumpkin Fly. It's supposed to be in New Hampshire this year, I think. I don't know the date yet, but someone does.

If I was going slope soaring, I'd most likely go to Deer Island in Winthrop, which, depending on where you are in New Hampshire, might take less time for you to get to than for me, i.e. less than an hour.

For details on our site in Sudbury and on Deer Island, see charlesriverrc.org
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test